Tape Drive status from OS - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Tape Drive status from OS - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi all, I am using the HPUX 11iv1, Netbackup Enterprise 4.5 and StorageTek L700. My question: is it possible to know when the tape drive has problem or the tape stuck inside tape drive using (HP) UNIX command? Without using ...

  1. Tape Drive status from OS

    Hi all,

    I am using the HPUX 11iv1, Netbackup Enterprise 4.5 and StorageTek L700. My
    question: is it possible to know when the tape drive has problem or the tape
    stuck inside tape drive using (HP) UNIX command? Without using any Netbackup
    command?

    Regards,

    Iwan

  2. Re: Tape Drive status from OS

    Iwan T wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am using the HPUX 11iv1, Netbackup Enterprise 4.5 and StorageTek L700. My
    > question: is it possible to know when the tape drive has problem or the tape
    > stuck inside tape drive using (HP) UNIX command? Without using any Netbackup
    > command?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Iwan

    You can use robtest to see what is in the library and then mt -f
    /dev/rmt/0cbn status (or whatever your cbn device file is)

    if robtest shows a tape in the relevant drive but mt reports "no tape
    loaded or drive offline" then time to call storagetek ahem... Sun!

    ioscan -fnC tape can be useful as sometimes it will show NO_HW if your
    tape drive is particularly unhappy.

    If you're not sure what the relevant device file is you can reconcile
    the drive number in robtest with the "robot drive number " in tpconfig
    -d to get the device file :-)

    HTH

    Sean

  3. Re: Tape Drive status from OS

    Also, don't know the relevant location in HP/UX but you can check the
    /etc/messages file in Solaris for scsi errors that may be reported. I
    assume HP/UX has something similar.

    On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:55:35 +0800, "Iwan T" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am using the HPUX 11iv1, Netbackup Enterprise 4.5 and StorageTek L700. My
    >question: is it possible to know when the tape drive has problem or the tape
    >stuck inside tape drive using (HP) UNIX command? Without using any Netbackup
    >command?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Iwan

  4. Re: Tape Drive status from OS

    Jeff Redington wrote:
    > Also, don't know the relevant location in HP/UX but you can check the
    > /etc/messages file in Solaris for scsi errors that may be reported. I
    > assume HP/UX has something similar.
    >
    > On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:55:35 +0800, "Iwan T" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I am using the HPUX 11iv1, Netbackup Enterprise 4.5 and StorageTek L700. My
    >>question: is it possible to know when the tape drive has problem or the tape
    >>stuck inside tape drive using (HP) UNIX command? Without using any Netbackup
    >>command?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Iwan

    I have a script available for monitoring all media server's drives along
    with a message being sent to anyone who cares about drive failures. I
    usually start the command at bootup but you could also issue a nohup
    (means knowing system has rebooted and command is no longer running.

    Go to my site at http://www.gurski.com/Netbackup (indirect way) or
    directly at http://www.gurski.com/netbackup.php

    Select the Unix scripts option on the left-hand side of th page and then
    look for ebs_drive

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread