want to run backup on first monday of each month - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on want to run backup on first monday of each month - Veritas Net Backup ; netbackup 3.2 solaris master server netapp w/ndmp tape library attached Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off a backup on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: want to run backup on first monday of each month

  1. want to run backup on first monday of each month

    netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    netapp w/ndmp tape library attached

    Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off a
    backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with cron?
    I guess I am just looking for any advice/suggestions from people who have
    gone down the path already.
    TIA . Derek.



  2. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month


    Hi,

    I am agree with you, the scheduler of NetBackup is not really relevant.

    I had this problem. In next months we will have TNG so we will use the nice
    scheduler of TNG which is really impressive to launch backup jobs. But for
    the moment we made scripts to chage the frequency of the backup. I explain
    :

    I have several schedules : incr_daily, full_weekly, full_monthly

    the frequency of a full weekly is days, for a full monthly it is 54 weeks.
    When we want to have a monthly backup (wich have a higher retention time
    then the full weekly) I change by a script (using configuration files) the
    frequency of the full_monthly and full_weekly.

    It works.

    I will have a look to give you the command to change the frequency.

    Laurent.



    wrote:
    >netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    >netapp w/ndmp tape library attached
    >
    >Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    >system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off

    a
    >backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with cron?
    >I guess I am just looking for any advice/suggestions from people who have
    >gone down the path already.
    > TIA . Derek.
    >
    >



  3. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month


    Hello Laurent,

    What is TNG and how can it be used to enhance the NetBackup scheduler? I
    also want to be able to control backups based on first Friday, last Friday
    etc; I figured I had to do some scripting but am still a little fuzzy on
    how to accomplish that. I could sure use an example or two if you've got
    one to spare. When I find out what TNG is (and who markets it) I will pursue
    it as well.

    Regards,
    Dennis Dwyer
    Enterprise Storage Administrator
    Tampa Electric Company

    "Laurent Stirnemann" wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am agree with you, the scheduler of NetBackup is not really relevant.
    >
    > I had this problem. In next months we will have TNG so we will use the

    nice
    >scheduler of TNG which is really impressive to launch backup jobs. But for
    >the moment we made scripts to chage the frequency of the backup. I explain
    >:
    >
    > I have several schedules : incr_daily, full_weekly, full_monthly
    >
    > the frequency of a full weekly is days, for a full monthly it is 54 weeks.
    > When we want to have a monthly backup (wich have a higher retention time
    >then the full weekly) I change by a script (using configuration files) the
    >frequency of the full_monthly and full_weekly.
    >
    > It works.
    >
    > I will have a look to give you the command to change the frequency.
    >
    > Laurent.
    >
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    >>netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    >>netapp w/ndmp tape library attached
    >>
    >>Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    >>system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off

    >a
    >>backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with

    cron?
    >>I guess I am just looking for any advice/suggestions from people who have
    >>gone down the path already.
    >> TIA . Derek.
    >>
    >>

    >



  4. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month


    Hi,

    Well TNG is a huge software (like patrol) from Computer Associate, which
    many many functionalities, workload, event manager for Unix, NT etc ...
    TNG is very expensive moreover if you just use the scheduler which is definitively
    amazing.

    If you don't have this software or the equivalent from other company the
    only solution that I would see is to use script.
    I have many scripts (to inject, insert tape, alerts, duplication ...) and
    one is for monthly backup. I will help you to carry out with this point.
    I will sen you some commands and clues, but I need to know which server is
    your master, because ours is a Solaris one, and the commands that I used
    works on Unix system.

    Regards.

    Laurent.


    "Dennis Dwyer" wrote:
    >
    >Hello Laurent,
    >
    >What is TNG and how can it be used to enhance the NetBackup scheduler? I
    >also want to be able to control backups based on first Friday, last Friday
    >etc; I figured I had to do some scripting but am still a little fuzzy on
    >how to accomplish that. I could sure use an example or two if you've got
    >one to spare. When I find out what TNG is (and who markets it) I will pursue
    >it as well.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dennis Dwyer
    >Enterprise Storage Administrator
    >Tampa Electric Company
    >
    >"Laurent Stirnemann" wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am agree with you, the scheduler of NetBackup is not really relevant.
    >>
    >> I had this problem. In next months we will have TNG so we will use the

    >nice
    >>scheduler of TNG which is really impressive to launch backup jobs. But

    for
    >>the moment we made scripts to chage the frequency of the backup. I explain
    >>:
    >>
    >> I have several schedules : incr_daily, full_weekly, full_monthly
    >>
    >> the frequency of a full weekly is days, for a full monthly it is 54 weeks.
    >> When we want to have a monthly backup (wich have a higher retention time
    >>then the full weekly) I change by a script (using configuration files)

    the
    >>frequency of the full_monthly and full_weekly.
    >>
    >> It works.
    >>
    >> I will have a look to give you the command to change the frequency.
    >>
    >> Laurent.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>>netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    >>>netapp w/ndmp tape library attached
    >>>
    >>>Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    >>>system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off

    >>a
    >>>backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with

    >cron?
    >>>I guess I am just looking for any advice/suggestions from people who have
    >>>gone down the path already.
    >>> TIA . Derek.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>

    >



  5. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month

    qsen001@attglobal.net wrote:
    >
    > netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    > netapp w/ndmp tape library attached
    >
    > Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    > system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off a
    > backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with cron?


