Netbackup Setup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup Setup - Veritas Net Backup ; All, I have an ATL P1000 with 4 drives attached to my netbackup server (Ultra 5 Solaris 7). I have 3 classes with 2 clients each in the first 2 classes, and 41 clients in the 3rd class. How do ...

  1. Netbackup Setup

    All,
    I have an ATL P1000 with 4 drives attached to my netbackup
    server (Ultra 5 Solaris 7). I have 3 classes with 2 clients
    each in the first 2 classes, and 41 clients in the 3rd class.
    How do I configure this to backup my clients in the shortest
    amount of time. I am confused as to some parameters and what
    they affect. (ie...max jobs per client,mpx per drive,multiple
    data streams)
    Thanks for any input!!
    Mike

  2. Re: Netbackup Setup

    "Mike Bach" wrote:

    >All,
    >I have an ATL P1000 with 4 drives attached to my netbackup
    >server (Ultra 5 Solaris 7). I have 3 classes with 2 clients
    >each in the first 2 classes, and 41 clients in the 3rd class.
    >How do I configure this to backup my clients in the shortest
    >amount of time. I am confused as to some parameters and what
    >they affect. (ie...max jobs per client,mpx per drive,multiple
    >data streams)
    >Thanks for any input!!
    >Mike

    Hello Mike,

    first af all the jobs per client. you have to multiple the number streams
    per client (estimated) by the number of drives you have.
    But don't set it to high, 10 jobs per client is fair. Then in your storage
    unit you have to specify the max number of streams per drive. For DLT you
    can set it to 5
    also de fragmentation for a DLT7000 can be changed to 2048 (something I know
    from a Veritas consultant).
    You shoult set the multiple datastreams in the classes on. for the normal
    system backups you probably take ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as file to backup.
    This will give you a stream for each disk (WINNT) or a stream for each
    filesystem (Unix) Don't use / if you have unix clients, this gives you only
    one stream and if this one fails,
    the whole backup is failed.
    There is also a another setting you must check. In the schedules, there is
    also a MPX/drive. This is not the same setting as for the MPX/ dirve in the
    storage units.
    This setting isn't much used by Netbackup administrators I've been told,
    but I always use it . Default there is only one stream per drive for this
    schedule.
    If you leave it this way, only four streams, each going to one drive are
    allowed for this class/schedule.
    Another schedule from another class can use the same drives again aslo max
    4 streams if the setting is unchanged. Until the 4 drives reach there max
    of 5 MPX/drives (5streams/drive)
    It is much better to set the MPX/drive in the schedule higher, I mostly take
    4 or 5. you also have to find out yourself, depending on your configuration
    what's best for you. But make sure your drives can stream,
    and therefor You need enough streams per drive.
    So to give You the settings I generally use:
    Jobs/client: 10
    MPX/DRIVE in the storage Unit: 5
    Multiplexing enabled in the classes
    MPX/DRIVE in the schedules: 5