restoring to a slave server when drive is down ! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on restoring to a slave server when drive is down ! - Veritas Net Backup ; we are AIX 4.3 NBU 3.2 1 master & 3 slaves with a robotic drive on each server this is my problem ! my NBU administrator is on holiday ! I want to restore some files which were backed on ...

  1. restoring to a slave server when drive is down !

    we are AIX 4.3 NBU 3.2
    1 master & 3 slaves with a robotic drive on each server

    this is my problem !
    my NBU administrator is on holiday !

    I want to restore some files which were backed on a slave using the second
    robotic drive
    the second drive is now unavailable (hardware problem)
    but the restore always wants to use it although it is down !
    I cannot find anywhere (using the GUI) how to specify which drive to use
    !
    am I missing something or have I a serious problem !

    regards

    Alick

  2. Re: restoring to a slave server when drive is down !

    We use nbu 3.2 on DEC, Solaris, NT servers :

    The only solution I know is to change the owner of the tape, I do not knnow
    the GUI on an AIX server, but I think it is the same than for other Unix
    server.
    1) you have to knbow which slave is the owner of the tape, during a backupo
    or a restore to tape is mounted "in is owner" (sorry for my English).
    # bpmedialist -ev <>

    you will find something like :
    server host = toto

    2) change the owner of the tape :

    #bpmedia -movedb -ev <> -newserver < choosed for the restore>> -oldserver <
    3) to check :
    # bpmedialist -ev <>

    4) restore your files

    5) redo 2) with -newserver toto and -oldserver < the restore>>

    It works on our architecture.

    Laurent.

    "alick cross" wrote:

    >we are AIX 4.3 NBU 3.2
    >1 master & 3 slaves with a robotic drive on each server
    >
    >this is my problem !
    >my NBU administrator is on holiday !
    >
    >I want to restore some files which were backed on a slave using the second
    >robotic drive
    >the second drive is now unavailable (hardware problem)
    >but the restore always wants to use it although it is down !
    >I cannot find anywhere (using the GUI) how to specify which drive to use
    >!
    >am I missing something or have I a serious problem !
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Alick

  3. Re: restoring to a slave server when drive is down !

    Oooppss

    all commands have to be typed by the superuser on the master.

    "Laurent Stirnemann" wrote:

    > We use nbu 3.2 on DEC, Solaris, NT servers :
    >
    >The only solution I know is to change the owner of the tape, I do not knnow
    >the GUI on an AIX server, but I think it is the same than for other Unix
    >server.
    >1) you have to knbow which slave is the owner of the tape, during a backupo
    >or a restore to tape is mounted "in is owner" (sorry for my English).
    > # bpmedialist -ev <>
    >
    >you will find something like :
    > server host = toto
    >
    > 2) change the owner of the tape :
    >
    > #bpmedia -movedb -ev <> -newserver < >choosed for the restore>> -oldserver < >
    > 3) to check :
    > # bpmedialist -ev <>
    >
    > 4) restore your files
    >
    > 5) redo 2) with -newserver toto and -oldserver < >the restore>>
    >
    > It works on our architecture.
    >
    > Laurent.
    >
    >"alick cross" wrote:
    >>
    >>we are AIX 4.3 NBU 3.2
    >>1 master & 3 slaves with a robotic drive on each server
    >>
    >>this is my problem !
    >>my NBU administrator is on holiday !
    >>
    >>I want to restore some files which were backed on a slave using the second
    >>robotic drive
    >>the second drive is now unavailable (hardware problem)
    >>but the restore always wants to use it although it is down !
    >>I cannot find anywhere (using the GUI) how to specify which drive to use
    >>!
    >>am I missing something or have I a serious problem !
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Alick

  4. Re: restoring to a slave server when drive is down !

    "alick cross" wrote:

