TLD (0): Library communications established, but no drives in library - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on TLD (0): Library communications established, but no drives in library - Veritas Net Backup ; We have been running Netbackup 3.2 for 5 years now using StorageTek 9714 library unit (on Solaris sparc 2.7 ). Then library unit stopped working so we purchased refurbished 9714 unit with same number of drives and configuration. We then ...

  1. TLD (0): Library communications established, but no drives in library

    We have been running Netbackup 3.2 for 5 years now using StorageTek 9714 library
    unit (on Solaris sparc 2.7 ). Then library unit stopped working so we purchased
    refurbished 9714 unit with same number of drives and configuration.

    We then deleted all files under /dev/ and /devices (for tapes only) and rebooted
    the machine with "-r" option. I also deleted robot and all four drives
    from Netbackup gui and also removed storage unit associated with this library.

    Even after all of above, we see this messages repeated in /var/adm/messages
    file.

    May 23 21:14:25 alpha tldcd[611]: TLD(0) Library communications established,
    but no drives in library
    May 23 21:14:25 alpha tldd[6574]: TLD(0) unavailable: initialization failed:
    Unable to initialize robot

    We see all drives when I run probe-scsi-all ...
    sgscan tape and sgscan changer shows drives and library unit.

    Only thing I can think of is to reinstall sg drivers by running sg.install
    and sg.build scripts . I do not see why that would help as "sgscan" is working
    fine..

    Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for
    your time.

  2. Re: TLD (0): Library communications established, but no drives in library

    I forgot to mention that we readded library unit, all four drives and storage
    unit as well.
    Now trying to figure out why I am still getting this error.
    Another thing I notice is "robtest" is not working either as when I issue
    "inquiry" command, it returns nothing.

    "SunSystem8" wrote:

    >We have been running Netbackup 3.2 for 5 years now using StorageTek 9714

    library
    >unit (on Solaris sparc 2.7 ). Then library unit stopped working so we purchased
    >refurbished 9714 unit with same number of drives and configuration.
    >
    >We then deleted all files under /dev/ and /devices (for tapes only) and

    rebooted
    >the machine with "-r" option. I also deleted robot and all four drives
    >from Netbackup gui and also removed storage unit associated with this library.
    >

    >Even after all of above, we see this messages repeated in /var/adm/messages
    >file.
    >
    >May 23 21:14:25 alpha tldcd[611]: TLD(0) Library communications established,
    > but no drives in library
    >May 23 21:14:25 alpha tldd[6574]: TLD(0) unavailable: initialization failed:
    > Unable to initialize robot
    >
    >We see all drives when I run probe-scsi-all ...
    >sgscan tape and sgscan changer shows drives and library unit.
    >
    >Only thing I can think of is to reinstall sg drivers by running sg.install
    >and sg.build scripts . I do not see why that would help as "sgscan" is

    working
    >fine..
    >
    >Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for
    >your time.

  3. Re: TLD (0): Library communications established, but no drives in library

    If robtest is not working either, than NetBackup has no communications
    to the robot even at a basic scsi level. I would rebuild the sg
    drivers and see if that resolves it. If not, contact the hardware
    vendor.

    Jeff

    On 23 May 2005 22:56:19 -0500, "SunSystem8"
    wrote:

    >I forgot to mention that we readded library unit, all four drives and storage
    >unit as well.
    >Now trying to figure out why I am still getting this error.
    >Another thing I notice is "robtest" is not working either as when I issue
    >"inquiry" command, it returns nothing.
    >
    >"SunSystem8" wrote:
    >>
    >>We have been running Netbackup 3.2 for 5 years now using StorageTek 9714

    >library
    >>unit (on Solaris sparc 2.7 ). Then library unit stopped working so we purchased
    >>refurbished 9714 unit with same number of drives and configuration.
    >>
    >>We then deleted all files under /dev/ and /devices (for tapes only) and

    >rebooted
    >>the machine with "-r" option. I also deleted robot and all four drives
    >>from Netbackup gui and also removed storage unit associated with this library.
    >>

    >>Even after all of above, we see this messages repeated in /var/adm/messages
    >>file.
    >>
    >>May 23 21:14:25 alpha tldcd[611]: TLD(0) Library communications established,
    >> but no drives in library
    >>May 23 21:14:25 alpha tldd[6574]: TLD(0) unavailable: initialization failed:
    >> Unable to initialize robot
    >>
    >>We see all drives when I run probe-scsi-all ...
    >>sgscan tape and sgscan changer shows drives and library unit.
    >>
    >>Only thing I can think of is to reinstall sg drivers by running sg.install
    >>and sg.build scripts . I do not see why that would help as "sgscan" is

    >working
    >>fine..
    >>
    >>Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for
    >>your time.

+ Reply to Thread