    NetBackup scheduler is still only frequency based. if you want to
    schedule jobs on precise date, like the 1st of the month, then
    you should do a manual backup (bpbackup -i ...) from some other
    scheduler, cron fe.

    fx

    --
    fx@4js.com | Three things are certain:
    François-Xavier Peretmere | Death, taxes and lost data
    http://www.4js.com/ | Guess which has occurred.

  6. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month


    Hi,

    The probem by using the cron to launch backup job it is that you can have
    conflict with backup launched by the scheduler.
    As the retentions should be different, you may have a lot of backup errors.
    Or you have to change the frequency of your scheduled backups to avoid problem.
    Is there any solution ?

    Laurent

    fx wrote:
    >qsen001@attglobal.net wrote:
    >>
    >> netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    >> netapp w/ndmp tape library attached
    >>
    >> Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    >> system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off

    a
    >> backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with

    cron?
    >
    > NetBackup scheduler is still only frequency based. if you want to
    >schedule jobs on precise date, like the 1st of the month, then
    >you should do a manual backup (bpbackup -i ...) from some other
    >scheduler, cron fe.
    >
    > fx
    >
    >--
    > fx@4js.com | Three things are certain:
    >François-Xavier Peretmere | Death, taxes and lost data
    > http://www.4js.com/ | Guess which has occurred.



  7. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month


    Laurent,

    I run two Sun E450 servers as Masters (no Media servers) and they have Solaris
    2.6 and NetBackup 3.2 installed. TNG sounds very robust but my experience
    with CA is it's probably not too cheap either. I doubt that I could build
    a case to acquire it based on the scheduling piece alone. I would certainly
    appreciate any information on the scripts that you could throw my way. You
    can send them to this e-mail address:

    dfdwyer@tecoenergy.com

    I'm fairly new to NetBackup and servers (I come from a Mainframe storage
    amangement environment) but I'm learning new stuff everyday and really enjoying
    the hectic pace. I am attending the Veritas Vssion 2000 conference at the
    end of the month and hope to pick up lots of info there.

    Regards,
    Dennis Dwyer
    Enterprise Storage Manager
    Tampa Electric Company


    "Laurent Stirnemann" wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well TNG is a huge software (like patrol) from Computer Associate, which
    >many many functionalities, workload, event manager for Unix, NT etc ...


    >TNG is very expensive moreover if you just use the scheduler which is definitively
    >amazing.
    >
    >If you don't have this software or the equivalent from other company the
    >only solution that I would see is to use script.
    >I have many scripts (to inject, insert tape, alerts, duplication ...) and
    >one is for monthly backup. I will help you to carry out with this point.
    >I will sen you some commands and clues, but I need to know which server

    is
    >your master, because ours is a Solaris one, and the commands that I used
    >works on Unix system.
    >
    >Regards.
    >
    >Laurent.
    >
    >
    >"Dennis Dwyer" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello Laurent,
    >>
    >>What is TNG and how can it be used to enhance the NetBackup scheduler?

    I
    >>also want to be able to control backups based on first Friday, last Friday
    >>etc; I figured I had to do some scripting but am still a little fuzzy on
    >>how to accomplish that. I could sure use an example or two if you've got
    >>one to spare. When I find out what TNG is (and who markets it) I will pursue
    >>it as well.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Dennis Dwyer
    >>Enterprise Storage Administrator
    >>Tampa Electric Company
    >>
    >>"Laurent Stirnemann" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am agree with you, the scheduler of NetBackup is not really relevant.
    >>>
    >>> I had this problem. In next months we will have TNG so we will use the

    >>nice
    >>>scheduler of TNG which is really impressive to launch backup jobs. But

    >for
    >>>the moment we made scripts to chage the frequency of the backup. I explain
    >>>:
    >>>
    >>> I have several schedules : incr_daily, full_weekly, full_monthly
    >>>
    >>> the frequency of a full weekly is days, for a full monthly it is 54 weeks.
    >>> When we want to have a monthly backup (wich have a higher retention time
    >>>then the full weekly) I change by a script (using configuration files)

