C drive won't backup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on C drive won't backup - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I am new to this product, and I was hoping I could get some help in this newsgroup. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I have 8 Dell Poweredge servers, with Veritas NetBackup installed. According ...

  1. C drive won't backup

    Hello,

    I am new to this product, and I was hoping I could get some help in this
    newsgroup. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

    I have 8 Dell Poweredge servers, with Veritas NetBackup installed.
    According to the "about NetBackup" I have version 3.1.5 installed.

    Here is where it gets tricky. The servers are backed up to a central silo
    in another building overnight. The "master" copy of NetBackup (for lack of
    a better term) resides on a UNIX machine that I do not have control over.
    Another person runs this workstation, and the workstation directs the
    activity of the clients (i.e. my servers) in the backup process as they
    backup over the network to the tape silo.

    This person hasn't been able to tell me very much -- he doesn't even know
    what flavor of NetBackup we have (DataCenter, Business Server,
    Professional).

    My main problem is that I am not getting any backups on my C: drive. The D:
    and E: drive of each server is backed up as they are scheduled to, but the
    only thing that gets backed up on C: is the "veritas" directory. The UNIX
    operator is baffled, and I don't know where else to turn at this point.

    1. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the C: drive backed up
    correctly?
    2. Can someone let me know if there is a way to tell what flavor of
    NetBackup we are running.

    Thanks so much!

  2. Re: C drive won't backup

    Hi,

    I am not sure to understand correctly your answer, but to backup your C
    drive you can create a separate class which will backup C: (in the file list)
    or on your class backuping D and E, add C or all_local_drive which will backup
    all your drive on the server. So if you had a new drive in your server, you
    don't have to change your class, but you can have a lack of performance,
    it depends the amount of data to backup and the size of your drive ...

    Regards.

    Laurent.

    "Anthony Ferguson" wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I am new to this product, and I was hoping I could get some help in this
    >newsgroup. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >I have 8 Dell Poweredge servers, with Veritas NetBackup installed.
    >According to the "about NetBackup" I have version 3.1.5 installed.
    >
    >Here is where it gets tricky. The servers are backed up to a central silo
    >in another building overnight. The "master" copy of NetBackup (for lack

    of
    >a better term) resides on a UNIX machine that I do not have control over.
    >Another person runs this workstation, and the workstation directs the
    >activity of the clients (i.e. my servers) in the backup process as they
    >backup over the network to the tape silo.
    >
    >This person hasn't been able to tell me very much -- he doesn't even know
    >what flavor of NetBackup we have (DataCenter, Business Server,
    >Professional).
    >
    >My main problem is that I am not getting any backups on my C: drive. The

    D:
    >and E: drive of each server is backed up as they are scheduled to, but the
    >only thing that gets backed up on C: is the "veritas" directory. The UNIX
    >operator is baffled, and I don't know where else to turn at this point.
    >
    >1. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the C: drive backed

    up
    >correctly?
    >2. Can someone let me know if there is a way to tell what flavor of
    >NetBackup we are running.
    >
    >Thanks so much!

  3. Re: C drive won't backup

    Hmmm, I guess I didn't explain myself real well, judging by the lack of
    backed up is the "veritas" directory on C:\. When I browse thru my backups,
    the only thing I can choose to restore on the C:\ drive is the veritas
    directory. D: and E: drives are backing up just fine.

    As far as classes are concerned, again, I do not have control of the unix
    box that is the "master controller" for all of the backups. According to
    the operator, everything is set up correctly, which is obviously wrong or my
    ENTIRE C:\ drive would be backing up. The server is backing up, when it's
    supposed to, but not everything on the C: drive gets backed up and it's
    quite frustrating.

    Has anyone seen this type of behavior before with this product?

