Wrong storage unit?? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Wrong storage unit?? - Veritas Net Backup ; We have Sun master (NBU 3.2) - server name pssun03x, robot name Robbie NT slave - server name ps-ras01, robot name Robbie1 Both have L400 tape libraries attached Multiple classes - one being NT_File_Systems, which has class storage unit of ...

  1. Wrong storage unit??

    We have Sun master (NBU 3.2) - server name pssun03x, robot name Robbie
    NT slave - server name ps-ras01, robot name Robbie1
    Both have L400 tape libraries attached

    Multiple classes - one being NT_File_Systems, which has class storage
    unit of Robbie1 (the one attached to NT server)

    Now and then we get a 219 for the NT class - the error:

    "219 akidisfs1 NT_File_Systems Incr pssun03x 07/18/01
    01:17:52
    (the required storage unit is unavailable)"

    As you can see the server named is pssun03x, later in backup window we
    get a successful backup (Ok a status of 1 anyway) and message:

    "1 akidisfs1 NT_File_Systems Incr ps-ras01 07/18/01
    01:44:24
    (the requested operation was partially successful)"

    As you can see the server is now ps-ras01(NT server) - which robot
    robbie1 is attached to. So this is not a show stopper as the backup
    occurs - any ideas on why it's trying to use the "wrong" library???

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

  2. Re: Wrong storage unit??

    Check the attributes in the class. By default, it says to use any available
    storage unit. I have set mine to the specific storage unit that I want this
    class to use. I don't know if this is the recommended method, but it works
    for me.

    "Joseph Mannion" wrote in message
    > We have Sun master (NBU 3.2) - server name pssun03x, robot name Robbie
    > NT slave - server name ps-ras01, robot name Robbie1
    > Both have L400 tape libraries attached
    >
    > Multiple classes - one being NT_File_Systems, which has class storage
    > unit of Robbie1 (the one attached to NT server)
    >
    > Now and then we get a 219 for the NT class - the error:
    >
    > "219 akidisfs1 NT_File_Systems Incr pssun03x 07/18/01
    > 01:17:52
    > (the required storage unit is unavailable)"
    >
    > As you can see the server named is pssun03x, later in backup window we
    > get a successful backup (Ok a status of 1 anyway) and message:
    >
    > "1 akidisfs1 NT_File_Systems Incr ps-ras01 07/18/01
    > 01:44:24
    > (the requested operation was partially successful)"
    >
    > As you can see the server is now ps-ras01(NT server) - which robot
    > robbie1 is attached to. So this is not a show stopper as the backup
    > occurs - any ideas on why it's trying to use the "wrong" library???
    >

    > --
    > Joe Mannion
    > Dept of Public Safety
    > State of Alaska
    > Ph: (907)269-5703
    > Fax907)269-5617

  3. Re: Wrong storage unit??

    Mine is set to the specific storage unit (Robbie1) for that class - thanks
    though.

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

  4. Re: Wrong storage unit??

    it would be a major bug because in theory if in one side you specified your
    storage unit properties to be used on demand only and within your class you
    specifically use the same storage unit ,there should be no way for the class
    to look for another storage unit ...
    Do you get the same behaviour with other class or other storage unit ?
    ie we have to find out if it is OS |storage unit|class
    output of bpcllist -class -U
    output of bpstulist -U
    your best ally is the /netbackup/logs/bptm so you can find precisely how the
    storage unit are accessed ...

    el zorro
    > Mine is set to the specific storage unit (Robbie1) for that class - thanks
    > though.
    >
    > Michael Kientoff wrote:
    >
    > > Check the attributes in the class. By default, it says to use any

    available
    > > storage unit. I have set mine to the specific storage unit that I want

    this
    > > class to use. I don't know if this is the recommended method, but it

    works
    > > for me.
    > >
    > > "Joseph Mannion" wrote in message
    > > > We have Sun master (NBU 3.2) - server name pssun03x, robot name Robbie
    > > > NT slave - server name ps-ras01, robot name Robbie1
    > > > Both have L400 tape libraries attached
    > > >
    > > > Multiple classes - one being NT_File_Systems, which has class storage
    > > > unit of Robbie1 (the one attached to NT server)
    > > >
    > > > Now and then we get a 219 for the NT class - the error:
    > > >
    > > > "219 akidisfs1 NT_File_Systems Incr pssun03x 07/18/01
    > > > 01:17:52
    > > > (the required storage unit is unavailable)"
    > > >
    > > > As you can see the server named is pssun03x, later in backup window we
    > > > get a successful backup (Ok a status of 1 anyway) and message:
    > > >
    > > > "1 akidisfs1 NT_File_Systems Incr ps-ras01 07/18/01
    > > > 01:44:24
    > > > (the requested operation was partially successful)"
    > > >
    > > > As you can see the server is now ps-ras01(NT server) - which robot
    > > > robbie1 is attached to. So this is not a show stopper as the backup
    > > > occurs - any ideas on why it's trying to use the "wrong" library???
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Joe Mannion
    > > > Dept of Public Safety
    > > > State of Alaska
    > > > Ph: (907)269-5703
    > > > Fax907)269-5617
    > > >

    > --
    > Joe Mannion
    > Dept of Public Safety
    > State of Alaska
    > Ph: (907)269-5703
    > Fax907)269-5617

  5. Re: Wrong storage unit??

    Thanks for input - will dig deeper and hopefully post any output.

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

+ Reply to Thread