having problems with bpstart/bpend scripts - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on having problems with bpstart/bpend scripts - Veritas Net Backup ; HPUX master, aix client. I have the bpstart script shutdowm a ctrieve database. In the script there is the following line: su - ctadmin -c "/sh/ctreesnap.new stop all704x" At first this operation came back immediately, since it wasn't expecting a ...

  1. having problems with bpstart/bpend scripts

    HPUX master, aix client.

    I have the bpstart script shutdowm a ctrieve database. In the script there
    is the following line:

    su - ctadmin -c "/sh/ctreesnap.new stop all704x"

    At first this operation came back immediately, since it wasn't expecting a
    result. So I put the following after it:

    while test -f /lifepro/backup/all704x.wait
    do
    sleep 5
    done

    I had the ctreesnap.new script touch a file at the beginning of the shutdown
    and remove it after the shutdown.

    What is happening now is that, instead of going to the actual backup, and
    when the backup is finished, calling the bpend script, which brings the
    database back up, it starts the backup, but immediately calls the bpend
    script. The database is only down for seconds, instead of the entire time
    the backup is being performed.

    Any advice?

  2. Re: having problems with bpstart/bpend scripts

    Hi,

    Do you use multiplexing in your class ?
    Because when you launch a backup of a class with several stream your script
    is launched for every stream, and it the same for bpend script. If a stream
    finished in 2 min, the bpend scipt is launched, and your db is started but
    the other streams are still not backuped.

    Laurent.

    "Brett Jenkins" wrote:
    >HPUX master, aix client.
    >
    >I have the bpstart script shutdowm a ctrieve database. In the script there
    >is the following line:
    >
    >su - ctadmin -c "/sh/ctreesnap.new stop all704x"
    >
    >At first this operation came back immediately, since it wasn't expecting

    >result. So I put the following after it:
    >
    > while test -f /lifepro/backup/all704x.wait
    > do
    > sleep 5
    > done
    >
    >I had the ctreesnap.new script touch a file at the beginning of the shutdown
    >and remove it after the shutdown.
    >
    >What is happening now is that, instead of going to the actual backup, and
    >when the backup is finished, calling the bpend script, which brings the
    >database back up, it starts the backup, but immediately calls the bpend
    >script. The database is only down for seconds, instead of the entire time
    >the backup is being performed.
    >
    >Any advice?

  3. Re: having problems with bpstart/bpend scripts

    No multiplexing in this class.

    "Laurent Stirnemann" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Do you use multiplexing in your class ?
    > Because when you launch a backup of a class with several stream your

    script
    > is launched for every stream, and it the same for bpend script. If a

    stream
    > finished in 2 min, the bpend scipt is launched, and your db is started but
    > the other streams are still not backuped.
    >

    > Laurent.
    >
    > "Brett Jenkins" wrote:
    > >HPUX master, aix client.
    > >
    > >I have the bpstart script shutdowm a ctrieve database. In the script

    there
    > >is the following line:
    > >
    > >su - ctadmin -c "/sh/ctreesnap.new stop all704x"
    > >
    > >At first this operation came back immediately, since it wasn't expecting

    > >result. So I put the following after it:
    > >
    > > while test -f /lifepro/backup/all704x.wait
    > > do
    > > sleep 5
    > > done
    > >
    > >I had the ctreesnap.new script touch a file at the beginning of the

    shutdown
    > >and remove it after the shutdown.
    > >
    > >What is happening now is that, instead of going to the actual backup, and
    > >when the backup is finished, calling the bpend script, which brings the
    > >database back up, it starts the backup, but immediately calls the bpend
    > >script. The database is only down for seconds, instead of the entire time
    > >the backup is being performed.
    > >
    > >Any advice?

+ Reply to Thread