Can't Expire or Unfreeze Tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Can't Expire or Unfreeze Tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Veritas Net Backup ; I have lot of Tapes which are not expiring with some reason. when I run the command ( # bpexpdate -ev xxxxx -d 0) to expire those tapes it shows me that Media Id is not available in VM or ...

  1. Can't Expire or Unfreeze Tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have lot of Tapes which are not expiring with some reason.
    when I run the command ( # bpexpdate -ev xxxxx -d 0) to expire those
    tapes it shows me that Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.
    So I can't expire those Tapes.

    Same thing happened with Frozen Tapes , when I want to unfreeze them it
    shows the same error Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.

    Thanks

    -Syed

  2. Re: Can't Expire or Unfreeze Tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    There is an "unfreeze" command to use with either the bpexpdate or some
    other command. I will find out if you still need assistance.

    "Imtiaz Rehman" wrote in message
    > I have lot of Tapes which are not expiring with some reason.
    > when I run the command ( # bpexpdate -ev xxxxx -d 0) to expire those
    > tapes it shows me that Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.
    > So I can't expire those Tapes.
    >
    > Same thing happened with Frozen Tapes , when I want to unfreeze them it
    > shows the same error Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -Syed

  3. Re: Can't Expire or Unfreeze Tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    "Imtiaz Rehman" wrote in message
    > I have lot of Tapes which are not expiring with some reason.
    > when I run the command ( # bpexpdate -ev xxxxx -d 0) to expire those
    > tapes it shows me that Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.
    > So I can't expire those Tapes.
    >
    > Same thing happened with Frozen Tapes , when I want to unfreeze them it
    > shows the same error Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.

    The VM database is on the Master server
    The MM database is on the Media server that has the media with the backups
    you want to expire
    (the same server that has the tapes you want to unfreeze)

    Either check for a "-h " switch for the command you
    are using, or just issue the command from the Media server that has the
    media in question.

    If still a problem ... use the reporting tool to determine if the media id
    you are referring to is still known.

    pkjohnston

    ---

  4. Re: Can't Expire or Unfreeze Tapes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    "Greg Vincent" wrote:
    >There is an "unfreeze" command to use with either the bpexpdate or some
    >other command. I will find out if you still need assistance.
    >
    >"Imtiaz Rehman" wrote in message
    >> I have lot of Tapes which are not expiring with some reason.
    >> when I run the command ( # bpexpdate -ev xxxxx -d 0) to expire those
    >> tapes it shows me that Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.
    >> So I can't expire those Tapes.
    >>
    >> Same thing happened with Frozen Tapes , when I want to unfreeze them it
    >> shows the same error Media Id is not available in VM or MM Database.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> -Syed

    If you have one or several media servers, this will solve your issue. Run
    a media list report and find out which media server the tape is listed under.
    Run the command from the appropriate media server. I ran into the odd situation
    when required to freeze tapes. It appears that the media server that had
    initiated a requested on the particular tape "owns" that tape and administration
    of the tape needs to be done from that media server.

    I hope that helps!

+ Reply to Thread