Unix Server restoring NT client - errors - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Unix Server restoring NT client - errors - Veritas Net Backup ; I have searched for this question but don't quite find this problem, just some similar issues with NT restores Using Solaris Unix Server with NB 3.2, backing up unix and NT clients. I run all my admin functions on the ...

  1. Unix Server restoring NT client - errors

    I have searched for this question but don't quite find this
    problem, just some similar issues with NT restores

    Using Solaris Unix Server with NB 3.2, backing up unix and NT
    clients.

    I run all my admin functions on the unix master server, and try
    to restore a full partition of an NT 4 client, but receive lots
    of these errors:
    -----------------------
    Unknown filetype 'L' for .SeCuRiTy.nnnn (where nnnn is various
    numbers) , extracted as normal file.

    Cannot chown file .SeCuRiTy.nnnn to uid -993 gid -993, Invalid
    argument
    ----------------------

    This was trying to restore the NT client disk, onto a staging
    area on the Unix Master Server (planning to copy over to the
    NT server later)

    Questions:
    -what's causing this ?
    -What is the 'PROPER' way to restore NT clients? Should I
    be using an admin gui on a NT server to request NT restores? Would
    that make things easier? Certainly the path info is easier.
    -Should you only restore an NT client back to itself or
    another NT client (not a unix machine )?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Unix Server restoring NT client - errors

    restore procedure :
    1. Finding the image -ie using the console to browse for the images to
    restore
    2. Initiate the type of restore
    - simple ,the same client name to the same directory
    - alternate ,alternate path and alternate client name
    3. getting the image from the tape
    ../netbackup/logs/bptm (on media server)
    4. copy the image from tape to the client
    ../netbackup/logs/tar (on client)

    Based on your error message I would look at step two :ie can you let us know
    how you specify you are restoring to what system and which location ?

    "Susan McClure" wrote in message

    > I have searched for this question but don't quite find this
    > problem, just some similar issues with NT restores
    >
    > Using Solaris Unix Server with NB 3.2, backing up unix and NT
    > clients.
    >
    > I run all my admin functions on the unix master server, and try
    > to restore a full partition of an NT 4 client, but receive lots
    > of these errors:
    > -----------------------
    > Unknown filetype 'L' for .SeCuRiTy.nnnn (where nnnn is various
    > numbers) , extracted as normal file.
    >
    > Cannot chown file .SeCuRiTy.nnnn to uid -993 gid -993, Invalid
    > argument
    > ----------------------
    >
    > This was trying to restore the NT client disk, onto a staging
    > area on the Unix Master Server (planning to copy over to the
    > NT server later)
    >
    > Questions:
    > -what's causing this ?
    > -What is the 'PROPER' way to restore NT clients? Should I
    > be using an admin gui on a NT server to request NT restores? Would
    > that make things easier? Certainly the path info is easier.
    > -Should you only restore an NT client back to itself or
    > another NT client (not a unix machine )?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread