using full capacity of tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on using full capacity of tape - Veritas Net Backup ; I am using a DDS4 tape with 20GB (uncompressed) / 40GB (compressed) capacity. I have only backed up 550MB worth of data, but if I try to back-up even 1 more file in a new backup job I get a ...

  1. using full capacity of tape

    I am using a DDS4 tape with 20GB (uncompressed) / 40GB (compressed) capacity.
    I have only backed up 550MB worth of data, but if I try to back-up even
    1 more file in a new backup job I get a 'Media is allocated and non-overwritable'
    error and the tape ejects. Why is it trying to overwrite data if I am not
    even close to filling the tape?? I have tried the Quick Erase of the tape
    which allows me to make a few more backups but then I get the error again.
    Any help??

  2. Re: using full capacity of tape

    Check the staus of media server properties and check that multiple retentions
    per media is checked, otherwise if you perform a FULL backup the tape is
    flagged as full and is unusable until the retention date is reached.

    You can check the status of the tape by running the bpmedialist command from
    the command prompt. C:\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd>bpmedialist

    Chuck

    "eric" wrote:

    >I am using a DDS4 tape with 20GB (uncompressed) / 40GB (compressed) capacity.
    > I have only backed up 550MB worth of data, but if I try to back-up even
    >1 more file in a new backup job I get a 'Media is allocated and non-overwritable'
    >error and the tape ejects. Why is it trying to overwrite data if I am not
    >even close to filling the tape?? I have tried the Quick Erase of the tape
    >which allows me to make a few more backups but then I get the error again.
    > Any help??

+ Reply to Thread