Hardware recommendation - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Hardware recommendation - Veritas Net Backup ; We're looking at maybe using Veritas, and we'll likely use a Unix box to host the backup server. We're predominately an IBM RS6000 when it comes to Unix, although we could use a Sun machine if we needed to. My ...

  1. Hardware recommendation

    We're looking at maybe using Veritas, and we'll likely use a Unix box to
    host the backup server. We're predominately an IBM RS6000 when it comes
    to Unix, although we could use a Sun machine if we needed to.

    My question is how much horsepower does the backup server really need?
    (memory/disk/cpu). What kind of machine are you running it on, did you
    upgrade because of NetBackup ?

    Scott Brynen
    BC Ministry of Finance
    Victoria, BC
    250-356-8100
    Scott.Brynen@gems4.gov.bc.ca

  2. Re: Hardware recommendation

    We use a solaris 2.6 on E3000 machine for our master - also runs an ORacle
    database. ONly a few clients though - 3 sun, 7 NT machines. We also have a
    slave media server running on NT 4 (single CPU). We have not really done any
    testing but have noticed no issue with horsepower. Both master and media
    server have separate Sun L400 tape libraries (exabyte 220 in Sun clothing) -
    not sure how helpful his has been - just an overview of our set up.

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

  3. Re: Hardware recommendation

    NBU has two classes of servers, a master server and a media server. NBU
    will have a single master that holds all of the catalog information. A
    media server is any machine with tape drives attached. A master can also be
    a media server. The master server doesn't usually require the same hp as a
    media server, but you do want enough space to allow the catalogs to grow.
    My rule of thunb is make the NBU filesystem on the master equal to the
    capacity of one of your backup tapes. i.e. DLT7000 about 35 gigs. You cvan
    always make it less and grow it if you need to, though.
    The media servers require roughly 128M of ram per datastream that is backing
    up. i.e. if you have 8 tape drives, make it at least 1G of ram. CPU should
    be less critical.

    James

    "Scott Brynen" wrote in message
    > We're looking at maybe using Veritas, and we'll likely use a Unix box to
    > host the backup server. We're predominately an IBM RS6000 when it comes
    > to Unix, although we could use a Sun machine if we needed to.
    >
    > My question is how much horsepower does the backup server really need?
    > (memory/disk/cpu). What kind of machine are you running it on, did you
    > upgrade because of NetBackup ?
    >
    > Scott Brynen
    > BC Ministry of Finance
    > Victoria, BC