Trouble restoring files. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Trouble restoring files. - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, recently I have changed the retention period on my backup policies to inifinity for the monthly backup. After the monthly backup is complete these tapes are removed from the tape library and stored. Recently I had to retrieve a ...

  1. Trouble restoring files.

    Hi,

    recently I have changed the retention period on my backup policies to
    inifinity for the monthly backup. After the monthly backup is complete these
    tapes are removed from the tape library and stored. Recently I had to retrieve
    a file from one of these tapes but it gave me the following errorwhen trying
    to restore: "Restore must be resumed prior to first image expiration on INFINITY".
    Not sure what this means but it didn't restore the file I need. Any ideas.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Trouble restoring files.

    Gerard Whelan wrote, in part, on 4/25/2006 8:26 AM:
    > recently I have changed the retention period on my backup policies to
    > inifinity for the monthly backup. After the monthly backup is complete these
    > tapes are removed from the tape library and stored. Recently I had to retrieve
    > a file from one of these tapes but it gave me the following errorwhen trying
    > to restore: "Restore must be resumed prior to first image expiration on INFINITY".
    > Not sure what this means but it didn't restore the file I need. Any ideas.

    That's not an error message, but an informational message .. a "dumb"
    message, granted.

    For whatever reason, the restore was not able to complete and the job
    was placed in "Incomplete" status. That message simply means that after
    the image to be restored expires, the restore will not work. I call it
    a "dumb" message because expiration of an INFINITY image is not a
    problem: it never expires.

    Until last week, I thought this was a pretty useless message. One of my
    clients has a machine that has been down with hardware issues for some
    time, and the latest "good" full backup was some time before that. The
    client had a restore go to Incomplete status, with your message. The
    difference was that it said the job had to be resumed before the NEXT
    DAY. Their important, best backup was about to expire and they didn't
    realize it. Luckily they noticed, asked me about it, and I quickly
    extended the expiration on their important images.

    But none of this really answers your question. You must look at the
    restore job and possibly logs to find the error that caused the restore
    to not complete.

    If you're feeling lucky, you might simply "resume" the job and see if it
    finishes successfully. Maybe it will ;-)

    cheers, wayne

  3. Re: Trouble restoring files.

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Wayne T Smith wrote:

    > Gerard Whelan wrote, in part, on 4/25/2006 8:26 AM:
    >> recently I have changed the retention period on my backup policies to
    >> inifinity for the monthly backup. After the monthly backup is complete
    >> these
    >> tapes are removed from the tape library and stored. Recently I had to
    >> retrieve
    >> a file from one of these tapes but it gave me the following errorwhen
    >> trying
    >> to restore: "Restore must be resumed prior to first image expiration on
    >> INFINITY".
    >> Not sure what this means but it didn't restore the file I need. Any
    >> ideas.

    > That's not an error message, but an informational message .. a "dumb"
    > message, granted.
    >
    > For whatever reason, the restore was not able to complete and the job was
    > placed in "Incomplete" status. That message simply means that after the
    > image to be restored expires, the restore will not work. I call it a "dumb"
    > message because expiration of an INFINITY image is not a problem: it never
    > expires.
    >
    > Until last week, I thought this was a pretty useless message. One of my
    > clients has a machine that has been down with hardware issues for some time,
    > and the latest "good" full backup was some time before that. The client had
    > a restore go to Incomplete status, with your message. The difference was
    > that it said the job had to be resumed before the NEXT DAY. Their important,
    > best backup was about to expire and they didn't realize it. Luckily they
    > noticed, asked me about it, and I quickly extended the expiration on their
    > important images.
    >
    > But none of this really answers your question. You must look at the restore
    > job and possibly logs to find the error that caused the restore to not
    > complete.
    >
    > If you're feeling lucky, you might simply "resume" the job and see if it
    > finishes successfully. Maybe it will ;-)
    >
    > cheers, wayne

    Another option to reduce such issues is when restoring, restore by the
    image type and not by date, this also helps reduce the occurrence of this
    problem.

+ Reply to Thread