new to Business Server - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on new to Business Server - Veritas Net Backup ; I posted this question to veritas.netbackup.businesserver.windowsnt.english, but nobody seems to be on tht group but me. I had *hoped* that the tech support folks at Vertitas would at least monitor the groups on their own server..... ----------------- I recently purchased ...

  1. new to Business Server

    I posted this question to
    veritas.netbackup.businesserver.windowsnt.english, but nobody seems to
    be on tht group but me. I had *hoped* that the tech support folks at
    Vertitas would at least monitor the groups on their own server.....

    -----------------

    I recently purchased NB BusinessServer to automate our backups. I
    settled on this product, mainly because I had used NB Exec in a previous
    job. But I am somewhat stumped as to the overall philosophy of how this
    is supposed to work.

    Our setup:
    Win2000 AS with 3 servers.
    1 server has a connected RAID5 (this is primarily what I want to
    backup).
    1 of the other servers is where I installed NBBS
    This machine has a 100gb disk for the backups to reside - ie. I am not
    using a tape drive (many, many reasons for this - suffice it to say I
    loathe
    the thought of ever having to use a tape again).

    I have several questions (gee, I hope I am even asking the right
    questions here).

    - - - -
    I installed NBBS on the machine just fine. I went through the wizard to
    set things up the first time. When it went through this, it told me it
    couldn't find a tape drive (ok, that makes sense). I was able to tell
    it where I wanted the backups to reside on disk (sounds good so far).
    The "Storage Unit Management" function shows a single storage unit, and
    correctly ids it as a disk (still good).

    The Backup Policy Management shows 1 "class" (I assume that a "class" is
    a scheduled job?). It has a weekly full backup and daily incrementals,
    both with a 2 week retention period. Sounds good to me. HOWEVER, it
    only let me point to the entire machine to backup (the server with the
    raid), not selected portions of it (eg. just the raid). Is this right?

    *the big question*
    When I go to the Activity Monitor, it shows all of the services and
    managers running as a service EXCEPT the Device Manager. If I start it
    manually, it stops again almost immediately. Is this normal?
    Is it normal if you only have a disk for a storage unit and no tapes?
    If it is, fine, I can live with it (although it is unsettling).

    Ok folks - someone please give me a bit of guidance here.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

  2. Re: new to Business Server

    > *the big question*
    > When I go to the Activity Monitor, it shows all of the services and
    > managers running as a service EXCEPT the Device Manager. If I start it
    > manually, it stops again almost immediately. Is this normal?

    yes the device manager is just for tape and optical disk backup (LTID )

    > Is it normal if you only have a disk for a storage unit and no tapes?

    yes it is ,as a test just add a tape drive and all of a sudden you will see
    the device manager running

+ Reply to Thread