    >we are AIX 4.3 NBU 3.2
    >1 master & 3 slaves with a robotic drive on each server
    >
    >this is my problem !
    >my NBU administrator is on holiday !
    >
    >I want to restore some files which were backed on a slave using the second
    >robotic drive
    >the second drive is now unavailable (hardware problem)
    >but the restore always wants to use it although it is down !
    >I cannot find anywhere (using the GUI) how to specify which drive to use
    >!
    >am I missing something or have I a serious problem !
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Alick

    Hmmm...I don't have a clear picture of your hardware. We have 2 slaves.
    One slave shares drives in the same library (same robot), the second slave
    has its own library (2nd robot). When we had problems on our first slave
    (same library as master, same robot), we put this parameter in our bp.conf
    file on the first slave to make the restores go through the master:
    add an FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry to bp.conf

    Of course, since the master and the first slave share the same library (same
    robot), we did not have to move tapes around. It sounds like you must move
    tapes from one robot to another...possibly having to do some import into
    the library.
    If you have not got this to work yet, may be worthwhile putting a call into
    Veritas to point you in the right direction too.
    Lisa Myers

  5. Re: restoring to a slave server when drive is down !

    If do not want to modifie your bp.conf, you can use the following commands
    :
    (I have already helped somebody last week with these commands).
    We use nbu 3.2 on DEC, Solaris, NT servers :

    The only solution I know is to change the owner of the tape, I do not
    knnow
    the GUI on an AIX server, but I think it is the same than for other
    Unix
    server.
    1) you have to knbow which slave is the owner of the tape, during a
    backup
    or a restore to tape is mounted "in is owner" (sorry for my English).
    # bpmedialist -ev <>

    you will find something like :
    server host = toto

    2) change the owner of the tape :

    #bpmedia -movedb -ev <> -newserver < slave
    choosed for the restore>> -oldserver <
    3) to check :
    # bpmedialist -ev <>

    4) restore your files

    5) redo 2) with -newserver toto and -oldserver < during
    the restore>>

    Note : all commands have to be typed by the superuser on the master.

    "Lisa Myers" wrote:

    >"alick cross" wrote:
    >>
    >>we are AIX 4.3 NBU 3.2
    >>1 master & 3 slaves with a robotic drive on each server
    >>
    >>this is my problem !
    >>my NBU administrator is on holiday !
    >>
    >>I want to restore some files which were backed on a slave using the second
    >>robotic drive
    >>the second drive is now unavailable (hardware problem)
    >>but the restore always wants to use it although it is down !
    >>I cannot find anywhere (using the GUI) how to specify which drive to use
    >>!
    >>am I missing something or have I a serious problem !
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Alick
    >>

    >Hmmm...I don't have a clear picture of your hardware. We have 2 slaves.
    > One slave shares drives in the same library (same robot), the second slave
    >has its own library (2nd robot). When we had problems on our first slave
    >(same library as master, same robot), we put this parameter in our bp.conf
    >file on the first slave to make the restores go through the master:
    >add an FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry to bp.conf
    >
    >Of course, since the master and the first slave share the same library (same
    >robot), we did not have to move tapes around. It sounds like you must move
    >tapes from one robot to another...possibly having to do some import into
    >the library.
    >If you have not got this to work yet, may be worthwhile putting a call into
    >Veritas to point you in the right direction too.
    >Lisa Myers

  6. Re: restoring to a slave server when drive is down !

    I think that it is the same guy ;-)

    "Laurent Stirnemann" wrote:

    > If do not want to modifie your bp.conf, you can use the following commands
    >:
    >(I have already helped somebody last week with these commands).
    >We use nbu 3.2 on DEC, Solaris, NT servers :
    >
    > The only solution I know is to change the owner of the tape, I do

    not
    >knnow
    > the GUI on an AIX server, but I think it is the same than for other
    >Unix
    > server.
    > 1) you have to knbow which slave is the owner of the tape, during

    >backup
    > or a restore to tape is mounted "in is owner" (sorry for my English).
    > # bpmedialist -ev <>
    >
    > you will find something like :
    > server host = toto
    >
    > 2) change the owner of the tape :