name space on NetWare Servers - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on name space on NetWare Servers - Veritas Net Backup ; After the TechNote ID: 203321 (MAC files/dirs that end with a space or a dot (.) and are backed up from a NetWare volume, fail to restore when using the LONG namespace.)from veritas, I would like to know exactly if ...

  1. name space on NetWare Servers

    After the TechNote ID: 203321 (MAC files/dirs that end with a space or a dot
    (.) and are backed up from a NetWare
    volume, fail to restore when using the LONG namespace.)from veritas, I would
    like to know exactly if I must to do a backup
    for any name space on the 3.1x/4.xx/5.x NetWare Server with a NetBackup unix
    3.1.1 server and client for Netware 3.1.1.
    The same question about NetBackup 3.2. I think it is very important to have
    a good backup, but it is also important to take all
    the bandwith because you do to many backup, One for the name space DOS and
    one for the
    long (or os2) backup.

    Thanks

    Denis

    TechNote ID: 203321

  2. Re: name space on NetWare Servers

    Hi Denis,

    We had a big issue on our network recently along the same lines. We have a
    similer setup: Novell servers with a Unix host server running 3.2. Basicley
    we lost all MAC files. When the Veritas consultant was broutht in we learned
    the following:
    1. We had our targets setup up with longfile names space, this was verified
    correct by the rep.
    2. The status code returned was a 0 or 1 consistantly, which ofcourse was
    wrong since we did not have our MAC files.
    3. We discovered that only virgin MAC files were being lost. Any MAC files
    touched by a Win/Dos machine would be backed up and restoreable.
    4. Working with the rep we found a work around that seems to work for us: we
    split our targets up by individual volumes. Therefore we ended up with a
    target for the user, and shared volumes. Previously we had our user and
    shared in one volume called user_vol.
    5. Bottom line, we lost data, a lot of data and it was no fault of ours!

    As I stated above this works for us, but don't take it as a blank statement.
    Try is out it may work for you. Hope this was of help.

    IJJ
    USNA, MD.

  3. Re: name space on NetWare Servers

    Sorry for the spelling. "Darn it Jim, I'm a tech not a spelling champ!"

    Hi Denis,

    We had a big issue on our network recently along the same lines. We have a
    similar setup: Novell servers with a Unix host server running 3.2. Basically
    we lost all MAC files. When the Veritas consultant was brought in we learned
    the following:
    1. We had our targets setup up with long file names space, this was verified
    correct by the rep.
    2. The status code returned was a 0 or 1 consistently, which of course was
    wrong since we did not have our MAC files.
    3. We discovered that only virgin MAC files were being lost. Any MAC files
    touched by a Win/Dos machine would be backed up and restorable.
    4. Working with the rep we found a work around that seems to work for us: we
    split our targets up by individual volumes. Therefore we ended up with a
    target for the user, and shared volumes. Previously we had our user and
    shared in one volume called user_vol.
    5. Bottom line, we lost data, a lot of data and it was no fault of ours!

    As I stated above this works for us, but don't take it as a blank statement.
    Try is out it may work for you. Hope this was of help.

+ Reply to Thread