Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups - Veritas Net Backup ; NB 3.2GA / Solaris 7 Friday's Full backup failes with status 196 (run out of tapes Mon-Thur Incremental's are OK. Problem is that none of the Full backup's show up in browse->backups. Must they be 100% complete to show up ...

  1. Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups

    NB 3.2GA / Solaris 7
    Friday's Full backup failes with status 196 (run out of tapes < 200gb)
    Mon-Thur Incremental's are OK.
    Problem is that none of the Full backup's show up in browse->backups.
    Must they be 100% complete to show up in restore?
    Catalogs are stores on the tape and to disk.

  2. Re: Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups

    "ET" wrote:

    >NB 3.2GA / Solaris 7
    >Friday's Full backup failes with status 196 (run out of tapes < 200gb)
    >Mon-Thur Incremental's are OK.
    >Problem is that none of the Full backup's show up in browse->backups.
    >Must they be 100% complete to show up in restore?
    >Catalogs are stores on the tape and to disk.

    If the backup fails, then the image is expired and is not available for
    restores. It doesn't matter how many files were successfully backed up before
    the failure. If the overall image fails then the image which includes all
    of those successfully backed up files to the point of failure will be expired.

  3. Re: Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups

    >"ET" wrote:
    >>NB 3.2GA / Solaris 7
    >>Friday's Full backup failes with status 196 (run out of tapes < 200gb)
    >>Mon-Thur Incremental's are OK.
    >>Problem is that none of the Full backup's show up in browse->backups.
    >>Must they be 100% complete to show up in restore?
    >>Catalogs are stored on the tape and to disk.
    >>

    >"Bob Stump" wrote:
    >If the backup fails, then the image is expired and is not available for
    >restores. It doesn't matter how many files were successfully backed up before
    >the failure. If the overall image fails then the image which includes all
    >of those successfully backed up files to the point of failure will be expired.

    No way to unexpire the image file?
    No way to set the backup job for "if" the job failes do not expire the image?
    So, any backup that failes (any failure type) you cannot restore any of
    the data?
    So the mass of files on the tapes (from any failed backup) are useless?

  4. Re: Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups

    Now this is just theory...I haven't tried this so I am not sure what the outcome
    may be.
    but if multiplexing wasn't used then you might try this...

    If the tape is not used by any other backup after the failure.
    and the data is actually still on the tape then you may be able to import
    the tape.
    or
    You also may be able to mount the tape via OS and do a gnu tar restore via
    the OS.

    again this is just theory....

    "ET" wrote:

    >>"ET" wrote:
    >>>NB 3.2GA / Solaris 7
    >>>Friday's Full backup failes with status 196 (run out of tapes < 200gb)
    >>>Mon-Thur Incremental's are OK.
    >>>Problem is that none of the Full backup's show up in browse->backups.
    >>>Must they be 100% complete to show up in restore?
    >>>Catalogs are stored on the tape and to disk.
    >>>

    >>"Bob Stump" wrote:
    >>If the backup fails, then the image is expired and is not available for
    >>restores. It doesn't matter how many files were successfully backed up

    before
    >>the failure. If the overall image fails then the image which includes all
    >>of those successfully backed up files to the point of failure will be expired.
    >>

    >No way to unexpire the image file?
    >No way to set the backup job for "if" the job failes do not expire the image?
    >So, any backup that failes (any failure type) you cannot restore any of
    >the data?
    >So the mass of files on the tapes (from any failed backup) are useless?

  5. Re: Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups

    "Bob Stump" wrote:
    >Now this is just theory...I haven't tried this so I am not sure what the

    outcome
    >may be. but if multiplexing wasn't used then you might try this...
    >If the tape is not used by any other backup after the failure.
    >and the data is actually still on the tape then you may be able to import
    >the tape. or You also may be able to mount the tape via OS and do a gnu

    tar restore
    >via the OS. again this is just theory....

    No - not multiplexing.
    Are you saying to try and re-catalog the tape?
    I'm not sure tar will reconise a Veritas formatted tape media

  6. Re: Incomplete Fulls don't show up in browse backups

    You can use Gnutar on NetBackup media because it is what NetBackup
    uses to write the images to tape in the first place. If you have
    Gnutar it will be able to read the NetBackup images.

    Jeff

    On 2 May 2005 19:22:50 -0500, "ET_SoCal" wrote:

    >"Bob Stump" wrote:
    >>Now this is just theory...I haven't tried this so I am not sure what the

    >outcome
    >>may be. but if multiplexing wasn't used then you might try this...
    >>If the tape is not used by any other backup after the failure.
    >>and the data is actually still on the tape then you may be able to import
    >>the tape. or You also may be able to mount the tape via OS and do a gnu

    >tar restore
    >>via the OS. again this is just theory....

    >No - not multiplexing.
    >Are you saying to try and re-catalog the tape?
    >I'm not sure tar will reconise a Veritas formatted tape media

+ Reply to Thread