Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi All. I'm trying to back up an NT server with about 100 gigs of data on it. It contains home directories, with outlook .pst files and the usual stuff someone would keep in their network home directory. It's split ...

  1. Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs

    Hi All.
    I'm trying to back up an NT server with about 100 gigs of data on it.
    It contains home directories, with outlook .pst files and the usual
    stuff someone would keep in their network home directory.
    It's split into about 2 dozen or so classes, alphabetically. i.e. a
    class for userid's beginning with a, b, c, etc.
    We're running NB 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 backing up an NT 4.0 box running
    NB3.2 and OTM.

    There was a reg key for open file buffer size.....set to "0" it
    supposedly allows to back up bigger open files... (0 indicates no size
    limit?) but we tried that to no avail.

    Every night, almost every class fails with error 14.

    I see this error was discussed in an earlier thread but there weren't
    any responses that seemed like answers...just what seemed like some
    banter between people who know each other.

    Any ideas? Veritas doesn't seem to helpful on htis one.

    It's driving me insane!

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs

    Paul,

    Have you enabled and had a look at the logs on the NT client? We had a similar
    problem which was related to the amount of traffic we were trying to stuff
    down the network card. I presume your network is running 100Mbps full duplex?
    With 26 streams, anything less could well be a problem.

    Hope that helps,

    Dave.

    "Keating, Paul [SKY:C289:EXCH]" wrote:

    >Hi All.
    >I'm trying to back up an NT server with about 100 gigs of data on it.
    >It contains home directories, with outlook .pst files and the usual
    >stuff someone would keep in their network home directory.
    >It's split into about 2 dozen or so classes, alphabetically. i.e. a
    >class for userid's beginning with a, b, c, etc.
    >We're running NB 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 backing up an NT 4.0 box running
    >NB3.2 and OTM.
    >
    >There was a reg key for open file buffer size.....set to "0" it
    >supposedly allows to back up bigger open files... (0 indicates no size
    >limit?) but we tried that to no avail.
    >
    >Every night, almost every class fails with error 14.
    >
    >I see this error was discussed in an earlier thread but there weren't
    >any responses that seemed like answers...just what seemed like some
    >banter between people who know each other.
    >
    >Any ideas? Veritas doesn't seem to helpful on htis one.
    >
    >It's driving me insane!
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs

    Paul,

    I'm interested in why you are running so many streams, and why you are doing
    this from different classes rather than from just one class.

    What are you backing this system up to? If this is a library, how many drives
    does this system have access to?

    I think it makes much more sense to have one class per system, then if you
    want to have multiple jobs called from there you can enable multiple streams.

    THANKS
    RICH

    "Dave" wrote:

    >Paul,
    >
    >Have you enabled and had a look at the logs on the NT client? We had a similar
    >problem which was related to the amount of traffic we were trying to stuff
    >down the network card. I presume your network is running 100Mbps full duplex?
    >With 26 streams, anything less could well be a problem.
    >
    >Hope that helps,
    >
    >Dave.
    >
    >"Keating, Paul [SKY:C289:EXCH]" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi All.
    >>I'm trying to back up an NT server with about 100 gigs of data on it.
    >>It contains home directories, with outlook .pst files and the usual
    >>stuff someone would keep in their network home directory.
    >>It's split into about 2 dozen or so classes, alphabetically. i.e. a
    >>class for userid's beginning with a, b, c, etc.
    >>We're running NB 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 backing up an NT 4.0 box running
    >>NB3.2 and OTM.
    >>
    >>There was a reg key for open file buffer size.....set to "0" it
    >>supposedly allows to back up bigger open files... (0 indicates no size
    >>limit?) but we tried that to no avail.
    >>
    >>Every night, almost every class fails with error 14.
    >>
    >>I see this error was discussed in an earlier thread but there weren't
    >>any responses that seemed like answers...just what seemed like some
    >>banter between people who know each other.
    >>
    >>Any ideas? Veritas doesn't seem to helpful on htis one.
    >>
    >>It's driving me insane!
    >>
    >>Thanks.

  4. Re: Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs

    We broke it into smaller classes as the entire thing was failing
    previously, but now we get successfull backups of most "chunks" but 3 or
    4 of the classes continuously fail. (users\e*, users\f*, etc.)
    I think it may be due to numerous open files on the "chunks" that fail.

    I'm waiting for one of the PC guys to apply a patch Veritas
    recomended....wish me luck......

    Cheers.
    Paul

    Richard Doogan wrote:

    > Paul,
    >
    > I'm interested in why you are running so many streams, and why you are doing
    > this from different classes rather than from just one class.
    >
    > What are you backing this system up to? If this is a library, how many drives
    > does this system have access to?
    >
    > I think it makes much more sense to have one class per system, then if you
    > want to have multiple jobs called from there you can enable multiple streams.
    >
    > THANKS
    > RICH
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    > >
    > >Paul,
    > >
    > >Have you enabled and had a look at the logs on the NT client? We had a similar
    > >problem which was related to the amount of traffic we were trying to stuff
    > >down the network card. I presume your network is running 100Mbps full duplex?
    > >With 26 streams, anything less could well be a problem.
    > >
    > >Hope that helps,
    > >
    > >Dave.
    > >
    > >"Keating, Paul [SKY:C289:EXCH]" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Hi All.
    > >>I'm trying to back up an NT server with about 100 gigs of data on it.
    > >>It contains home directories, with outlook .pst files and the usual
    > >>stuff someone would keep in their network home directory.
    > >>It's split into about 2 dozen or so classes, alphabetically. i.e. a
    > >>class for userid's beginning with a, b, c, etc.
    > >>We're running NB 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 backing up an NT 4.0 box running
    > >>NB3.2 and OTM.
    > >>
    > >>There was a reg key for open file buffer size.....set to "0" it
    > >>supposedly allows to back up bigger open files... (0 indicates no size
    > >>limit?) but we tried that to no avail.
    > >>
    > >>Every night, almost every class fails with error 14.
    > >>
    > >>I see this error was discussed in an earlier thread but there weren't
    > >>any responses that seemed like answers...just what seemed like some
    > >>banter between people who know each other.
    > >>
    > >>Any ideas? Veritas doesn't seem to helpful on htis one.
    > >>
    > >>It's driving me insane!
    > >>
    > >>Thanks.

  5. Re: Error 14 backing up NT server > 100 gigs

    What was the patch that was recommended. I have the exact same problem.
    We also split the classes up and have a few left that fail.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread