Solaris/Sun L280 TSD Volume Management - Help! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Solaris/Sun L280 TSD Volume Management - Help! - Veritas Net Backup ; All-- Can anyone give me a clue on how volumes are managed for a Sun L-280 Autoloader/Tape-Stacker? I am familiar with managing NB w/ stand-alone drives but it seems the usual facilities don't seem to apply to a TSD. I'm ...

  1. Solaris/Sun L280 TSD Volume Management - Help!

    All--

    Can anyone give me a clue on how volumes are managed for a Sun L-280
    Autoloader/Tape-Stacker? I am familiar with managing NB w/ stand-alone
    drives but it seems the usual facilities don't seem to apply to a TSD.
    I'm on a little learning-curve here so please don't flame me.

    I have the drive up and running under NB 3.2 for Solaris as a TSD, but
    the management of volumes is not apparent to me.

    At a previous stage, I ran a full backup to check if everything is
    running. I had labled the volumes previously when I had the NB drive
    running under a psuedo-stand-along mode (it was running but I had to
    load volumes manually). I did not have any of the TSD ability set up at
    that point. I progressed into getting it running as a TLD unit. Now,
    after seeing some previous post regarding this drive, I re-established
    the unit as a TSD.

    Is there a different way that TSD volumes must be expired and re-labled?

    Any resource beit doc. page number, simple suggestion, tip, or whatever
    advice will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA--

    Ben

  2. Re: Solaris/Sun L280 TSD Volume Management - Help!

    Also, can some one indicate or point me to where it is that Veritas
    indicates which DLT media type to use with this drive. I have never used
    DLT before and the options for the TSD are "DLT" or "DLT2 cartridge
    alternate." I'm going out on a limb and presumming that the later is a
    higher density ... but I want to be
    sure.

    Again, TIA--

    Ben

    Ben Batten wrote:

    > All--
    >
    > Can anyone give me a clue on how volumes are managed for a Sun L-280
    > Autoloader/Tape-Stacker? I am familiar with managing NB w/ stand-alone
    > drives but it seems the usual facilities don't seem to apply to a TSD.
    > I'm on a little learning-curve here so please don't flame me.
    >
    > I have the drive up and running under NB 3.2 for Solaris as a TSD, but
    > the management of volumes is not apparent to me.
    >
    > At a previous stage, I ran a full backup to check if everything is
    > running. I had labled the volumes previously when I had the NB drive
    > running under a psuedo-stand-along mode (it was running but I had to
    > load volumes manually). I did not have any of the TSD ability set up at
    > that point. I progressed into getting it running as a TLD unit. Now,
    > after seeing some previous post regarding this drive, I re-established
    > the unit as a TSD.
    >
    > Is there a different way that TSD volumes must be expired and re-labled?
    >
    > Any resource beit doc. page number, simple suggestion, tip, or whatever
    > advice will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA--
    >
    > Ben

  3. Re: Solaris/Sun L280 TSD Volume Management - Help!

    Answering my own question here. DLT2 is actually one-in-the-same as DLT.
    DLT2 allows for simultaneous streaming (splitting) to separate DLT tape
    drives. There's no significance other than that and it can be used or
    disregarded if you only have one drive, according to Vertias support.

    Ben Batten wrote:

    > Also, can some one indicate or point me to where it is that Veritas
    > indicates which DLT media type to use with this drive. I have never used
    > DLT before and the options for the TSD are "DLT" or "DLT2 cartridge
    > alternate." I'm going out on a limb and presumming that the later is a
    > higher density ... but I want to be
    > sure.
    >
    > Again, TIA--
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > Ben Batten wrote:
    >
    > > All--
    > >
    > > Can anyone give me a clue on how volumes are managed for a Sun L-280
    > > Autoloader/Tape-Stacker? I am familiar with managing NB w/ stand-alone
    > > drives but it seems the usual facilities don't seem to apply to a TSD.
    > > I'm on a little learning-curve here so please don't flame me.
    > >
    > > I have the drive up and running under NB 3.2 for Solaris as a TSD, but
    > > the management of volumes is not apparent to me.
    > >
    > > At a previous stage, I ran a full backup to check if everything is
    > > running. I had labled the volumes previously when I had the NB drive
    > > running under a psuedo-stand-along mode (it was running but I had to
    > > load volumes manually). I did not have any of the TSD ability set up at
    > > that point. I progressed into getting it running as a TLD unit. Now,
    > > after seeing some previous post regarding this drive, I re-established
    > > the unit as a TSD.
    > >
    > > Is there a different way that TSD volumes must be expired and re-labled?
    > >
    > > Any resource beit doc. page number, simple suggestion, tip, or whatever
    > > advice will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA--
    > >
    > > Ben

  4. Re: Solaris/Sun L280 TSD Volume Management - Help!

    Hi Ben,
    I am also using a L280. The TLD will work fine for you. As for the
    DLT2 option, I think it is for situation if you have different type of DLT
    tape ( i.e 4000, 7000, 8000) .. this is to ensure the tapes written by the
    newer drive is not read by a older version of DLT.

    Ben Batten wrote:

    > Also, can some one indicate or point me to where it is that Veritas
    > indicates which DLT media type to use with this drive. I have never used
    > DLT before and the options for the TSD are "DLT" or "DLT2 cartridge
    > alternate." I'm going out on a limb and presumming that the later is a
    > higher density ... but I want to be
    > sure.
    >
    > Again, TIA--
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > Ben Batten wrote:
    >
    > > All--
    > >
    > > Can anyone give me a clue on how volumes are managed for a Sun L-280
    > > Autoloader/Tape-Stacker? I am familiar with managing NB w/ stand-alone
    > > drives but it seems the usual facilities don't seem to apply to a TSD.
    > > I'm on a little learning-curve here so please don't flame me.
    > >
    > > I have the drive up and running under NB 3.2 for Solaris as a TSD, but
    > > the management of volumes is not apparent to me.
    > >
    > > At a previous stage, I ran a full backup to check if everything is
    > > running. I had labled the volumes previously when I had the NB drive
    > > running under a psuedo-stand-along mode (it was running but I had to
    > > load volumes manually). I did not have any of the TSD ability set up at
    > > that point. I progressed into getting it running as a TLD unit. Now,
    > > after seeing some previous post regarding this drive, I re-established
    > > the unit as a TSD.
    > >
    > > Is there a different way that TSD volumes must be expired and re-labled?
    > >
    > > Any resource beit doc. page number, simple suggestion, tip, or whatever
    > > advice will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > TIA--
    > >
    > > Ben

+ Reply to Thread