about the client_name - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on about the client_name - Veritas Net Backup ; Someone told me that I'd better add only one client_name in file bp.conf , otherwise I maybe get trouble during my working , does this true? why?? sorry for my poor english Jam Van...

  1. about the client_name

    Someone told me that I'd better add only one client_name in file bp.conf ,
    otherwise I maybe get trouble during my working ,
    does this true? why??

    sorry for my poor english

    Jam Van

  2. Re: about the client_name

    Only one entry please. Or else you WILL have problems.
    client_name = client
    NetBackup works on client names and so this is very important.
    It can only use one name so please only put one name in the file.
    I am not sure which client_name NetBackup would use.
    First or last? Anyway there would be no benefit only headaches.

    What are you trying to accomplish with multiple client_names?

    ,
    >otherwise I maybe get trouble during my working ,
    >does this true? why??
    >

    >sorry for my poor english
    >

    >Jam Van

  3. Re: about the client_name

    if a master server has several client to backup,such as server A ,client 1
    ,client 2,client 3.which client would I add into the bp.conf file on the
    server?
    on each client ,I can only add itself as the client.

    sorry for my poor english again.

    Jam Van

  4. Re: about the client_name

    The client_name in the bp.conf is NOT the clients that the server will back
    up.
    The entry is used by NetBackup to verify which client it is talking to. It
    is an Identification definition.

    So on the master server ONLY place client_name = master
    on serverA only put client_name = serverA in its bp.conf file.
    on client1 only place client_name = client1 in its bp.conf and so on....

    Again client_name is ONLY for identification purposes and that is why there
    should only be one entry and it should be the master, or serverA, or client1
    in its own bp.conf on each machine.

    "Jam Van" wrote:
    >if a master server has several client to backup,such as server A ,client

    1
    >,client 2,client 3.which client would I add into the bp.conf file on the
    >server?
    >on each client ,I can only add itself as the client.
    >
    >sorry for my poor english again.
    >
    >Jam Van

  5. Re: about the client_name

    Thx Bob, now I get it.