More efficient backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on More efficient backups - Veritas Net Backup ; All, What are the factors I need to address to ensure efficient backups? How can I make sure that my 4 drives are being used at the same time for backups, instead of only one at a time? Is streaming ...

  1. More efficient backups

    All,
    What are the factors I need to address to ensure efficient
    backups? How can I make sure that my 4 drives are being used
    at the same time for backups, instead of only one at a time?
    Is streaming an option to increase backup speed?
    Yesterday, I had 2 classes start at the same time. There are
    2 clients in each class. I have 4 drives in my jukebox.
    I noticed that 3 jobs were active, all writing to one tape.
    Why didn't the other client run at the same time? I had 3 drives
    free?
    Mike

  2. Re: More efficient backups

    "Mike Bach" wrote:

    >All,
    >What are the factors I need to address to ensure efficient
    >backups? How can I make sure that my 4 drives are being used
    >at the same time for backups, instead of only one at a time?
    >Is streaming an option to increase backup speed?
    >Yesterday, I had 2 classes start at the same time. There are
    >2 clients in each class. I have 4 drives in my jukebox.
    >I noticed that 3 jobs were active, all writing to one tape.
    >Why didn't the other client run at the same time? I had 3 drives
    >free?
    >Mike

    Mike,

    You need to check in two places for the drives to be used properly.
    One is on the schedule level of your class, what is the MPX factor. An
    MPX factor of 3 will send 3 clients to the same storage unit provided that
    the storage unit has an mpx factor of 3 or more. Also check the Storage
    unit for the MPX factor and the number of drives. It sounds like you have
    the number of drives defined as 1 and an mpx factor of 3 on the Storage Unit.
    Hope it helps.

+ Reply to Thread