L11000 and vmchange - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on L11000 and vmchange - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, does anybody have a correct desc. of the vmchange command? I need both eject and insert tape via the 12-slot i/e port on an L11000 TL. The man page has nothing on the -e option, and it does not ...

  1. L11000 and vmchange

    Hello,

    does anybody have a correct desc. of the vmchange command?
    I need both eject and insert tape via the 12-slot i/e port on
    an L11000 TL. The man page has nothing on the -e option, and it
    does not work. Also I have seen a -sec option elsewhere. There
    may be more... (We have VxNB v3.2, Solaris)

    # vmchange -res -m dzk452 -mt dlt -rt tld -rn 0 -rh
    backup -rc1 55 -e
    Could not change media ID DZK452: Cannot move from slot
    to mailslot (219)

    I aim to move the tapes physically from a script.
    Any good practical idea will be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Zoltan

  2. Re: L11000 and vmchange

    "Zoltan Fekete" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >does anybody have a correct desc. of the vmchange command?
    >I need both eject and insert tape via the 12-slot i/e port on
    >an L11000 TL. The man page has nothing on the -e option, and it
    >does not work. Also I have seen a -sec option elsewhere. There
    >may be more... (We have VxNB v3.2, Solaris)
    >
    ># vmchange -res -m dzk452 -mt dlt -rt tld -rn 0 -rh
    > backup -rc1 55 -e
    >Could not change media ID DZK452: Cannot move from slot
    > to mailslot (219)
    >
    >I aim to move the tapes physically from a script.
    >Any good practical idea will be appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Zoltan

    Hello for inject you can test this commant :

  3. Re: L11000 and vmchange

    "Zoltan Fekete" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >does anybody have a correct desc. of the vmchange command?
    >I need both eject and insert tape via the 12-slot i/e port on
    >an L11000 TL. The man page has nothing on the -e option, and it
    >does not work. Also I have seen a -sec option elsewhere. There
    >may be more... (We have VxNB v3.2, Solaris)
    >
    ># vmchange -res -m dzk452 -mt dlt -rt tld -rn 0 -rh
    > backup -rc1 55 -e
    >Could not change media ID DZK452: Cannot move from slot
    > to mailslot (219)
    >
    >I aim to move the tapes physically from a script.
    >Any good practical idea will be appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Zoltan

    Hello for inject you can test this command :
    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rn 0 -rt tld -empty_ie

  4. Re: L11000 and vmchange

    Thank you Gerard, you induced an excellent idea. I just parsed
    some binaries for undocumented options. And found the one you
    have mentioned, and several others, like vmchange:
    -i insert from mailslot
    -e eject via mailslot (alas, I have no mailslots)
    -sec n Num of seconds for human intervention.

    The funny thing is that they are not described in the
    man pages, and not mentioned in the online help. But
    this way you can find a hidden description. Have
    a nice hacking, everybody! ;-) (Dont forget to publish
    the results!)

    Bother, I cannot test this nice command because of a silly
    robotic failure. Mechanical error. I tend to move a tape to
    the port for emptying it afterwards.
    The i/e port is empty and is in a good state.
    When I initiate a tape move from robtest or from the panel,
    the arm just hits the front door at the I/E port level two
    times and gives an error. I tried calibrating of the robotic.
    - nothing. The support has asked if the TL was restarted or if
    there is a tape not correctly inserted into the (empty)
    i/e port.

    Does anybody know the reverse command, i. e. how to send a
    tape to the 12-slot i/e port via a script?

    Thanks again,

    Zoltan

    "Gerard Perez" wrote:

    >"Zoltan Fekete" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>does anybody have a correct desc. of the vmchange command?
    >>I need both eject and insert tape via the 12-slot i/e port on
    >>an L11000 TL. The man page has nothing on the -e option, and it
    >>does not work. Also I have seen a -sec option elsewhere. There
    >>may be more... (We have VxNB v3.2, Solaris)
    >>
    >># vmchange -res -m dzk452 -mt dlt -rt tld -rn 0 -rh
    >> backup -rc1 55 -e
    >>Could not change media ID DZK452: Cannot move from slot
    >> to mailslot (219)
    >>
    >>I aim to move the tapes physically from a script.
    >>Any good practical idea will be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Zoltan

    >Hello for inject you can test this command :
    >/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rn 0 -rt tld -empty_ie

  5. Re: L11000 and vmchange

    Hi Zoltan ,
    I have scan all moduls with strings command and they are more
    parameters undocumended.I think that is abnormal from veritas
    "Zoltan Fekete" wrote:

    >Thank you Gerard, you induced an excellent idea. I just parsed
    >some binaries for undocumented options. And found the one you
    >have mentioned, and several others, like vmchange:
    > -i insert from mailslot
    > -e eject via mailslot (alas, I have no mailslots)
    > -sec n Num of seconds for human intervention.
    >
    >The funny thing is that they are not described in the
    >man pages, and not mentioned in the online help. But
    >this way you can find a hidden description. Have
    >a nice hacking, everybody! ;-) (Dont forget to publish
    >the results!)
    >
    >Bother, I cannot test this nice command because of a silly
    >robotic failure. Mechanical error. I tend to move a tape to
    >the port for emptying it afterwards.
    >The i/e port is empty and is in a good state.
    >When I initiate a tape move from robtest or from the panel,
    >the arm just hits the front door at the I/E port level two
    >times and gives an error. I tried calibrating of the robotic.
    > - nothing. The support has asked if the TL was restarted or if
    >there is a tape not correctly inserted into the (empty)
    >i/e port.
    >
    >Does anybody know the reverse command, i. e. how to send a
    >tape to the 12-slot i/e port via a script?
    >

    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Zoltan
    >
    >"Gerard Perez" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Zoltan Fekete" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>does anybody have a correct desc. of the vmchange command?
    >>>I need both eject and insert tape via the 12-slot i/e port on
    >>>an L11000 TL. The man page has nothing on the -e option, and it
    >>>does not work. Also I have seen a -sec option elsewhere. There
    >>>may be more... (We have VxNB v3.2, Solaris)
    >>>
    >>># vmchange -res -m dzk452 -mt dlt -rt tld -rn 0 -rh
    >>> backup -rc1 55 -e
    >>>Could not change media ID DZK452: Cannot move from slot
    >>> to mailslot (219)
    >>>
    >>>I aim to move the tapes physically from a script.
    >>>Any good practical idea will be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Zoltan

    >>Hello for inject you can test this command :
    >>/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rn 0 -rt tld -empty_ie

+ Reply to Thread