Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed) - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed) - Veritas Net Backup ; A question for an expert. 1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX??? For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with Windows NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect ...

  1. Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed)

    A question for an expert.

    1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX???

    For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with Windows
    NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect it to an Exabyte X80 lybrary
    with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr capacity. we have 25 NT servers and 4
    small unix box.

    Some tells me to choose Unix as a master, do you have any solid reason. Becose
    i had to justify the 10K$ hier price for the unix version!

    Any problems with Netbackup version for NT master backup server and backuping
    Unix(restoring from scratch)?

    2- All the server are connect to 100mb ethenet switch. My second question
    is : I think the bottle neck gone be the network, should i install a second
    100mb ethernet card for dual homing or install one gigabyte card in my backup
    server connect directly with my other server switch.

    3- The PCI bus on my Sun ultra10(sparc cpu at 440mhz) server is only at 33mhz,
    but if ear that sun make something to boost the bus performance, do your
    unix guy know what they did? is this a bad idee to put my master backup and
    media server on it.

    Some one tell me that unix is betther and faster on I/O. do you think it
    is true and a good reason enought to put my master backup server on My Sun
    ultra10 server (running solaris 2.7)

    ANYone have a comment???

  2. Y Netbackup on UNIX or NT

    Do any one have a comment, on using Netbakup for NT? Some problems? Have you
    change for or from Unix.

    Please I need some input!!!

    "Alain richard" wrote:

    >A question for an expert.
    >
    >1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX???
    >
    >For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with

    Windows
    >NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect it to an Exabyte X80 lybrary
    >with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr capacity. we have 25 NT servers and

    4
    >small unix box.
    >
    >Some tells me to choose Unix as a master, do you have any solid reason.

    Becose
    >i had to justify the 10K$ hier price for the unix version!
    >
    >Any problems with Netbackup version for NT master backup server and backuping
    >Unix(restoring from scratch)?
    >

    >2- All the server are connect to 100mb ethenet switch. My second question
    >is : I think the bottle neck gone be the network, should i install a second
    >100mb ethernet card for dual homing or install one gigabyte card in my backup
    >server connect directly with my other server switch.
    >

    >3- The PCI bus on my Sun ultra10(sparc cpu at 440mhz) server is only at

    33mhz,
    >but if ear that sun make something to boost the bus performance, do your
    >unix guy know what they did? is this a bad idee to put my master backup

    and
    >media server on it.
    >
    >Some one tell me that unix is betther and faster on I/O. do you think it
    >is true and a good reason enought to put my master backup server on My Sun
    >ultra10 server (running solaris 2.7)
    >
    >ANYone have a comment???

  3. Re: Y Netbackup on UNIX or NT

    Alian,

    We have been using NetBackup 3.2 on NT for the last year. Like any system
    we have encountered some problems but overall, it has been a stable and
    dependable system.

    about 90% of the servers supported are NT and the remainder are UNIX. In
    the near future we will be using 3 master server with STK9710 robotic
    libraries (2 NT and one Unix) along with 5 media servers (also in NT and
    UNIX) supporting nearly 200 servers.

    Unix in general can drive a network better than NT, but the cost may not
    justify the need to have better network traffic/throughput.

    Just a few thoughts. If you like to talk more on the subject, you may
    contact me at luis,baez@cinergy.com

    --
    Luis Baez
    Cinergy, Server Technology Group

    Alain richard wrote in message

    > Do any one have a comment, on using Netbakup for NT? Some problems? Have

    you
    > change for or from Unix.
    >
    > Please I need some input!!!
    >

    > "Alain richard" wrote:
    > >
    > >A question for an expert.
    > >
    > >1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX???
    > >
    > >For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with

    > Windows
    > >NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect it to an Exabyte X80

    lybrary
    > >with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr capacity. we have 25 NT servers and

    > 4
    > >small unix box.
    > >
    > >Some tells me to choose Unix as a master, do you have any solid reason.

    > Becose
    > >i had to justify the 10K$ hier price for the unix version!
    > >
    > >Any problems with Netbackup version for NT master backup server and

    backuping
    > >Unix(restoring from scratch)?
    > >

    > >2- All the server are connect to 100mb ethenet switch. My second question
    > >is : I think the bottle neck gone be the network, should i install a

    second
    > >100mb ethernet card for dual homing or install one gigabyte card in my

    backup
    > >server connect directly with my other server switch.
    > >

    > >3- The PCI bus on my Sun ultra10(sparc cpu at 440mhz) server is only at

    > 33mhz,
    > >but if ear that sun make something to boost the bus performance, do your
    > >unix guy know what they did? is this a bad idee to put my master backup

    > and
    > >media server on it.
    > >
    > >Some one tell me that unix is betther and faster on I/O. do you think it
    > >is true and a good reason enought to put my master backup server on My

    Sun
    > >ultra10 server (running solaris 2.7)
    > >
    > >ANYone have a comment???

+ Reply to Thread