Backing up server in two different classes? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backing up server in two different classes? - Veritas Net Backup ; Question: Server has C: D:, and on D: has a directory called \ABC. How can I backup D:\ABC using one class with Full & Diff and then backup the rest of the system (C,D) with D:\ABC being excluded ? Any ...

  1. Backing up server in two different classes?

    Question: Server has C: D:, and on D: has a directory called \ABC. How can
    I backup D:\ABC using one class with Full & Diff and then backup the rest
    of the system (C,D) with D:\ABC being excluded ?

  2. Re: Backing up server in two different classes?

    On 20 Jun 2002 21:45:21 -0400, "CBEE" wrote:

    >Question: Server has C: D:, and on D: has a directory called \ABC. How can
    >I backup D:\ABC using one class with Full & Diff and then backup the rest
    >of the system (C,D) with D:\ABC being excluded ?
    >Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

    Create 2 classes on the backup server. 1 class will backup
    ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. The 2nd class backs up just D:\ABC.
    On the client being backed up, create an exclude list for the first
    class that excludes D:\ABC. All done!

    Andy

  3. Re: Backing up server in two different classes?

    Andrew T wrote:
    >On 20 Jun 2002 21:45:21 -0400, "CBEE" wrote:
    >

    >>Question: Server has C: D:, and on D: has a directory called \ABC. How

    can
    >>I backup D:\ABC using one class with Full & Diff and then backup the rest
    >>of the system (C,D) with D:\ABC being excluded ?
    >>Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

    >Create 2 classes on the backup server. 1 class will backup
    >ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. The 2nd class backs up just D:\ABC.
    >On the client being backed up, create an exclude list for the first
    >class that excludes D:\ABC. All done!
    >
    >Andy

    Thanks,Andy. Appreciated a lot. But have you ever played with Exclude/Include
    list so we don't have to create too many different classes? Example: If you
    have 10 servers and structure the same basically, with one important directory
    that need to be separately backup.Is that means you will have to create 20
    different classes for them? I would think with the new 3.4 version with mupltiple
    exclude/include list we should be able to do something like, Create just
    one class and different schedules to accommodate our environment. But I have
    not really success get it to work since NetBU always read the include last
    and that overwrite the setting of the exclude list.Let me know if you work
    on this and have some lucks with it. Thanks.

  4. Re: Backing up server in two different classes?

    On 23 Jun 2002 00:16:55 -0400, "cbee" wrote:

    >Andrew T wrote:
    >>On 20 Jun 2002 21:45:21 -0400, "CBEE" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Question: Server has C: D:, and on D: has a directory called \ABC. How

    >can
    >>>I backup D:\ABC using one class with Full & Diff and then backup the rest
    >>>of the system (C,D) with D:\ABC being excluded ?
    >>>Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

    >>Create 2 classes on the backup server. 1 class will backup
    >>ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. The 2nd class backs up just D:\ABC.
    >>On the client being backed up, create an exclude list for the first
    >>class that excludes D:\ABC. All done!
    >>
    >>Andy

    >Thanks,Andy. Appreciated a lot. But have you ever played with Exclude/Include
    >list so we don't have to create too many different classes? Example: If you
    >have 10 servers and structure the same basically, with one important directory
    >that need to be separately backup.Is that means you will have to create 20
    >different classes for them? I would think with the new 3.4 version with mupltiple
    >exclude/include list we should be able to do something like, Create just
    >one class and different schedules to accommodate our environment. But I have
    >not really success get it to work since NetBU always read the include last
    >and that overwrite the setting of the exclude list.Let me know if you work
    >on this and have some lucks with it. Thanks.

    I avoid include lists like the plague. Don't use them If you need
    to schedule the servers differently, for example backing up servers
    1-3 at 2am, 4-7 at 4am and 8-10 at 6am, then create 3 separate classes
    for each schedule (it would actually be 6 classes, one each for
    ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and one each for the special directory for each group
    of servers). It's kind of a pain up front to get the classes set up,
    but once they are set, they run on their own.
    Remember, the more stuff you do by manipulating schedules & classes
    and things....the more stuff you have to remember to manage on the
    client end. Rule #1: Keep it simple, stupid

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread