Media ID - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Media ID - Veritas Net Backup ; Running NetBackup 5.1 on RH AS3 Another novice question. I am trying to change the media ID's on my backup tapes. There is no barcode reader which seems to be a bit of a problem as well. The tapes in ...

  1. Media ID

    Running NetBackup 5.1 on RH AS3

    Another novice question. I am trying to change the media ID's on my backup tapes. There is no barcode reader which seems to be a bit of a problem as well. The tapes in the autoloader are labeled A00000 - A00007. From what I can see, when I replace the tapes they assume the same label. I'd like to be able to label the tapes something like "May_1_15" to represent the first 2 weeks of May (since we're getting about 2 weeks on a tape) This way I could more easily label and locate the tapes if a backup is necessary.

    If I right click on a tape in the netbackup console, choose label, it states "this operation is not supported when assignemd media are selected".

    Thanks,

    Elrey

  2. Re: Media ID

    That is correct. When you put new media in the library you need to
    highlight all the tapes that were there before and move them to
    standalone volume group. Then you can create new volumes with the
    names you want and NetBackup will create those labels on the tapes
    when it writes to them (assuming they are blank). Otherwise create the
    volumes with the name you want and then use the bplabel command to
    write that physical label to the tape effectively erasing it (assuming
    you no longer want the contents of that tape or it is an old Backup
    Exec tape that you are reusing, etc.).

    Jeff

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:20:10 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:

    >Running NetBackup 5.1 on RH AS3
    >
    >Another novice question. I am trying to change the media ID's on my backup tapes. There is no barcode reader which seems to be a bit of a problem as well. The tapes in the autoloader are labeled A00000 - A00007. From what I can see, when I replace the tapes they assume the same label. I'd like to be able to label the tapes something like "May_1_15" to represent the first 2 weeks of May (since we're getting about 2 weeks on a tape) This way I could more easily label and locate the tapes if a backup is necessary.
    >
    >If I right click on a tape in the netbackup console, choose label, it states "this operation is not supported when assignemd media are selected".
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Elrey

  3. Re: Media ID

    I'm not quite following, sorry. After I eject all 7 tapes do I create a new
    volume pool or a new volume group? In my mind they're both the same thing.
    In the Admin Console both the volume pool and group have tapes A00000-A00006
    listed under them. Argh. If I insert new tapes, I'm assuming I have to
    create a new pool or group or something in order to rename these tapes.

    Thanks....

    "Jeff Redington" wrote in message
    > That is correct. When you put new media in the library you need to
    > highlight all the tapes that were there before and move them to
    > standalone volume group. Then you can create new volumes with the
    > names you want and NetBackup will create those labels on the tapes
    > when it writes to them (assuming they are blank). Otherwise create the
    > volumes with the name you want and then use the bplabel command to
    > write that physical label to the tape effectively erasing it (assuming
    > you no longer want the contents of that tape or it is an old Backup
    > Exec tape that you are reusing, etc.).
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:20:10 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:
    >
    >>Running NetBackup 5.1 on RH AS3
    >>
    >>Another novice question. I am trying to change the media ID's on my
    >>backup tapes. There is no barcode reader which seems to be a bit of a
    >>problem as well. The tapes in the autoloader are labeled A00000 - A00007.
    >>From what I can see, when I replace the tapes they assume the same label.
    >>I'd like to be able to label the tapes something like "May_1_15" to
    >>represent the first 2 weeks of May (since we're getting about 2 weeks on a
    >>tape) This way I could more easily label and locate the tapes if a backup
    >>is necessary.
    >>
    >>If I right click on a tape in the netbackup console, choose label, it
    >>states "this operation is not supported when assignemd media are
    >>selected".
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Elrey

  4. Re: Media ID

    You don't create a new pool or a new group. You have to create 7 new
    volumes (tapes). A00000 is the name of a volume (tape). So when you
    replace the tapes with new ones you create 7 new volumes starting with
    A00007-A00013. You don't rename the old tapes. You right click on the
    old tapes and choose move and then standalone to move them logically
    out of the robot so NetBackup knows they have been removed. Then when
    you create the new volumes A00007-13 you give them a starting slot
    number and an ending slot number and NetBackup creates the volumes and
    logically assigns them to the slots. NetBackup is very difficult to
    use without a bar code reader because of this process. You can read
    more about using NetBackup without a bar code reader in the Media
    Manager System Admin Guide.

    Jeff

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:53:33 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:

    >I'm not quite following, sorry. After I eject all 7 tapes do I create a new
    >volume pool or a new volume group? In my mind they're both the same thing.
    >In the Admin Console both the volume pool and group have tapes A00000-A00006
    >listed under them. Argh. If I insert new tapes, I'm assuming I have to
    >create a new pool or group or something in order to rename these tapes.
    >
    >Thanks....
    >