    >the
    >>>frequency of the full_monthly and full_weekly.
    >>>
    >>> It works.
    >>>
    >>> I will have a look to give you the command to change the frequency.
    >>>
    >>> Laurent.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>>netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    >>>>netapp w/ndmp tape library attached
    >>>>
    >>>>Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    >>>>system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick

    off
    >>>a
    >>>>backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with

    >>cron?
    >>>>I guess I am just looking for any advice/suggestions from people who

    have
    >>>>gone down the path already.
    >>>> TIA . Derek.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >



  8. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month

    Laurent Stirnemann wrote:

    > The probem by using the cron to launch backup job it is that you can have
    > conflict with backup launched by the scheduler.


    not sure i understand. as soon as the backup is fired, it goes to
    the queue, waiting for its storage unit to become active. there is
    no "conflict"?

    > As the retentions should be different, you may have a lot of backup errors.


    why errors?? it's a normal backup using the same processing as a backup
    fired by the scheduler. if the retention of this schedule is different,
    then you need a tape with this retention. but again, nothing particular
    here.

    > Or you have to change the frequency of your scheduled backups to avoid problem.
    > Is there any solution ?


    hum. i'm afraid i don't understand what you mean.

    fx

    --
    fx@4js.com | Three things are certain:
    François-Xavier Peretmere | Death, taxes and lost data
    http://www.4js.com/ | Guess which has occurred.

  9. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month


    > Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup
    > schedule system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if
    > I want to kick off a backup on the first monday of every month
    > will I end up doing this with cron?


    I faced a similar problem where we needed to run a full backup at the end
    of the month in addition to the weekly full backups. What I wound up doing
    was setting up a cron job to run a script at the first of every month ahead
    of the normally scheduled backups.

    The script would save the existing schedules to files, zero out the schedules
    and then pick out the time range for the weekly backup and create a new schedule
    for each client with that time range for that night. After the backup is
    all done the saved schedules are restored.

    It's an ugly way to do it but it has been working for us since April.

    Sean D.


  10. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month

    "Sean D." wrote:
    >
    > > Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup
    > > schedule system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if
    > > I want to kick off a backup on the first monday of every month
    > > will I end up doing this with cron?

    >
    > I faced a similar problem where we needed to run a full backup at the end
    > of the month in addition to the weekly full backups. What I wound up doing
    > was setting up a cron job to run a script at the first of every month ahead
    > of the normally scheduled backups.
    >
    > The script would save the existing schedules to files, zero out the schedules
    > and then pick out the time range for the weekly backup and create a new schedule
    > for each client with that time range for that night. After the backup is
    > all done the saved schedules are restored.
    >
    > It's an ugly way to do it but it has been working for us since April.


    yes it is. just create a schedule for the first of the month but *without
    any start window*. and use "bpbackup -i" in the cron job that run the first
    of the month.

    to answer the first question, you'll end up with cron. NetBackup scheduler
    is only frequency based, not calendar. version 4.0 *should* be both.

    --
    fx

  11. Re: want to run backup on first monday of each month

    Quote Originally Posted by unix View Post
    netbackup 3.2 solaris master server
    netapp w/ndmp tape library attached

    Their appears to be some lacking granularity in the netbackup schedule
    system. I am new to netbackup and just wondering if I want to kick off a
    backup on the first monday of everymonth will I end up doing this with cron?
    I guess I am just looking for any advice/suggestions from people who have
    gone down the path already.
    TIA . Derek.

    I'm not sure if you already got a reply for this; but here's a KSH script that may help.
    (Modify it according to your needs


    #!/bin/ksh
    #================================================= ===========#
    # Author : Derek Figueira
    # Purpose: Determine whether today should run a MONTHLY, WEEKLY, or DAILY job.
    #
    #================================================= ===========


    TODAY=`date +"%a"` # Ddd eg: Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    DAYNUMBER=`date +"%d"` # nn eg: 01 - 31



    #-----------------------------------------------------------------#
    # The following logic will run only 1 of the 3 jobs.
    #
    #-----------------------------------------------------------------#


    if [[ $TODAY = "Fri" ]] && (( $DAYNUMBER <= 07 ))
    then echo "MONTHLY: Runs on the first FRIDAY of every month"
    savegrp -F -G Monthly_bkup

    elif

    [[ $TODAY = "Fri" ]]
    then echo "WEEKLY : Runs every FRIDAY"
    savegrp -F -G Weekly_bkup

    elif

    [[ $TODAY != "Fri" ]]
    then echo "DAILY : Runs every day EXCEPT FRIDAY"
    savegrp -F -G Daily_bkup



    exit

+ Reply to Thread