Frozen Media - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Frozen Media - Veritas Net Backup ; We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted to use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The software put them into status frozen even though we had ...

  1. Frozen Media

    We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted to
    use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The software
    put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite MSTF1.
    Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

  2. Re: Frozen Media

    Tinky..
    Change directory on your master server to-->
    install_path\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd
    Then use the below command to free the media in your dB.
    bpexpdate -ev media_id -d 0
    More information on this command
    check out page 352 of the NetBackup System Administrators
    guide for Windows NT. This is a good question, I believe there
    needs to be an erase feature built into the software.
    -Jeff

    "Tinky Winky" wrote:

    >We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted

    >use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The software
    >put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite MSTF1.
    > Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

  3. Re: Frozen Media

    Jeff,
    Thanks, I had tried that the other day (probably should have said that).
    I get an error:
    requested media ID was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database.
    It shows up in Media manager (don't know where else to look)...

    "Jeff" wrote:

    >Tinky..
    > Change directory on your master server to-->
    > install_path\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd
    > Then use the below command to free the media in your dB.
    > bpexpdate -ev media_id -d 0
    > More information on this command
    > check out page 352 of the NetBackup System Administrators
    > guide for Windows NT. This is a good question, I believe there
    > needs to be an erase feature built into the software.
    >-Jeff
    >

    >"Tinky Winky" wrote:
    >>
    >>We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted

    >>use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The software
    >>put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite MSTF1.
    >> Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

  4. Re: Frozen Media

    Tinky Winky wrote:

    > We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted to
    > use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The software
    > put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite MSTF1.

    did you check the report (problem with backups) - it should tell you
    why it frozed the media ?

    > Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

    use bplabel to overwrite the label and checkin the tape.

    fx

    disclaimer: i speak for myself, and sometimes i'm wrong.

    --
    fx@4js.com | the only problem with troubleshooting
    Networking & system stuff | is that sometimes trouble shoots back

  5. Re: Frozen Media

    I recently had this problem with tapes used by Backup Exec. Add the following
    line to the bp.conf to allow overwrites of the MTF1 format.

    ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE = MTF1

    Glen

    Tinky Winky wrote:

    > We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted to
    > use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The software
    > put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite MSTF1.
    > Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

  6. Re: Frozen Media

    if you are using NT,

    you can make the changes through the GUI by:
    Storage Unit Management Application
    Right Click on Master or Media Server to allow overwrite
    go to Properties
    go to Media
    Allow media overwrite
    place check mark by all that apply (in your case MFT1).

    Luis

    "Glen Wize" wrote in message
    > I recently had this problem with tapes used by Backup Exec. Add the

    following
    > line to the bp.conf to allow overwrites of the MTF1 format.
    >
    > ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE = MTF1
    >
    > Glen
    >

    > Tinky Winky wrote:
    >
    > > We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted

    > > use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The

    software
    > > put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite

    MSTF1.
    > > Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

  7. Re: Frozen Media

    Worst comes to worst use NT Backup to erase the tapes then use new barcodes.
    I'm sure theres a better way.
    -Jeff

    "Luis Baez" wrote:
    >if you are using NT,
    >
    >you can make the changes through the GUI by:
    > Storage Unit Management Application
    > Right Click on Master or Media Server to allow overwrite
    > go to Properties
    > go to Media
    > Allow media overwrite
    > place check mark by all that apply (in your case MFT1).
    >
    >Luis
    >
    >"Glen Wize" wrote in message
    >> I recently had this problem with tapes used by Backup Exec. Add the

    >following
    >> line to the bp.conf to allow overwrites of the MTF1 format.
    >>
    >> ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE = MTF1
    >>
    >> Glen
    >>

    >> Tinky Winky wrote:
    >>
    >> > We moed from Backup Exec to netbackup with our new server and we wanted

    >> > use our old tapes, which are pretty new - 1 or 2 backups each. The

    >software
    >> > put them into status frozen even though we had checked the overwrite

    >MSTF1.
    >> > Is there any way to format these tapes so they are useable?

  8. Re: Frozen Media

    Net Backup 3.2 Situation:
    Tape A01 was assigned Nov 99. It is ready to be written on again. It is
    physically in the storage library, and Media & Device Mgmt verifies this.
    We receive the following error message when running bpexpdate:
    "requested media ID was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database."

    We have this problem on many tapes and have contacted veritas support. They
    say this is a rare problem, and that bpexpdate should fix it. In some cases
    it has, but not in our current situation regarding about 40 tapes. Our work
    around has been to change the bar code. We want a fix. Thanks in advance.

    "Tinky Winky" wrote:

    >Jeff,
    >Thanks, I had tried that the other day (probably should have said that).
    >I get an error:
    >requested media ID was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database.
    >It shows up in Media manager (don't know where else to look)...

  9. Re: Frozen Media

    Here's the text of a script I wrote to do just this, hope it helps:

    Const ForReading = 1

    Set SOURCE = objFSO.OpenTextFile("E:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\OldTapeList.t xt",
    ForReading)
    Dim EXPIRE
    EXPIRE = "bpexpdate -d 0 -m"

    Do Until SOURCE.AtEndOfStream
    TAPE = SOURCE.ReadLine
    WshShell.Run""+EXPIRE+" "+TAPE+" -force"
    Loop

    SOURCE.Close

    As you can see, the script is going to be looking for a text rile containing
    the tape ID's you want to expire called "OldTapeList.txt". I found it easiest
    to highlight all the tapes you want to expire, Ctrl-C, then Ctrl-V to a spreadsheet
    to isolate the tape ID's, then select just the tape ID's and paste them into
    your expiration list.

    Feel free to change any of this however you see fit, but I've used it and
    it works well and expires everything in the tape list in parallel. This
    script is also pretty useful for any other commands you might want to run
    on a list of objects.

+ Reply to Thread