    >"Jeff Redington" wrote in message
    >> That is correct. When you put new media in the library you need to
    >> highlight all the tapes that were there before and move them to
    >> standalone volume group. Then you can create new volumes with the
    >> names you want and NetBackup will create those labels on the tapes
    >> when it writes to them (assuming they are blank). Otherwise create the
    >> volumes with the name you want and then use the bplabel command to
    >> write that physical label to the tape effectively erasing it (assuming
    >> you no longer want the contents of that tape or it is an old Backup
    >> Exec tape that you are reusing, etc.).
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:20:10 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Running NetBackup 5.1 on RH AS3
    >>>
    >>>Another novice question. I am trying to change the media ID's on my
    >>>backup tapes. There is no barcode reader which seems to be a bit of a
    >>>problem as well. The tapes in the autoloader are labeled A00000 - A00007.
    >>>From what I can see, when I replace the tapes they assume the same label.
    >>>I'd like to be able to label the tapes something like "May_1_15" to
    >>>represent the first 2 weeks of May (since we're getting about 2 weeks on a
    >>>tape) This way I could more easily label and locate the tapes if a backup
    >>>is necessary.
    >>>
    >>>If I right click on a tape in the netbackup console, choose label, it
    >>>states "this operation is not supported when assignemd media are
    >>>selected".
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Elrey

  5. Re: Media ID

    Thanks Jeff. I think I got it. Using the GUI I removed the volumes/tapes
    from the pool. I then ran the line command "vmupdate" with the -use_seed
    switch to generate new media ID's. Total pain, I wish they would have made
    a friendlier interface. Maybe part of it is just my lack of experience, but
    you'd think Veritas would tailor this along the lines of BE for Windows.

    > You don't create a new pool or a new group. You have to create 7 new
    > volumes (tapes). A00000 is the name of a volume (tape). So when you
    > replace the tapes with new ones you create 7 new volumes starting with
    > A00007-A00013. You don't rename the old tapes. You right click on the
    > old tapes and choose move and then standalone to move them logically
    > out of the robot so NetBackup knows they have been removed. Then when
    > you create the new volumes A00007-13 you give them a starting slot
    > number and an ending slot number and NetBackup creates the volumes and
    > logically assigns them to the slots. NetBackup is very difficult to
    > use without a bar code reader because of this process. You can read
    > more about using NetBackup without a bar code reader in the Media
    > Manager System Admin Guide.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:53:33 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:
    >
    >>I'm not quite following, sorry. After I eject all 7 tapes do I create a
    >>new
    >>volume pool or a new volume group? In my mind they're both the same
    >>thing.
    >>In the Admin Console both the volume pool and group have tapes
    >>A00000-A00006
    >>listed under them. Argh. If I insert new tapes, I'm assuming I have to
    >>create a new pool or group or something in order to rename these tapes.
    >>
    >>Thanks....
    >>

    >>"Jeff Redington" wrote in message
    >>> That is correct. When you put new media in the library you need to
    >>> highlight all the tapes that were there before and move them to
    >>> standalone volume group. Then you can create new volumes with the
    >>> names you want and NetBackup will create those labels on the tapes
    >>> when it writes to them (assuming they are blank). Otherwise create the
    >>> volumes with the name you want and then use the bplabel command to
    >>> write that physical label to the tape effectively erasing it (assuming
    >>> you no longer want the contents of that tape or it is an old Backup
    >>> Exec tape that you are reusing, etc.).
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

  6. Re: Media ID

    I agree that it would be easier, but to be fair, NetBackup was crafted
    as an Enterprise level solution and the designers never really (in my
    opinion) anticipated any one using a stand alone tape drive or a
    robotic library without barcode readers. If you have a bar code
    capable robot then management with NetBackup becomes much, much
    simpler.

    Jeff

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:42:24 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:

    >Thanks Jeff. I think I got it. Using the GUI I removed the volumes/tapes
    >from the pool. I then ran the line command "vmupdate" with the -use_seed
    >switch to generate new media ID's. Total pain, I wish they would have made
    >a friendlier interface. Maybe part of it is just my lack of experience, but
    >you'd think Veritas would tailor this along the lines of BE for Windows.
    >

    >"Jeff Redington" wrote in message
    >> You don't create a new pool or a new group. You have to create 7 new
    >> volumes (tapes). A00000 is the name of a volume (tape). So when you
    >> replace the tapes with new ones you create 7 new volumes starting with
    >> A00007-A00013. You don't rename the old tapes. You right click on the
    >> old tapes and choose move and then standalone to move them logically
    >> out of the robot so NetBackup knows they have been removed. Then when
    >> you create the new volumes A00007-13 you give them a starting slot
    >> number and an ending slot number and NetBackup creates the volumes and
    >> logically assigns them to the slots. NetBackup is very difficult to
    >> use without a bar code reader because of this process. You can read
    >> more about using NetBackup without a bar code reader in the Media
    >> Manager System Admin Guide.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    >> On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:53:33 -0600, "Elrey" wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm not quite following, sorry. After I eject all 7 tapes do I create a
    >>>new
    >>>volume pool or a new volume group? In my mind they're both the same
    >>>thing.
    >>>In the Admin Console both the volume pool and group have tapes
    >>>A00000-A00006
    >>>listed under them. Argh. If I insert new tapes, I'm assuming I have to
    >>>create a new pool or group or something in order to rename these tapes.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks....
    >>>

    >>>"Jeff Redington" wrote in message

  7. Change Media ID on Tape auto loader

    I can not change Media ID on Tape autoloader.

  8. Re: Media ID

    I have a bar reader in my Overland libarary but for some reason it wont change
    the media ID... Should i try this command line fix to correct this error
    . the problem i am having is that the media id and the bar code dont match.
    I tried the gui interface rule but it doesnt switch them.

+ Reply to Thread