Backup servers via Firewall - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backup servers via Firewall - Veritas Net Backup ; Does anyone have experience of backing NT servers beyond an NT Server running Firewall 1? Whenever we attempt a backup we get status code 54 (client time out). Our network people have monitored and have stated that the client server ...

  1. Backup servers via Firewall

    Does anyone have experience of backing NT servers beyond an
    NT Server running Firewall 1?

    Whenever we attempt a backup we get status code 54 (client time
    out).

    Our network people have monitored and have stated that the client
    server is dropping the connection.

    All other NBU configuration has been carried (Non-Reserved Ports,etc)

    Thanks, Andy Skates

  2. Re: Backup servers via Firewall

    Yeah, I do.

    You'll need to open up port 13782 inbound to the client from all your backup
    servers. Also, the strange part, you need to allow any-any from the client
    to the backup server (this might not be needed if you have a stateful packet
    inspection firewall, which should allow the return connection based on the
    previous connection on port 13782 by the backup server, not sure though,
    I am an NT guy, not a firewall guy).

    (if the client and server can ping each other (assuming the firewall allows
    ICMP), then it is the firewall causing your problem.)

    -Jon

    "Andy Skates" wrote:

    >Does anyone have experience of backing NT servers beyond an
    >NT Server running Firewall 1?
    >
    >Whenever we attempt a backup we get status code 54 (client time
    >out).
    >
    >Our network people have monitored and have stated that the client
    >server is dropping the connection.
    >
    >All other NBU configuration has been carried (Non-Reserved Ports,etc)
    >
    >Thanks, Andy Skates

+ Reply to Thread