Individual Mailbox backups withing NetB3.4 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Individual Mailbox backups withing NetB3.4 - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment. We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded on the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store and ...

  1. Individual Mailbox backups withing NetB3.4

    Hi,

    we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment.
    We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded on
    the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store and
    mailboxes, but not individal mailboxes - doesn't give the option to select
    users. on the exchange (nt4, exch 5.5) server when opening netbackup cleint
    and select witch files to backup it doesn't display any individual
    mailboxes. the config has been setup following to the install procedure by
    veritas.

    service account has admin access permissionson to mailbox it uses which has
    been added to the config - netbackup client option exchange button.

    any ideas?
    thanks in advance
    anton

  2. Re: Individual Mailbox backups withing NetB3.4

    Anton,

    You're right, you don't see individual mailboxes. That's because you have
    to manually discover them within the agent and then manually type the path
    to each mailbox you want included. Not sure how many users you've got, but
    imagine manually typing this stuff in for 1000+ users! Also, I got turned
    off by the fact that there isn't a way to check what you've typed is correct.
    Therefore you better be a slow, hunt-and-peck typer or be a great editor.

    Also, remember you're going to be forced to do full brick-level backups eventually.....SLOWWWWW.

    "Anton" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment.
    >We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded

    on
    >the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store

    and
    >mailboxes, but not individal mailboxes - doesn't give the option to select
    >users. on the exchange (nt4, exch 5.5) server when opening netbackup cleint
    >and select witch files to backup it doesn't display any individual
    >mailboxes. the config has been setup following to the install procedure

    by
    >veritas.
    >
    >service account has admin access permissionson to mailbox it uses which

    has
    >been added to the config - netbackup client option exchange button.
    >
    >any ideas?
    >thanks in advance
    >anton

  3. Re: Individual Mailbox backups withing NetB3.4

    If you find out let me know. I am stuck in the same position as you are. I
    set my Exchange permissions and Netbackup Configurations as needed, but am
    unable to backup any individual mailboxes.

    "Anton" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment.
    > We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded

    on
    > the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store

    and
    > mailboxes, but not individal mailboxes - doesn't give the option to select
    > users. on the exchange (nt4, exch 5.5) server when opening netbackup

    cleint
    > and select witch files to backup it doesn't display any individual
    > mailboxes. the config has been setup following to the install procedure by
    > veritas.
    >
    > service account has admin access permissionson to mailbox it uses which

    has
    > been added to the config - netbackup client option exchange button.
    >
    > any ideas?
    > thanks in advance
    > anton

  4. I figured my issue out.

    Take a look at the Windows NT account that has Logon permissions to the
    Information Store. Then set the NetBackup Client Service to start with this
    userid and password.

    This allowed Netbackup to logon to the Information store and back up the
    individual mailboxes that I set in the Files List.

    Let me know if it works for you.

    "Anton" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment.
    > We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded

    on
    > the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store

    and
    > mailboxes, but not individal mailboxes - doesn't give the option to select
    > users. on the exchange (nt4, exch 5.5) server when opening netbackup

    cleint
    > and select witch files to backup it doesn't display any individual
    > mailboxes. the config has been setup following to the install procedure by
    > veritas.
    >
    > service account has admin access permissionson to mailbox it uses which

    has
    > been added to the config - netbackup client option exchange button.
    >
    > any ideas?
    > thanks in advance
    > anton

  5. Re: Individual Mailbox backups withing NetB3.4

    "Jonathan Cragle" wrote:

    >Anton,
    >
    >You're right, you don't see individual mailboxes. That's because you have
    >to manually discover them within the agent and then manually type the path
    >to each mailbox you want included. Not sure how many users you've got,

    but
    >imagine manually typing this stuff in for 1000+ users! Also, I got turned
    >off by the fact that there isn't a way to check what you've typed is correct.
    > Therefore you better be a slow, hunt-and-peck typer or be a great editor.
    >
    >Also, remember you're going to be forced to do full brick-level backups

    eventually.....SLOWWWWW.

    >"Anton" wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment.
    >>We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded

    >on
    >>the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store

    >and
    >>mailboxes, but not individal mailboxes - doesn't give the option to select
    >>users. on the exchange (nt4, exch 5.5) server when opening netbackup cleint
    >>and select witch files to backup it doesn't display any individual
    >>mailboxes. the config has been setup following to the install procedure

    >by
    >>veritas.
    >>
    >>service account has admin access permissionson to mailbox it uses which

    >has
    >>been added to the config - netbackup client option exchange button.
    >>
    >>any ideas?
    >>thanks in advance
    >>anton

  6. Re: I figured my issue out.

    I did the same. When I changed the netbackup client to use a domain admin
    account to start the service then
    everything worked fine. I did have to stop/restart the
    services on the master server first.

    "Greg Vincent" wrote in message
    > Take a look at the Windows NT account that has Logon permissions to the
    > Information Store. Then set the NetBackup Client Service to start with

    this
    > userid and password.
    >
    > This allowed Netbackup to logon to the Information store and back up the
    > individual mailboxes that I set in the Files List.
    >
    > Let me know if it works for you.
    >
    > "Anton" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > we've recently implemented Netb 3.4 and still new to it at the moment.
    > > We are running NetBackup 3.4 with exchange client and NetB client loaded

    > on
    > > the exchange server, we can backup the Exchange directory and Info store

    > and
    > > mailboxes, but not individal mailboxes - doesn't give the option to

    select
    > > users. on the exchange (nt4, exch 5.5) server when opening netbackup

    > cleint
    > > and select witch files to backup it doesn't display any individual
    > > mailboxes. the config has been setup following to the install procedure

    by
    > > veritas.
    > >
    > > service account has admin access permissionson to mailbox it uses which

    > has
    > > been added to the config - netbackup client option exchange button.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    > > thanks in advance
    > > anton

+ Reply to Thread