What does TRV mean? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on What does TRV mean? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi I was looking at the logs in bpadm and I noticed these messages: 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /usr is in a different file system from /. Skipping. 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: ...

  1. What does TRV mean?

    Hi

    I was looking at the logs in bpadm and I noticed these messages:

    03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /usr is
    in a different
    file system from /. Skipping.
    03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /var is
    in a different
    file system from /. Skipping.
    03/23/01 02:24:26 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV -
    /export/home is in a
    different file system from /. Skipping.

    Does anyone know what they mean and are they serious?

    Cheers.

    Jon Tsu

  2. Re: What does TRV mean?

    If you have '/' in your file list for the calss, you are not getting
    everything you expect. On unix boxes, you need to list EACh file system or
    use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. This message is not serious in itself, but make sure
    your are getting everything backed up you think you are. I'm not sure what
    the TRV stands for, but those lines tell me you are backing up '/' and NBU
    is ignoring the other filesystems that are in the '/' directory but are
    different filesystems..

    James

    "Jon Tsu" wrote in message news:3abb1cdf@hronntp01....
    > Hi
    >
    > I was looking at the logs in bpadm and I noticed these messages:
    >
    > 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /usr

    is
    > in a different
    > file system from /. Skipping.
    > 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /var

    is
    > in a different
    > file system from /. Skipping.
    > 03/23/01 02:24:26 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV -
    > /export/home is in a
    > different file system from /. Skipping.
    >
    > Does anyone know what they mean and are they serious?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Jon Tsu

  3. Re: What does TRV mean?

    The TRV means that it is a trivial message, this is of less importance than
    a "WRN" warning message.

    "James" wrote:
    >If you have '/' in your file list for the calss, you are not getting
    >everything you expect. On unix boxes, you need to list EACh file system

    or
    >use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. This message is not serious in itself, but make sure
    >your are getting everything backed up you think you are. I'm not sure what
    >the TRV stands for, but those lines tell me you are backing up '/' and NBU
    >is ignoring the other filesystems that are in the '/' directory but are
    >different filesystems..
    >
    >James
    >
    >"Jon Tsu" wrote in message news:3abb1cdf@hronntp01....
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I was looking at the logs in bpadm and I noticed these messages:
    >>
    >> 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /usr

    >is
    >> in a different
    >> file system from /. Skipping.
    >> 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV - /var

    >is
    >> in a different
    >> file system from /. Skipping.
    >> 03/23/01 02:24:26 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV -
    >> /export/home is in a
    >> different file system from /. Skipping.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what they mean and are they serious?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Jon Tsu

  4. Do I HAVE to use 'all local filesystems'

    "trevor" wrote:

    >The TRV means that it is a trivial message, this is of less importance than
    >a "WRN" warning message.
    >
    >"James" wrote:
    >>If you have '/' in your file list for the calss, you are not getting
    >>everything you expect. On unix boxes, you need to list EACh file system

    >or
    >>use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. This message is not serious in itself, but make

    sure
    >>your are getting everything backed up you think you are. I'm not sure

    what
    >>the TRV stands for, but those lines tell me you are backing up '/' and

    NBU
    >>is ignoring the other filesystems that are in the '/' directory but are
    >>different filesystems..
    >>
    >>James
    >>
    >>"Jon Tsu" wrote in message news:3abb1cdf@hronntp01....
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I was looking at the logs in bpadm and I noticed these messages:
    >>>
    >>> 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV -

    /usr
    >>is
    >>> in a different
    >>> file system from /. Skipping.
    >>> 03/23/01 02:24:25 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV -

    /var
    >>is
    >>> in a different
    >>> file system from /. Skipping.
    >>> 03/23/01 02:24:26 mirbck mirwebt1-bu from client mirwebt1-bu: TRV -
    >>> /export/home is in a
    >>> different file system from /. Skipping.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what they mean and are they serious?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> Jon Tsu

    Hi,
    I am having the same problem as earlier reported. I get the TRV messages
    in the log that say /usr is not in the '/' file system - skipped, however,
    my filelist includes both / and /usr. Must I use the all local filesystems
    option. I thought I could list each filesystem as follows:

    /
    /usr
    /var
    /export/home

  5. Re: Do I HAVE to use 'all local filesystems'

    "Judy Malinak" wrote:

    >"trevor" wrote:
    >>
    >>The TRV means that it is a trivial message, this is of less importance

    than
    >>a "WRN" warning message.
    >>
    >>"James" wrote:
    >>>If you have '/' in your file list for the calss, you are not getting
    >>>everything you expect. On unix boxes, you need to list EACh file system

    >>or
    >>>use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. This message is not serious in itself, but make

    >sure
    >>>your are getting everything backed up you think you are. I'm not sure

    >what
    >>>the TRV stands for, but those lines tell me you are backing up '/' and

    >NBU
    >>>is ignoring the other filesystems that are in the '/' directory but are
    >>>different filesystems..
    >>>
    >>>James

    >/usr
    >>>is

    >/var
    >>>is

    >Hi,
    >I am having the same problem as earlier reported. I get the TRV messages
    >in the log that say /usr is not in the '/' file system - skipped, however,
    >my filelist includes both / and /usr. Must I use the all local filesystems
    >option. I thought I could list each filesystem as follows:
    >
    >/
    >/usr
    >/var
    >/export/home

    The above is OK...you will get messages like
    / backup will report the failure of
    backing up /usr - thats OK
    backing up /var - thats OK
    backing up /export/home - thats OK

    /usr will be backed up via /usr
    /var will be backed up via /var
    /export/home will be backed up via /export/home

    all that is acceptable or you could have a filelist of
    /

    and have cross mountpoints enabled :-)

+ Reply to Thread