Backing up a Primary Domain Controller - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backing up a Primary Domain Controller - Veritas Net Backup ; Anyone have any luck with backing up a PDC? I get about halfway through it and get a code 11. I increased the cache file and got further.. but it still won't complete. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thx- ...

  1. Backing up a Primary Domain Controller

    Anyone have any luck with backing up a PDC? I get about halfway
    through it and get a code 11. I increased the cache file and
    got further.. but it still won't complete. Any suggestions would
    be much appreciated!

    Thx-

    Chris

  2. Re: Backing up a Primary Domain Controller

    "Chris" wrote:

    >Anyone have any luck with backing up a PDC? I get about halfway
    >through it and get a code 11. I increased the cache file and
    >got further.. but it still won't complete. Any suggestions would
    >be much appreciated!
    >
    >Thx-
    >
    >Chris

    Chris: check you initial cache size setting as well as the maximum cache
    size setting. Double them if you have the space on that partition or move
    the cache file to another partition. I have accomplished great success with
    our NT servers by following this practice. Also, make sure you have enough
    free space on the partition you are trying to back up. If not attempt to
    free up some space, check to see if you can exclude certain directories that
    you do not need (aka, critical files); I do not backup any of the temp directories
    on any of our servers, I also exclude Temp Internet files, cookies, history,
    etc. Also, make sure that you sufficient rights on the target server for
    the NetBackup Client Service. You can turn on the bpbkar logs on the client
    to track the activity to further assist you with this issue. Hope this helps...:-)
    Monte Kasper

  3. Re: Backing up a Primary Domain Controller

    "Monte Kasper" wrote:

    >"Chris" wrote:
    >>
    >>Anyone have any luck with backing up a PDC? I get about halfway
    >>through it and get a code 11. I increased the cache file and
    >>got further.. but it still won't complete. Any suggestions would
    >>be much appreciated!
    >>
    >>Thx-
    >>
    >>Chris

    >Chris: check you initial cache size setting as well as the maximum cache
    >size setting. Double them if you have the space on that partition or move
    >the cache file to another partition. I have accomplished great success with
    >our NT servers by following this practice. Also, make sure you have enough
    >free space on the partition you are trying to back up. If not attempt to
    >free up some space, check to see if you can exclude certain directories

    that
    >you do not need (aka, critical files); I do not backup any of the temp directories
    >on any of our servers, I also exclude Temp Internet files, cookies, history,
    >etc. Also, make sure that you sufficient rights on the target server for
    >the NetBackup Client Service. You can turn on the bpbkar logs on the client
    >to track the activity to further assist you with this issue. Hope this helps...:-)
    >Monte Kasper

    I'm assuming v3.2 and OTM is enabled? If so, try setting the "Maximum cache"
    to 0 (zero) - that will force it to use whatever is available. As Monte
    mentioned - turn on bpbkar logging to monitor ... There's a FAQ on status
    11's also - but I don't recall the number (sorry).

    Sue

+ Reply to Thread