How to copy a tape? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How to copy a tape? - Veritas Net Backup ; One of the 5 elementals had damaged some of our tapes. How do I copy a tape? How do I know, which files are on a special tape? Thanks in advance Joerg...

  1. How to copy a tape?

    One of the 5 elementals had damaged some of our tapes.

    How do I copy a tape?
    How do I know, which files are on a special tape?

    Thanks in advance
    Joerg

  2. Re: How to copy a tape?

    joerg mainzer wrote:

    > One of the 5 elementals had damaged some of our tapes.
    >
    > How do I copy a tape?

    you can't copy a tape with NetBackup, you must use some other
    program. the dd Unix standard command is excellent for that.

    with NetBackup, you can duplicate images, with the bpduplicate
    command. check the manual for more details.

    > How do I know, which files are on a special tape?

    to get the images on a tape:
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimmedia -U -mediaid

    to get the files in an image:
    bpflist -U -d 01/01/70 -client -backupid

    fx

    --
    fx@4js.com | Three things are certain:
    François-Xavier Peretmere | Death, taxes and lost data

  3. Re: How to copy a tape?

    "fx" wrote in message news:39C8CE8F.998F2DAF@4js.com...
    > joerg mainzer wrote:
    > >
    > > One of the 5 elementals had damaged some of our tapes.
    > >
    > > How do I copy a tape?

    > you can't copy a tape with NetBackup, you must use some other
    > program. the dd Unix standard command is excellent for that.
    >
    > with NetBackup, you can duplicate images, with the bpduplicate
    > command. check the manual for more details.

    As I understand, the bpduplicate command also copy the backup. it can create
    a new copy of a backup, so we can use this command to copy all the backup on
    this media, then we finish copy a tape. Of course, the dd command is good,
    but you have to load the tape manully into the seperate driver, then run
    this command, then you have to unload the tape again manully.

    Please correct me if I am wrong

    ldf

    > > How do I know, which files are on a special tape?

    > to get the images on a tape:
    > /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimmedia -U -mediaid
    >
    > to get the files in an image:
    > bpflist -U -d 01/01/70 -client -backupid
    >
    > fx
    >
    > --
    > fx@4js.com | Three things are certain:
    > François-Xavier Peretmere | Death, taxes and lost data
    > http://www.4js.com/ | Guess which has occurred.

+ Reply to Thread