Retention time - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Retention time - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi I have a problem with the retention time (I think). I have a pool called xxx and some tapes designated to it. When all the tapes are used once I want Netbackup to automatically use the oldest tape in ...

  1. Retention time

    Hi
    I have a problem with the retention time (I think).
    I have a pool called xxx and some tapes designated to it. When all the
    tapes are used once I want Netbackup to automatically use the oldest
    tape in the xxx-pool.That does not work instead it switches between four
    tapes where the retention time has not expired. How can I get Netbackup
    to use all the tapes in the pool and not just with these four. The
    retention time is set for 2 months and it overwrites after about a
    month.

    Thankful for all help!!
    /Sara

  2. Re: Retention time

    Keep in mind that you are not actually losing any data. NBU just knows how
    to make use of those tapes without removing any valid backup images.
    Retention does not mean that backups that have the same expiration date will
    be written to the same tape e.g. If you ran a full backup that has a 1 month
    retention and then exactly 3 weeks later you run a weekly backup that will
    expire in one week, the same day as your monthly, NBU will NOT mix these
    backups on the same tape. This is the meaning of retention periods.

    "SaraH" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a problem with the retention time (I think).
    > I have a pool called xxx and some tapes designated to it. When all the
    > tapes are used once I want Netbackup to automatically use the oldest
    > tape in the xxx-pool.That does not work instead it switches between four
    > tapes where the retention time has not expired. How can I get Netbackup
    > to use all the tapes in the pool and not just with these four. The
    > retention time is set for 2 months and it overwrites after about a
    > month.
    >
    > Thankful for all help!!
    > /Sara

  3. Re: Retention time

    I got around this problem by creating a schedule & pool for each day of the
    week, that way I force Netbackup to use a specif ic tape each day.

    "SaraH" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a problem with the retention time (I think).
    > I have a pool called xxx and some tapes designated to it. When all the
    > tapes are used once I want Netbackup to automatically use the oldest
    > tape in the xxx-pool.That does not work instead it switches between four
    > tapes where the retention time has not expired. How can I get Netbackup
    > to use all the tapes in the pool and not just with these four. The
    > retention time is set for 2 months and it overwrites after about a
    > month.
    >
    > Thankful for all help!!
    > /Sara

  4. Re: Retention time

    Use bpmedia and SUSPEND command. Tape will then only become writeable at
    end of retention period. This can be automated with a cron/batch job.

    "Germano Silva" wrote:
    >I got around this problem by creating a schedule & pool for each day of

    the
    >week, that way I force Netbackup to use a specif ic tape each day.
    >
    >"SaraH" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have a problem with the retention time (I think).
    >> I have a pool called xxx and some tapes designated to it. When all the
    >> tapes are used once I want Netbackup to automatically use the oldest
    >> tape in the xxx-pool.That does not work instead it switches between four
    >> tapes where the retention time has not expired. How can I get Netbackup
    >> to use all the tapes in the pool and not just with these four. The
    >> retention time is set for 2 months and it overwrites after about a
    >> month.
    >>
    >> Thankful for all help!!
    >> /Sara

+ Reply to Thread