Very slow backup on NT clients - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Very slow backup on NT clients - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I am running NetBackup 3.2 on a Sun E250 with Solaris 2.7: all the Unix clients are backed up properly. I also have five NT 4 Server as NetBackup clients on the same subnet, and the performances on all ...

  1. Very slow backup on NT clients

    Hi,

    I am running NetBackup 3.2 on a Sun E250 with Solaris 2.7: all the Unix clients
    are backed up properly.
    I also have five NT 4 Server as NetBackup clients on the same subnet, and
    the performances on all of them are very, very slow, in the order of kb/sec.
    I have already disabled NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate (TechNote ID 180017)
    and set the network cards to 100 Mbit Full Duplex (TechNote ID 203981) but
    nothing has changed.

    What am I doing wrong or what should I check next?

    Thanks in advance

    Loris Serena
    mailto:lserena@wolfegroup.ie

  2. Re: Very slow backup on NT clients

    Hi,
    Compression??
    It is the most likely cause.
    Try switching off for a backup and if that is the problem you will notice
    the difference very quickly.

    "Loris Serena" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am running NetBackup 3.2 on a Sun E250 with Solaris 2.7: all the Unix

    clients
    >are backed up properly.
    >I also have five NT 4 Server as NetBackup clients on the same subnet, and
    >the performances on all of them are very, very slow, in the order of kb/sec.
    >I have already disabled NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate (TechNote ID 180017)
    >and set the network cards to 100 Mbit Full Duplex (TechNote ID 203981) but
    >nothing has changed.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong or what should I check next?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Loris Serena
    >mailto:lserena@wolfegroup.ie

  3. Re: Very slow backup on NT clients

    I didn't think compression was available for NT clients in 3.2.

    Barth

    Jason Brooks wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Compression??
    > It is the most likely cause.
    > Try switching off for a backup and if that is the problem you will notice
    > the difference very quickly.
    >
    > "Loris Serena" wrote:
    > >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I am running NetBackup 3.2 on a Sun E250 with Solaris 2.7: all the Unix

    > clients
    > >are backed up properly.
    > >I also have five NT 4 Server as NetBackup clients on the same subnet, and
    > >the performances on all of them are very, very slow, in the order of kb/sec.
    > >I have already disabled NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate (TechNote ID 180017)
    > >and set the network cards to 100 Mbit Full Duplex (TechNote ID 203981) but
    > >nothing has changed.
    > >
    > >What am I doing wrong or what should I check next?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Loris Serena
    > >mailto:lserena@wolfegroup.ie

  4. Re: Very slow backup on NT clients

    I recently have the same problem for backing up our file server.
    Still haven't figured it out but have a haunch that the patch that was applied
    to the server may be the culprit. The patch is J0820443. When I was using
    the previous patch J0820412, I did not encounter the slow backup at all.
    I am now looking for a way to rollback to the older patch.

    Mike Lim
    mailto:mlim@statestreet.com

    "Jason Brooks" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Compression??
    >It is the most likely cause.
    >Try switching off for a backup and if that is the problem you will notice
    >the difference very quickly.
    >
    >"Loris Serena" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am running NetBackup 3.2 on a Sun E250 with Solaris 2.7: all the Unix

    >clients
    >>are backed up properly.
    >>I also have five NT 4 Server as NetBackup clients on the same subnet, and
    >>the performances on all of them are very, very slow, in the order of kb/sec.
    >>I have already disabled NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate (TechNote ID 180017)
    >>and set the network cards to 100 Mbit Full Duplex (TechNote ID 203981)

    but
    >>nothing has changed.
    >>
    >>What am I doing wrong or what should I check next?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Loris Serena
    >>mailto:lserena@wolfegroup.ie

  5. Re: Very slow backup on NT clients

    Barth Siemens wrote:
    > Jason Brooks wrote:

    > > Compression??
    > > It is the most likely cause.
    > > Try switching off for a backup and if that is the problem you will notice
    > > the difference very quickly.

    > I didn't think compression was available for NT clients in 3.2.

    you're right, winnt client software compression was not available in
    version 3.2, it appears in version 3.4.

    fx

    --
    sigfault - core dump