NetBackup 3.2 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NetBackup 3.2 - Veritas Net Backup ; I have recently installed Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 !! Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to have a single backup run on more than one tape drive at the same time !!! Thanx...

  1. NetBackup 3.2

    I have recently installed Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 !!

    Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to have a single backup run
    on more than one tape drive at the same time !!!

    Thanx

  2. Re: NetBackup 3.2

    Matthew Keen wrote:

    > I have recently installed Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 !!
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to have a single backup run
    > on more than one tape drive at the same time !!!

    I believe this is not possible. But than again, why would you want to do
    this. It will decrease performance because more tape drives have to
    'share' data with each other. It's better to feed a drive with as much
    data as possible to get it to stream and keep it streaming.

    Cheers,

    Edmond

  3. Re: NetBackup 3.2

    Look into the "Allow Multiple Data Streams" option; if you are backing up
    several physical devices this will allow it to back them all up as seperate
    streams, simultaneously. You will probably want to give the relevant portions
    of the _Netbackup System Administrator's Guide_ a thorough perusal before you
    enable this, so you know what exactly it will do.

    jm

    --

    Jim Moechnig James.P.Moechnig@syntegra.com
    Desktop Systems Administrator phone: (651) 415-4711

  4. Re: NetBackup 3.2

    Matthew Keen wrote:
    >I have recently installed Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 !!
    >
    >Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to have a single backup run
    >on more than one tape drive at the same time !!!
    >
    >Thanx

    I wouldn't recommend this option if it's available. If you have a corrupt
    volDB file issue then you'll spend multiple hours importing the image from
    multiple media divided between those selected drives. Trust me it's no picnic!!!!!
    I don't recommend you do this.

    James

  5. Re: NetBackup 3.2

    Matthew Keen wrote:
    >I have recently installed Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 !!
    >
    >Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to have a single backup run
    >on more than one tape drive at the same time !!!
    >
    >Thanx

    Absolutely! And it is highly recommended with a very large systems.

    here's what it is (Jim was right), Multiple Data Streams. You'll also want
    to look at the File list directive ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and NEW_STREAM.

    First of all here's why:

    One of the main reasons for the Multiple Data Streams option was to allow
    the administrators to streamline their class list.
    Prior to this attribute, if you wanted the backup of one client to run to
    separate tape drives, you had to split up the file systems into multiple
    classes to achieve "parallelism". Thus, you would have say 15 classes for
    one large client. With Multiple Data Streams option, it will split up file
    list into multiple backup sessions based on File List Directives. If no
    directives are in the File List, then it will default to an Auto-Discover
    Streaming Mode.

    Your best bet is to use the File List Directives to manage the data streams
    being created by NetBackup.

    The two directives (as mentioned earlier) you will more than likely use are:

    NEW_STREAM

    or

    ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

    NEW_STREAM allows you to decide what will be in the data stream for this
    particular backup class.

    ex.

    NEW_STREAM
    /usr
    /opt
    /local
    NEW_STREAM
    /data01
    NEW_STREAM
    /data02

    Backup session 1 from this class will have /usr/, /opt/, and /local/ included
    while the second will be /data01 and the third /data02. Three separate backup
    sessions, from one backup class.

    Alternatively, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is just that, a File List Directive that
    will backup all local drives.

    ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES provides a level of protection that we didn't have before.

    1. Restart of failed filesystem only, not the entire
    class. (when using multiple streams)
    2. new file systems are covered/protected
    3. Ease of Adminstration, streamline the class list.

    One caveat, be sure to understand your client machines, while ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
    is a nice feature you may affect performance if your local file systems all
    reside on the same physical disk.

    Test and see.

    -David Chapa
    DataStaff, Inc.