network question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on network question - Veritas Net Backup ; We are wanting to install a second gigabit card into our HP Unix NetBackup server. We have a dedicated back office network for our backup traffic. Does anyone know if I will run into any issues with adding this second ...

  1. network question

    We are wanting to install a second gigabit card into our HP Unix NetBackup
    server. We have a dedicated back office network for our backup traffic. Does
    anyone know if I will run into any issues with adding this second data line?
    I know I can balance the network traffic by defining the NetBackup server as
    one network ip or the other at the client level, but what about the traffic
    going from the server to the clients? I suppose I could regulate what goes
    where with routing tables, but that seems kind of cumbersome. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: network question

    Brett:

    We use a similiar infrastructure. If you're planning on adding the second
    NIC on the same backup segment, then you can use a nifty product called HP
    Auto Port Aggreggation software from HP. It will do load balancing for you
    and failover. Otherwise you can set up 2 IP's and manually set up your
    clients to point to one IP or the other. But that gets kind of messy.

    Russell

    Brett Jenkins wrote in article
    <39d3952a@hronntp01.>...
    > We are wanting to install a second gigabit card into our HP Unix

    NetBackup
    > server. We have a dedicated back office network for our backup traffic.

    Does
    > anyone know if I will run into any issues with adding this second data

    line?
    > I know I can balance the network traffic by defining the NetBackup server

    as
    > one network ip or the other at the client level, but what about the

    traffic
    > going from the server to the clients? I suppose I could regulate what

    goes
    > where with routing tables, but that seems kind of cumbersome. Any

    thoughts?
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread