Upgrade from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Upgrade from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4 - Veritas Net Backup ; Has any one upgraded from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4 yet....If so how did it go, where there any problem areas. We are running Solaris 2.6...

  1. Upgrade from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4

    Has any one upgraded from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4 yet....If so how did it go,
    where there any problem areas. We are running Solaris 2.6

  2. Re: Upgrade from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4

    Murray Smith wrote:

    > Has any one upgraded from Netbackup 3.2 to 3.4 yet....If so how did it go,
    > where there any problem areas. We are running Solaris 2.6

    We have just upgraded from 3.2 to 3.4. As long as you follow the
    procedure laid down in the NetBackup Datacenter for Unix Installation
    Guide you should not have any problems. We were a little weary of the
    fact that you had to do a pkgrm of the NetBackup packages, but the only
    information deleted are the scripts and there is a very clear warning of
    that happening in the Installation manual.

    Even though we have not yet upgraded the clients, all of the backups ran
    as usual (a mix of NT, Solaris, AIX, Digital, Linux, and FreeBSD
    clients) with just one exception: one of the NT servers now refuses to
    backup and returns an error 71 (none of the files in the file list
    exist). We have opened a ticket with Veritas for that problem.

    The other small things that have cropped up so far have to do with the
    scripts I have written. The year field of the Start Date of the bpdbjobs
    is now 4 digits instead of 2, and ejecting a tape using the -e option of
    of vmchange asks you to press . Both were easily rectified.

    --
    Christian Thibodeau
    Open Systems Group

  3. Script for ejecting multiple volumes

    Hello All

    Has anyone tried to eject multiple volumes with one
    operation ? (Without bpvault, ofcourse). I was wondering
    if there is a script rigged up out there ? If not,
    I would like to know the command in netbackup that
    ejects the single volume ...

    TIA

    rajeev

  4. Re: Script for ejecting multiple volumes

    Rajeev Karamchedu wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > Has anyone tried to eject multiple volumes with one
    > operation ? (Without bpvault, ofcourse). I was wondering
    > if there is a script rigged up out there ? If not,
    > I would like to know the command in netbackup that
    > ejects the single volume ...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > rajeev

    Here's one that works with 3.1.1. I haven't tested it with 3.2 & 3.4.
    Enjoy.

    Regards,

    RCA
    Ryan C. Anderson United Defense L.P.
    UNIX Administrator http://www.udlp.com/
    (desk) 763.572.6684 (pager) 612.235.9936
    ryan_anderson@udlp.com Mail stop M313
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # File: tpeject
    # Author: Ryan Anderson (from Blayne Puklich)
    # Creation date: 2000-09-14
    # Time-stamp: " "
    #
    # Description
    # Eject a tape media id (EVSN)
    # Ejects media IDs passed as parameters; if there
    # are no parameters reads STDIN.
    #
    # $Log$
    #

    PATH=/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/admincmd:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    VMCHANGE=/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange
    export PATH VMCHANGE

    gMe=`basename $0 .sh`

    #
    # Eject the media ID(s) given to us.
    eject_tp() # media_id
    {
    $VMCHANGE -res -m $1 -mt dlt -e
    echo "Ejected DLT with media ID $1 to mailslot."
    }

    if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then
    #
    # Eject all tapes passed on command line
    for tpid in $*; do
    eject_tp $tpid
    done
    else