Performance problems with standard NT client - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Performance problems with standard NT client - Veritas Net Backup ; System setup. NT 4 sp3 & 4 (mainly 4) clients runing netbackup 3.2 nt client. Sun enterprise servers with Solaris 2.6 and netbackup 3.2 and an Sun L11000 library. Problem - we are seeing very poor performance when backing up ...

  1. Performance problems with standard NT client

    System setup.

    NT 4 sp3 & 4 (mainly 4) clients runing netbackup 3.2 nt client. Sun
    enterprise servers with Solaris 2.6 and netbackup 3.2 and an Sun
    L11000 library.

    Problem - we are seeing very poor performance when backing up some of
    our nt file servers. These servers have between 500 & 750 thousand
    files occupying 80-100Gb (which in most cases is over 90% of the
    available diskspace) , so lots of small files. Under arcserve 6.5
    (using the arcserve agent across the same network) we were getting
    over 3Mb/sec when backing up these servers, yet we barely manage
    1.7Mb/sec using netbackup. Yet with other nt boxes we have seen over
    7mb/s so I know the backed is capable of good performance.

    Has anyone else had any problems like these - are there are any
    parameters on the client that can be tuned to improve performance or
    any other suggestions?

    thanks

    Mike Weavind
    mike@taynuilt.demon.co.uk

  2. Re: Performance problems with standard NT client

    Mike,

    We have a very similar environment to you and similar performance problems.
    We can achieve 5.5Mb/s backing up our Exchange server but only manage 2.5Mb/s
    on the file servers. I suspect this is due to OTM running on the file servers
    and the number of small files being backed up.

    One thing we have adjusted is the comms. buffer size which does seem to make
    some difference. We currently use a value of 256Kb but I may try increasing
    this. The parameter can be found in the Registry under the VERITAS key.

    Dave.

  3. Re: Performance problems with standard NT client

    If you are using the OTM try changing the 'OTM_max_cachsize' (in registry
    under software/veritas/nbu/cv/config/) to '0' this will allow dynamic cache
    sizing. You probably also have a fragmentation problem if the drive(s) is
    90% full.

    Another approach to speeding up server performance in general is to balance
    I/O. I use Compaq's and these have dual-PCI buses. Balancing NIC/RAID card
    placement across both buses will help utilize all of the pc's power (clients
    and servers).

    (also make sure you are patching you NBU servers and(!) clients with the
    latest and greatest patches from veritas.)

    -Jon

    Michael Weavind wrote:
    >System setup.
    >
    >NT 4 sp3 & 4 (mainly 4) clients runing netbackup 3.2 nt client. Sun
    >enterprise servers with Solaris 2.6 and netbackup 3.2 and an Sun
    >L11000 library.
    >
    >Problem - we are seeing very poor performance when backing up some of
    >our nt file servers. These servers have between 500 & 750 thousand
    >files occupying 80-100Gb (which in most cases is over 90% of the
    >available diskspace) , so lots of small files. Under arcserve 6.5
    >(using the arcserve agent across the same network) we were getting
    >over 3Mb/sec when backing up these servers, yet we barely manage
    >1.7Mb/sec using netbackup. Yet with other nt boxes we have seen over
    >7mb/s so I know the backed is capable of good performance.
    >
    >Has anyone else had any problems like these - are there are any
    >parameters on the client that can be tuned to improve performance or
    >any other suggestions?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >Mike Weavind
    >mike@taynuilt.demon.co.uk