I need a detailed listing of files backed up. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on I need a detailed listing of files backed up. - Veritas Net Backup ; Greetings, I am having a problem where my backup is sometimes not completing within its backup window. I'm suspecting that a job on the client is competing with the backup, and the customer refuses to believe it could be their ...

  1. I need a detailed listing of files backed up.

    Greetings,
    I am having a problem where my backup is sometimes not completing
    within its backup window. I'm suspecting that a job on the client
    is competing with the backup, and the customer refuses to believe it
    could be their job.

    I'm trying to get a detailed listing of when jobs are backed up on
    to tape, something like a progress log, but I don't see any option
    like this for scheduled backups. bplist -b -l seems to only give
    information as to when the backup job starts. Sun Tech support
    told me about a command called bpflist in the admincmd but they
    couldn't give me any details on what all the fields are.
    bpflist -help only gives info on the options.

    If anyone knows more about bpflist, or has another solution that
    will detail when files are being written on to the tape, please
    let me know. Thanks.

    Joe DeBattista
    AdCom, UCSF
    joed@itsa.ucsf.edu

  2. Re: I need a detailed listing of files backed up.

    I am not sure which platform you are using, but on Solaris 2.6, you can insert
    the word VERBOSE in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file on the client and
    create the directory bpbkar under the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs directory.
    This will tell you the files that are being backed up at the time of the
    backups.

    *****WARNING*****
    Depending on the size of your system, these files can grow quite large.
    I am not sure how much space you have allocated for the /usr/openv directory,
    but make sure you monitor the space on the filesystem.

    Deidra
    "Joe DeBattista" wrote:

    >Greetings,
    > I am having a problem where my backup is sometimes not completing
    >within its backup window. I'm suspecting that a job on the client
    >is competing with the backup, and the customer refuses to believe it
    >could be their job.
    >
    >I'm trying to get a detailed listing of when jobs are backed up on
    >to tape, something like a progress log, but I don't see any option
    >like this for scheduled backups. bplist -b -l seems to only give
    >information as to when the backup job starts. Sun Tech support
    >told me about a command called bpflist in the admincmd but they
    >couldn't give me any details on what all the fields are.
    >bpflist -help only gives info on the options.
    >
    >If anyone knows more about bpflist, or has another solution that
    >will detail when files are being written on to the tape, please
    >let me know. Thanks.
    >
    > Joe DeBattista
    > AdCom, UCSF
    > joed@itsa.ucsf.edu

  3. Re: I need a detailed listing of files backed up.

    Hi Joe,
    The best way to get the file list of what is getting backed up is to create
    the bpbkar log file on the client and you will find all the files that are
    backed up in that log file. Don't forget to disable bpbkar logging as it is
    going to eat up your hard disk space soon.

    Thanks
    Rajesh

    "Joe DeBattista" wrote in message

    > Greetings,
    > I am having a problem where my backup is sometimes not completing
    > within its backup window. I'm suspecting that a job on the client
    > is competing with the backup, and the customer refuses to believe it
    > could be their job.
    >
    > I'm trying to get a detailed listing of when jobs are backed up on
    > to tape, something like a progress log, but I don't see any option
    > like this for scheduled backups. bplist -b -l seems to only give
    > information as to when the backup job starts. Sun Tech support
    > told me about a command called bpflist in the admincmd but they
    > couldn't give me any details on what all the fields are.
    > bpflist -help only gives info on the options.
    >
    > If anyone knows more about bpflist, or has another solution that
    > will detail when files are being written on to the tape, please
    > let me know. Thanks.
    >
    > Joe DeBattista
    > AdCom, UCSF
    > joed@itsa.ucsf.edu

  4. Re: I need a detailed listing of files backed up.

    When I need to know the details, I simply look in

    /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/clientname/somedate/*.f

    These files have full path and file names of each file backed up during
    any specific backup. The filename includes which class the backup was
    for in case you do different classes on a client.

    A matching file in that directory also gives you backup summary data
    such as data volume, duration, and number of files.

    --
    Craig Danyi

+ Reply to Thread