removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives - Veritas Net Backup ; We are using Netbackup ver 3.1 on AIX 4.3 attached to a Storagetek 9710 does anyone have experience in removing DLTs (without manual intervention)after a drive has gone down we can UP and DOWN the drive OK using tpconfig but ...

  1. removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives

    We are using Netbackup ver 3.1 on AIX 4.3 attached to a Storagetek 9710
    does anyone have experience in removing DLTs (without manual intervention)after
    a drive has gone down
    we can UP and DOWN the drive OK using tpconfig
    but when using robtest (tld) the status always shows
    s d
    drive 1 (addr 1030) access = 0 Contains Cartridge = yes
    Source address = 369 (slot 370)
    Barcode = 000368
    SCSI ID from drive 1 is 5

    but when we try to move it, it says

    m d1 d2
    Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1030 to 1031
    move_medium failed, CHECK CONDITION
    sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x3a, ascq = 0x0, MEDIUM NOT PRESENT

    we have stopped and started the relevant daemons as instructed but still
    no joy !

    Anyone any ideas ?

    regards

    Alick

  2. Re: removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives

    from robtest (or tldtest) you need to issue the following command

    unload d1

    this will send a SCSI unload to the drive, then your move command should
    work.

    David Chapa
    DataStaff, Inc.

    if you enter '?' in tldtest, it will give you some help.

    "alick cross" wrote:

    >We are using Netbackup ver 3.1 on AIX 4.3 attached to a Storagetek 9710
    >does anyone have experience in removing DLTs (without manual intervention)after
    >a drive has gone down
    >we can UP and DOWN the drive OK using tpconfig
    >but when using robtest (tld) the status always shows
    >s d
    >drive 1 (addr 1030) access = 0 Contains Cartridge = yes
    >Source address = 369 (slot 370)
    >Barcode = 000368
    >SCSI ID from drive 1 is 5
    >
    >but when we try to move it, it says
    >
    >m d1 d2
    >Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1030 to 1031
    >move_medium failed, CHECK CONDITION
    >sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x3a, ascq = 0x0, MEDIUM NOT PRESENT
    >
    >we have stopped and started the relevant daemons as instructed but still
    >no joy !
    >
    >Anyone any ideas ?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Alick

  3. Re: removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives

    alick cross wrote:

    > "David Chapa" wrote:
    > >
    > >from robtest (or tldtest) you need to issue the following command
    > >
    > >unload d1
    > >
    > >this will send a SCSI unload to the drive, then your move command should
    > >work.
    > >
    > >David Chapa
    > >DataStaff, Inc.
    > >
    > >if you enter '?' in tldtest, it will give you some help.
    > >
    > >"alick cross" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>We are using Netbackup ver 3.1 on AIX 4.3 attached to a Storagetek 9710
    > >>does anyone have experience in removing DLTs (without manual intervention)after
    > >>a drive has gone down
    > >>we can UP and DOWN the drive OK using tpconfig
    > >>but when using robtest (tld) the status always shows
    > >>s d
    > >>drive 1 (addr 1030) access = 0 Contains Cartridge = yes
    > >>Source address = 369 (slot 370)
    > >>Barcode = 000368
    > >>SCSI ID from drive 1 is 5
    > >>
    > >>but when we try to move it, it says
    > >>
    > >>m d1 d2
    > >>Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1030 to 1031
    > >>move_medium failed, CHECK CONDITION
    > >>sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x3a, ascq = 0x0, MEDIUM NOT PRESENT
    > >>
    > >>we have stopped and started the relevant daemons as instructed but still
    > >>no joy !
    > >>
    > >>Anyone any ideas ?
    > >>
    > >>regards
    > >>
    > >>Alick
    > >>

    > >on an unload I get

    > unload d1
    > Opening /dev/rmt2.1, please wait...
    > Error - cannot open /dev/rmt2.1 (Device not ready)
    >
    > but there IS a cartridge in there waiting!
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Alick

    When a drive goes down with a tape in it here, we start by doing an
    mt -f /dev/rmt/2 off
    (on the appropriate device, of course) from the shell prompt, then use robtest
    to move the tape.

    This is on Solaris 2.6, netbackup 3.2.

    jm

  4. Re: removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives

    "David Chapa" wrote:

    >from robtest (or tldtest) you need to issue the following command
    >
    >unload d1
    >
    >this will send a SCSI unload to the drive, then your move command should
    >work.
    >
    >David Chapa
    >DataStaff, Inc.
    >
    >if you enter '?' in tldtest, it will give you some help.
    >
    >"alick cross" wrote:
    >>
    >>We are using Netbackup ver 3.1 on AIX 4.3 attached to a Storagetek 9710
    >>does anyone have experience in removing DLTs (without manual intervention)after
    >>a drive has gone down
    >>we can UP and DOWN the drive OK using tpconfig
    >>but when using robtest (tld) the status always shows
    >>s d
    >>drive 1 (addr 1030) access = 0 Contains Cartridge = yes
    >>Source address = 369 (slot 370)
    >>Barcode = 000368
    >>SCSI ID from drive 1 is 5
    >>
    >>but when we try to move it, it says
    >>
    >>m d1 d2
    >>Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 1030 to 1031
    >>move_medium failed, CHECK CONDITION
    >>sense key = 0x5, asc = 0x3a, ascq = 0x0, MEDIUM NOT PRESENT
    >>
    >>we have stopped and started the relevant daemons as instructed but still
    >>no joy !
    >>
    >>Anyone any ideas ?
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Alick
    >>

    >on an unload I get

    unload d1
    Opening /dev/rmt2.1, please wait...
    Error - cannot open /dev/rmt2.1 (Device not ready)

    but there IS a cartridge in there waiting!

    regards

    Alick

  5. Re: removing DLTs stuck in robotic drives

    Jim Moechnig wrote:
    >alick cross wrote:
    >>
    >> "David Chapa" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >from robtest (or tldtest) you need to issue the following command
    >> >
    >> >unload d1
    >> >
    >> >this will send a SCSI unload to the drive, then your move command should
    >> >work.
    >> >
    >> >David Chapa
    >> >DataStaff, Inc.
    >> >
    >> >if you enter '?' in tldtest, it will give you some help.

    >> >on an unload I get

    >> unload d1
    >> Opening /dev/rmt2.1, please wait...
    >> Error - cannot open /dev/rmt2.1 (Device not ready)
    >>
    >> but there IS a cartridge in there waiting!
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Alick

    >When a drive goes down with a tape in it here, we start by doing an
    > mt -f /dev/rmt/2 off
    >(on the appropriate device, of course) from the shell prompt, then use robtest
    >to move the tape.
    >
    >This is on Solaris 2.6, netbackup 3.2.
    >
    >jm

    Alick:

    Jim is right with solaris you can use the mt command from the command line
    to unload the tape. However, that is basically what robtest (tldtest) is
    doing when you do an unload d1. Take a look a the physical drive. Are all
    of the lights flashing on the drive? If that is the case, then you need
    to call your hardware service out. All flashing lights on a DLT drive means
    that the tape leader has been dropped.

    Check your error log (/var/adm/messages) for any info regarding that drive.

    -david

+ Reply to Thread