Ideal Netbackup setup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Ideal Netbackup setup - Veritas Net Backup ; I am new to the backup process and I was wondering what is the ideal configuration in a mix enviroment. We have 2 DCs, 1 exchange server, and 1 sql server. We also have a co-lo with at around 50 ...

  1. Ideal Netbackup setup

    I am new to the backup process and I was wondering what is the ideal configuration
    in a mix enviroment. We have 2 DCs, 1 exchange server, and 1 sql server.
    We also have a co-lo with at around 50 machines running UNIX, as of now
    the backup is running off of a Sun server, butonly backing up the UNIX boxes.
    I want to be able to back up my dc's, exchange server, and the sql server.
    Do I need to also buy a copy for SQl and exchange? Are there any good sites
    out there that can help me with this implementation.
    Also are there any issues with having NetBackup running off of a UNIX box?
    Would there be any issues with that as well backing up my NT boxes?

    Thanks for your help,
    Doug

  2. Re: Ideal Netbackup setup

    We have a small setup like this:

    Sun master server
    NT slave server
    Both using Exabyte 220 tape libraries

    3 unix clients
    8 NT server clients
    8 PC Win9X and NT workstation clients

    The sun master has no problem backing up the NT server clients

    I use the NT slave for PC backups.

    Its a little overkill right now but we are planning on expanding NT and PC backup and
    one Sun client has a large Oracle database that contiues to grow.

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

+ Reply to Thread