    Thanks so much,
    Tony

    Laurent Stirnemann wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am not sure to understand correctly your answer, but to backup your C
    > drive you can create a separate class which will backup C: (in the file

    list)
    > or on your class backuping D and E, add C or all_local_drive which will

    backup
    > all your drive on the server. So if you had a new drive in your server,

    you
    > don't have to change your class, but you can have a lack of performance,
    > it depends the amount of data to backup and the size of your drive ...
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Laurent.
    >

    > "Anthony Ferguson" wrote:
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I am new to this product, and I was hoping I could get some help in this
    > >newsgroup. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    > >
    > >I have 8 Dell Poweredge servers, with Veritas NetBackup installed.
    > >According to the "about NetBackup" I have version 3.1.5 installed.
    > >
    > >Here is where it gets tricky. The servers are backed up to a central

    silo
    > >in another building overnight. The "master" copy of NetBackup (for lack

    > of
    > >a better term) resides on a UNIX machine that I do not have control over.
    > >Another person runs this workstation, and the workstation directs the
    > >activity of the clients (i.e. my servers) in the backup process as they
    > >backup over the network to the tape silo.
    > >
    > >This person hasn't been able to tell me very much -- he doesn't even know
    > >what flavor of NetBackup we have (DataCenter, Business Server,
    > >Professional).
    > >
    > >My main problem is that I am not getting any backups on my C: drive. The

    > D:
    > >and E: drive of each server is backed up as they are scheduled to, but

    the
    > >only thing that gets backed up on C: is the "veritas" directory. The

    UNIX
    > >operator is baffled, and I don't know where else to turn at this point.
    > >
    > >1. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the C: drive backed

    > up
    > >correctly?
    > >2. Can someone let me know if there is a way to tell what flavor of
    > >NetBackup we are running.
    > >
    > >Thanks so much!

  4. Re: C drive won't backup

    Hi,
    In fear of you not having any secure backups of C: and as test.
    Can you, from the NT machine start a manual backup of the C:.
    If this fails - as Laurent said, the files section of the schedule may not
    have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES selected and may specify d: e: etc and not c:. Additionally,
    there may not be a valid backup window.
    If it succeeds, it proves that authentication and a class& schedule are setup,
    it cannot prove the 'file list'.
    But at least you have a backup, for now.

    When the unix guy checks the job monitor for backups that have run. Does
    he see a failure log for the c: on the affected machine? If not then it is
    the 'file list' that may be wrong.

    Perhaps it is an issue with the filesystem type of the C: drive
    FAT or NTFS...

    Have you got any other NT machines that it can be compared with on-site.

    "Anthony Ferguson" wrote:
> [...]

    >> >This person hasn't been able to tell me very much -- he doesn't even

    know
    >> >what flavor of NetBackup we have (DataCenter, Business Server,
    >> >Professional).
    >> >
    >> >My main problem is that I am not getting any backups on my C: drive.

    The
    >> D:
    >> >and E: drive of each server is backed up as they are scheduled to, but

    >the
    >> >only thing that gets backed up on C: is the "veritas" directory. The

    >UNIX
    >> >operator is baffled, and I don't know where else to turn at this point.
    >> >
    >> >1. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the C: drive backed

    >> up
    >> >correctly?
    >> >2. Can someone let me know if there is a way to tell what flavor of

  5. Re: C drive won't backup

    If you access the client from start- configure netbackup
    on the master server there are tabs for include and
    exclude. It may be that the exclude portion has C:\
    and the include portion has C:\veritas. Its a long shot
    but worth checking.

    "Anthony Ferguson" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to this product, and I was hoping I could get some help in this
    > newsgroup. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > I have 8 Dell Poweredge servers, with Veritas NetBackup installed.
    > According to the "about NetBackup" I have version 3.1.5 installed.
    >
    > Here is where it gets tricky. The servers are backed up to a central silo
    > in another building overnight. The "master" copy of NetBackup (for lack

    of
    > a better term) resides on a UNIX machine that I do not have control over.
    > Another person runs this workstation, and the workstation directs the
    > activity of the clients (i.e. my servers) in the backup process as they
    > backup over the network to the tape silo.
    >
    > This person hasn't been able to tell me very much -- he doesn't even know
    > what flavor of NetBackup we have (DataCenter, Business Server,
    > Professional).
    >
    > My main problem is that I am not getting any backups on my C: drive. The

    D:
    > and E: drive of each server is backed up as they are scheduled to, but the
    > only thing that gets backed up on C: is the "veritas" directory. The UNIX
    > operator is baffled, and I don't know where else to turn at this point.
    >
    > 1. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the C: drive backed

    up
    > correctly?
    > 2. Can someone let me know if there is a way to tell what flavor of
    > NetBackup we are running.
    >
    > Thanks so much!

+ Reply to Thread