Daily Backup Administration - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Daily Backup Administration - Veritas Net Backup ; All, What are the daily reports you all look at during an average day for Netbackup Administration. Any advice as to what I should be looking at/for? Any scripts to tailor some of the reports? Mike...

  1. Daily Backup Administration

    All,
    What are the daily reports you all look at during an average
    day for Netbackup Administration. Any advice as to what I
    should be looking at/for? Any scripts to tailor some of the
    reports?
    Mike

  2. Re: Daily Backup Administration

    We weren't happy with the reports NetBackup had, and especially weren't
    happy that the job history falls off the face of the earth after 3 days (or
    whatever you set it to, but much more than 3 days makes the GUI unwieldly).
    YMMV. But because of this, we wrote our own scripts to process the jobs and
    store them in a SQL database - our reporting is now much more flexible and
    the trend history is invaluable. The folks at Cisco did the same thing
    (setup their own reports) for their GDM setup, which some of us got to see
    at Vericon.

    For what NetBackup comes stock with, I've noticed many people find the
    'Reports -> Problems' report to be very helpful, but it grows much too
    cluttered to be useful in a large environment (~ > 2000 jobs a day).
    Advanced Reporter helps with the trending problem, but not so much with the
    daily reports (you have to actively go look at Advanced Reporter, instead of
    it sending you reports each day). But it does print pretty little graphs
    that your management may like.

    I'm really hoping the daily reporting and monitoring is one area that
    NetBackup really steps up to in the upcoming v4.0 and v4.1 releases. They
    really could do so much more with it than where it's at today.

    - Mark

    "Mike Bach" wrote in message news:3a38f1b1$1@hronntp01....

    > All,
    > What are the daily reports you all look at during an average
    > day for Netbackup Administration. Any advice as to what I
    > should be looking at/for? Any scripts to tailor some of the
    > reports?
    > Mike

+ Reply to Thread