error requesting media - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on error requesting media - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a very serious issue here. Here's my setup: NetBackup v3.2 on Windows NT 4.0 (server) w/SP 5 - 1 GB RAM - Dual Processors - 2 Adaptec 2944UW SCSI adapters StorageTek 9714 - 3 DLT 7000 drives - ...

  1. error requesting media

    I have a very serious issue here. Here's my setup:

    NetBackup v3.2 on Windows NT 4.0 (server) w/SP 5
    - 1 GB RAM
    - Dual Processors
    - 2 Adaptec 2944UW SCSI adapters

    StorageTek 9714
    - 3 DLT 7000 drives
    - 2 drives share one bus
    - 1 drive and robot on one bus

    Problem:

    When kicking off a manual backup, NetBackup loads the appropriate volume
    in the tape drive but just hangs afterwards for about 6min. The error message
    I recieve is error requesting media (tpreq). I did a manual mount or 'tpreq'
    from the command line and yes I was able to mount a tape into one of the
    drives. However, it appears as though something is timing out or not communicating
    properly.

    As I said before, NetBackup will physically mount the dlt into the drive
    but "logically" NetBackup fails to mount the media. I've tried nearly everything
    within reason and have not been remotely successful. I even tried a backup
    using NT Backup and guess what? That worked!

    I'm getting pretty desparate here...help.

    -jlh

  2. Re: error requesting media

    Is it just one drive or all of the drives that display that type of behaviour?

    Check your event viewer, there may be some information there by ltid. Also
    you may want to set ltid to verbose mode from your interface and begin this
    testing again. Is this only when you do a manual backup or both manual and
    scheduled?

    -David Chapa
    "Jason Harrell" wrote:

    >I have a very serious issue here. Here's my setup:
    >
    >NetBackup v3.2 on Windows NT 4.0 (server) w/SP 5
    > - 1 GB RAM
    > - Dual Processors
    > - 2 Adaptec 2944UW SCSI adapters
    >
    >StorageTek 9714
    > - 3 DLT 7000 drives
    > - 2 drives share one bus
    > - 1 drive and robot on one bus
    >
    >Problem:
    >
    >When kicking off a manual backup, NetBackup loads the appropriate volume
    >in the tape drive but just hangs afterwards for about 6min. The error message
    >I recieve is error requesting media (tpreq). I did a manual mount or 'tpreq'
    >from the command line and yes I was able to mount a tape into one of the
    >drives. However, it appears as though something is timing out or not communicating
    >properly.
    >
    >As I said before, NetBackup will physically mount the dlt into the drive
    >but "logically" NetBackup fails to mount the media. I've tried nearly everything
    >within reason and have not been remotely successful. I even tried a backup
    >using NT Backup and guess what? That worked!
    >
    >I'm getting pretty desparate here...help.
    >
    >-jlh

  3. Re: error requesting media

    Thanks for the response David. I've gone through an extensive
    troubleshooting session today and have still come up empty handed. I was
    not aware that there was new patch (Jxxxx326 vs.Jxxxx226) so I downloaded
    the latest NetBackup for NT patch and installed it. Now, I don't get status
    code 98 errors anymore but something even MORE weird happens.

    When I initiate a manual backup, ltid loads the correct media ID into the
    correct drive. However, ltid downs a drive (not the drive it mounted the
    tape in) and says gives a warning message; Sorry I can't think of the error
    message right now. At any rate, I have NO idea what is going on. I've
    installed NetBackup plenty of times and I don't see what's so different
    about this install.

    I'll have to post some of the log files after I scrub them a bit. BTW, how
    do I log messages from ltid? I put "VERBOSE" in the vm.conf file but what
    else do I need to do?

    TIA,

    -jlh
    David Chapa wrote in message

    > Is it just one drive or all of the drives that display that type of

    behaviour?

    > Check your event viewer, there may be some information there by ltid.

    Also
    > you may want to set ltid to verbose mode from your interface and begin

    this
    > testing again. Is this only when you do a manual backup or both manual

    and
    > scheduled?
    >
    > -David Chapa
    > "Jason Harrell" wrote:
    > >
    > >I have a very serious issue here. Here's my setup:
    > >
    > >NetBackup v3.2 on Windows NT 4.0 (server) w/SP 5
    > > - 1 GB RAM
    > > - Dual Processors
    > > - 2 Adaptec 2944UW SCSI adapters
    > >
    > >StorageTek 9714
    > > - 3 DLT 7000 drives
    > > - 2 drives share one bus
    > > - 1 drive and robot on one bus
    > >
    > >Problem:
    > >
    > >When kicking off a manual backup, NetBackup loads the appropriate volume
    > >in the tape drive but just hangs afterwards for about 6min. The error

    message
    > >I recieve is error requesting media (tpreq). I did a manual mount or

    'tpreq'
    > >from the command line and yes I was able to mount a tape into one of the
    > >drives. However, it appears as though something is timing out or not

    communicating
    > >properly.
    > >
    > >As I said before, NetBackup will physically mount the dlt into the drive
    > >but "logically" NetBackup fails to mount the media. I've tried nearly

    everything
    > >within reason and have not been remotely successful. I even tried a

    backup
    > >using NT Backup and guess what? That worked!
    > >
    > >I'm getting pretty desparate here...help.
    > >
    > >-jlh

+ Reply to Thread