Sun E450's and DLT - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Sun E450's and DLT - Veritas Net Backup ; A quick question, related to some similar threads, but has anyone attached more then 4 DLT drives to an E450 (Internal SCSI and extra PCI SCSI cards) and successfully got them to work?? Regards Mark...

  1. Sun E450's and DLT

    A quick question, related to some similar threads, but has anyone attached
    more then 4 DLT drives to an E450 (Internal SCSI and extra PCI SCSI cards)
    and successfully got them to work??

    Regards

    Mark

  2. Re: Sun E450's and DLT

    "Mark Shaw" wrote:
    >A quick question, related to some similar threads, but has anyone attached
    >more then 4 DLT drives to an E450 (Internal SCSI and extra PCI SCSI cards)
    >and successfully got them to work??
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Mark

  3. Re: Sun E450's and DLT

    Mark, I have done this on a SUN 420R with 20 drives. Check your st.conf, sg.conf
    and sg.links files.

    ark Shaw" wrote:
    >A quick question, related to some similar threads, but has anyone attached
    >more then 4 DLT drives to an E450 (Internal SCSI and extra PCI SCSI cards)
    >and successfully got them to work??
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Mark

  4. Re: Sun E450's and DLT

    Although for what it's worth, unless you're running SSO, this is not
    recommended. A gigabit link can feed a maximum of 10 DLT7000 tape drives at
    full speed, and Veritas actually doesn't recommend anymore than 6DLTs per
    gigabit link (granted that's conservative, but not far off the mark). If
    you're only running at 100MB, you shouldn't have more than 2 DLT drives per
    host, or else you are shoe-shining your drives and gauranteed to not get the
    performance out of them that you paid for (at ~$7k a pop, that can be a
    costly loss to have).

    - Mark

    "Rusty" wrote in message

    > Mark, I have done this on a SUN 420R with 20 drives. Check your st.conf,

    sg.conf
    > and sg.links files.
    >

    > ark Shaw" wrote:
    > >A quick question, related to some similar threads, but has anyone

    attached
    > >more then 4 DLT drives to an E450 (Internal SCSI and extra PCI SCSI

    cards)
    > >and successfully got them to work??
    > >
    > >Regards
    > >
    > >Mark