NT to Unix Restore - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NT to Unix Restore - Veritas Net Backup ; I am having problems with restoring from an NT master server to a unix client machine. It backups with no problem but when I do a restore to the unix machine it gets error 5, more specfialy it says it ...

  1. NT to Unix Restore

    I am having problems with restoring from an NT master server to a unix
    client machine. It backups with no problem but when I do a restore to
    the unix machine it gets error 5, more specfialy it says it cannot find
    the path spceified. But I am doing a restore to the origanal location!
    I have changed the path to diffrent destionations but get the same
    thing. I can restore it to the NT master and read the txt file fine so
    I know the data is there.

    Thanks in Advance,

    Sean Murphy
    Network Tech
    California Institute of the Arts
    smurphy@calarts.edu

  2. Re: NT to Unix Restore

    Unfortunatly I am new to the unix gig, the path that was used automatically was
    export:\home\smurphy\plsbackup.txt (I was talking to a tech and tried changing
    the backslashes to slashes thinking that the unix was not interpreting them
    correctly)but still got the same error.

    I went even as far as leaving out the "export:" just used
    /export/home/smurphy/plsbackup.txt but the server said it could not find the
    spceified file.

    I don't know how to initate the unix restore command or what files to modify so
    the client can do this. any help would be appriciated.

    Sean

    Andy T wrote:

    > Have you tried doing a client initiated restore yet?
    > (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bp is the curses based version) What path are you
    > specifying for the restore? Check everything again....
    > andy
    > "root" wrote in message
    > > I am having problems with restoring from an NT master server to a unix
    > > client machine. It backups with no problem but when I do a restore to
    > > the unix machine it gets error 5, more specfialy it says it cannot find
    > > the path spceified. But I am doing a restore to the origanal location!
    > > I have changed the path to diffrent destionations but get the same
    > > thing. I can restore it to the NT master and read the txt file fine so
    > > I know the data is there.
    > >
    > > Thanks in Advance,
    > >
    > > Sean Murphy
    > > Network Tech
    > > California Institute of the Arts
    > > smurphy@calarts.edu

  3. Re: NT to Unix Restore

    "root" wrote in message
    > I am having problems with restoring from an NT master server to a unix
    > client machine. It backups with no problem but when I do a restore to
    > the unix machine it gets error 5, more specfialy it says it cannot find
    > the path spceified. But I am doing a restore to the origanal location!
    > I have changed the path to diffrent destionations but get the same
    > thing. I can restore it to the NT master and read the txt file fine so
    > I know the data is there.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Sean Murphy
    > Network Tech
    > California Institute of the Arts
    > smurphy@calarts.edu

  4. Re: NT to Unix Restore

    On a Unix client, the text based tool to kick off a restore is
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bp (you will need to be root to run it)
    Select Restore (r) then Restore files from backups (or archives) as
    appropriate). When you get to this set of menus, change the path to
    something at the top of the filesystem like /export. Make sure that the rest
    of the info (source & destination client, master server, bla bla) is
    correct. Then do an S (for select files), this will give you a low-rent way
    to hack thru the directory tree to find the file you want (I for zoom in
    actually selects the directory, so if you did an I on the home directory in
    /export you would now be in /export/home). It's not the easiest thing to
    use, but it works pretty well. After you selected your file(s) for restore,
    hit O (for OK) and then I back at the main restore menu (for initiate
    restore). That's it.
    Andy
    "root" wrote in message
    > Unfortunatly I am new to the unix gig, the path that was used

    automatically was
    > export:\home\smurphy\plsbackup.txt (I was talking to a tech and tried

    changing
    > the backslashes to slashes thinking that the unix was not interpreting

    them
    > correctly)but still got the same error.
    >
    > I went even as far as leaving out the "export:" just used
    > /export/home/smurphy/plsbackup.txt but the server said it could not find

    the
    > spceified file.
    >
    > I don't know how to initate the unix restore command or what files to

    modify so
    > the client can do this. any help would be appriciated.
    >
    > Sean
    >
    > Andy T wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried doing a client initiated restore yet?
    > > (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bp is the curses based version) What path are

    you
    > > specifying for the restore? Check everything again....
    > > andy
    > > "root" wrote in message
    > > > I am having problems with restoring from an NT master server to a unix
    > > > client machine. It backups with no problem but when I do a restore to
    > > > the unix machine it gets error 5, more specfialy it says it cannot

    find
    > > > the path spceified. But I am doing a restore to the origanal

    location!
    > > > I have changed the path to diffrent destionations but get the same
    > > > thing. I can restore it to the NT master and read the txt file fine

    so
    > > > I know the data is there.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in Advance,
    > > >
    > > > Sean Murphy