Automatic setting retention of tape media for less than 1 week ? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Automatic setting retention of tape media for less than 1 week ? - Veritas Net Backup ; We are running Netbackup Ver 3.2. The tape media options only allow a option of setting a Retention period of not less than 1 week within the Backup class The only way I seem to be able to pre-expire tapes ...

  1. Automatic setting retention of tape media for less than 1 week ?

    We are running Netbackup Ver 3.2. The tape media options only allow a option
    of setting a Retention period of not less than 1 week within the Backup class

    The only way I seem to be able to pre-expire tapes is to use bpexpdate looking
    at a list of media in last mounted order and then manually expire tapes.
    Was thinking of setting some form of cron job that automatically expires
    tapes before the backup begins. Need help in getting ideas on how to generate
    a list of media in last mounted order and then incorporating this into a
    script.

    Am I barking up the wrong tree or is there a simpler solution to this. Comments
    please

  2. Re: Automatic setting retention of tape media for less than 1 week ?

    wrong tree
    You can set retention for less than one week in the class.
    One of the enhancements of 3,2 was the introduction of variable retentions.
    You can change any one of the 0 - 9 retention periods to a value in days.
    Use the "Change Netbackup Configuration" button on xbpadm GUI
    Then click on "Retention Periods"
    I suggest changing one of the periods that is not being used.

    David Lofthouse" wrote:

    >We are running Netbackup Ver 3.2. The tape media options only allow a option
    >of setting a Retention period of not less than 1 week within the Backup

    class

    >The only way I seem to be able to pre-expire tapes is to use bpexpdate looking
    >at a list of media in last mounted order and then manually expire tapes.
    >Was thinking of setting some form of cron job that automatically expires
    >tapes before the backup begins. Need help in getting ideas on how to generate
    >a list of media in last mounted order and then incorporating this into a
    >script.
    >
    >Am I barking up the wrong tree or is there a simpler solution to this. Comments
    >please

+ Reply to Thread