NT Backup pauses for hours at a time - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NT Backup pauses for hours at a time - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi there, We're backing up an NT client machine that will pause for hours, not writing any data at all, during the course of a backup. We're backing up 10 Gb of data, 3.5 million files. We've disabled OTM, and ...

  1. NT Backup pauses for hours at a time

    Hi there,

    We're backing up an NT client machine that will pause for hours, not
    writing any
    data at all, during the course of a backup. We're backing up 10 Gb of
    data, 3.5 million files. We've disabled OTM, and I've added a registry
    entry for
    LOCKED_FILE_ACTION = SKIP to the registry, but still no change.

    Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

    Thanks,

    ....Paul Bradshaw

  2. Re: NT Backup pauses for hours at a time

    Paul Bradshaw wrote:

    > We're backing up an NT client machine that will pause for hours, not
    > writing any data at all, during the course of a backup. We're backing
    > up 10 Gb of data, 3.5 million files. We've disabled OTM, and I've added
    > a registry entry for LOCKED_FILE_ACTION = SKIP to the registry, but still
    > no change.
    >
    > Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

    nope. but did you activate the logs ? i would begin with bpbkar
    on the client and bptm + bprm on the slave. check the troubleshooting
    guide for more details to create them. check system activity too,
    perhaps you have some process running during the backup that could
    cause this.

    fx

    disclaimer: i speak for myself, and sometimes i'm wrong.

    --
    fx@4js.com | the only problem with troubleshooting
    Networking & system stuff | is that sometimes trouble shoots back

  3. Re: NT Backup pauses for hours at a time

    3.5 mill files seems quite a bit, we had similar problem a while ago where
    an application dumped 100 000 trace files in winnt\system32 directory each
    containg name lenght of 20+ characters. deleted these files and all were ok.

    "fx" wrote in message news:3958DA6A.CE2F6B14@4js.com...
    > Paul Bradshaw wrote:
    >
    > > We're backing up an NT client machine that will pause for hours, not
    > > writing any data at all, during the course of a backup. We're backing
    > > up 10 Gb of data, 3.5 million files. We've disabled OTM, and I've added
    > > a registry entry for LOCKED_FILE_ACTION = SKIP to the registry, but

    still
    > > no change.
    > >
    > > Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

    > nope. but did you activate the logs ? i would begin with bpbkar
    > on the client and bptm + bprm on the slave. check the troubleshooting
    > guide for more details to create them. check system activity too,
    > perhaps you have some process running during the backup that could
    > cause this.
    >
    > fx
    >
    > disclaimer: i speak for myself, and sometimes i'm wrong.
    >
    > --
    > fx@4js.com | the only problem with troubleshooting
    > Networking & system stuff | is that sometimes trouble shoots back
    > http://www.4js.com/ | - alt.sysadmin.recovery

  4. Re: NT Backup pauses for hours at a time

    1. Is the NT Scheduler Service running ? It has to be or backups will not
    fire off.
    2. Check your AT command for errors.

    Otherwise go to www.microsoft.com or www.technet.com for info.

    Paul Bradshaw wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > We're backing up an NT client machine that will pause for hours, not
    > writing any
    > data at all, during the course of a backup. We're backing up 10 Gb of
    > data, 3.5 million files. We've disabled OTM, and I've added a registry
    > entry for
    > LOCKED_FILE_ACTION = SKIP to the registry, but still no change.
    >
    > Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ...Paul Bradshaw

  5. Re: NT Backup pauses for hours at a time

    Hello,
    I did experience a similar problem when backing up a NT client with many
    files but, my backup usually failed.
    It sounds like you eventually get a successfull backup.
    To resolve my problem, I increased the client_read_time to 2400. See pg 223
    of the sysadm guide.
    My understanding of NBU is that is will scan the client and build a list
    of files required backing up. A server with many files could take additional
    time.
    I would think there is a tuning parameter.
    Are the tape drives ready ?
    Does the wait occur for both Fulls and increamentals ?
    Email me if this info helped or if you've resolved the problem.
    Regards, Dave H.
    MAK wrote:
    >1. Is the NT Scheduler Service running ? It has to be or backups will not
    >fire off.
    >2. Check your AT command for errors.
    >
    > Otherwise go to www.microsoft.com or www.technet.com for info.
    >
    >Paul Bradshaw wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> We're backing up an NT client machine that will pause for hours, not
    >> writing any
    >> data at all, during the course of a backup. We're backing up 10 Gb of
    >> data, 3.5 million files. We've disabled OTM, and I've added a registry
    >> entry for
    >> LOCKED_FILE_ACTION = SKIP to the registry, but still no change.
    >>
    >> Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> ...Paul Bradshaw

+ Reply to Thread