Application errors on cmd.exe & bpdbm.exe v3.4 DataCenter on NT 4.0 SP6a - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Application errors on cmd.exe & bpdbm.exe v3.4 DataCenter on NT 4.0 SP6a - Veritas Net Backup ; Has anyone seen where backups are running a heavy load where application error's (2) pops up on the Master Server (NT 4.0 SP6a) for cmd.exe (commctl32.dll failed) and bpdbm.exe (kernel32.dll failed); media servers (NT 4.0 SP6a) will Dr. Watson on ...

  1. Application errors on cmd.exe & bpdbm.exe v3.4 DataCenter on NT 4.0 SP6a

    Has anyone seen where backups are running a heavy load where application error's
    (2) pops up on the Master Server (NT 4.0 SP6a) for cmd.exe (commctl32.dll
    failed) and bpdbm.exe (kernel32.dll failed); media servers (NT 4.0 SP6a)
    will Dr. Watson on bptm.exe and you must amnually clear them on each media
    server that it pops up on. Nothing in the event viewer on any of the machines
    in the cluster. We have re-installed NetBackup v3.4 Datacenter + patch several
    times and we still see the exact same issue when backups are under a heavy
    load on the master server. We've been working with tech support at Veritas
    (have sent them more logs than I can count) but to no avail have they been
    successful at helping us resolve this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Monte Kasper

  2. Re: Application errors on cmd.exe & bpdbm.exe v3.4 DataCenter on NT 4.0 SP6a

    I feel your pain...

    I had the same problem but on two Windows 2000.

    It was fixed by correcting an unrelated error on the DNS servers. My guess
    (and that's all it is), the application is failing to properly resolve the
    name of the computer it is on or the master/media server.

    Ex: DNS was returning the secondary NIC address on my master server and
    bpdbm would fail with an application error. Netbackup logs did not show
    this information because the error was being generated at the OS level, not
    the veritas executable failing to perform a job.

    I'd susggest checking your dns resolution for the master server, media
    server and clients.

    GOOD LUCK, it was very frusttrating for me.

    Luis Baez

    "Monte Kasper" wrote in message

    > Has anyone seen where backups are running a heavy load where application

    error's
    > (2) pops up on the Master Server (NT 4.0 SP6a) for cmd.exe (commctl32.dll
    > failed) and bpdbm.exe (kernel32.dll failed); media servers (NT 4.0 SP6a)
    > will Dr. Watson on bptm.exe and you must amnually clear them on each media
    > server that it pops up on. Nothing in the event viewer on any of the

    machines
    > in the cluster. We have re-installed NetBackup v3.4 Datacenter + patch

    several
    > times and we still see the exact same issue when backups are under a heavy
    > load on the master server. We've been working with tech support at Veritas
    > (have sent them more logs than I can count) but to no avail have they been
    > successful at helping us resolve this problem. Any suggestions would be

    appreciated.

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Monte Kasper

+ Reply to Thread