media mayhem - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on media mayhem - Veritas Net Backup ; I had a barcode fall off of a DLT tape in my robotic library. Before I fixed the label, I selected "Update Volume Configuration" and ended up putting the tape in the database without a label. Now that I've fixed ...

  1. media mayhem

    I had a barcode fall off of a DLT tape in my robotic library. Before I fixed
    the label, I selected "Update Volume Configuration" and ended up putting the
    tape in the database without a label. Now that I've fixed the label I want
    to stick it back into the database. When I select "Update Volume
    Configuration" again, it catches the difference between the robotic
    inventory and database contents and tries to update but gets the error
    "media ID not unique in database."

    I tried expiring the volume, but that didn't work because the volume isn't
    available for deletion.

    Any suggestions? The only thing that I can think to do is to slap a
    different barcode on the tape.

    -- Sander

  2. Re: media mayhem

    I suggest you logically move the tape out of the robot (residence=NONE), replace
    the barcode, then logically move the tape back in to the library. That should
    work. You may also want to try to 'update barcodes' on the selected piece
    of media.

    -David

    "Sander Wolf" wrote:
    >I had a barcode fall off of a DLT tape in my robotic library. Before I fixed
    >the label, I selected "Update Volume Configuration" and ended up putting

    the
    >tape in the database without a label. Now that I've fixed the label I want
    >to stick it back into the database. When I select "Update Volume
    >Configuration" again, it catches the difference between the robotic
    >inventory and database contents and tries to update but gets the error
    >"media ID not unique in database."
    >
    >I tried expiring the volume, but that didn't work because the volume isn't
    >available for deletion.
    >
    >Any suggestions? The only thing that I can think to do is to slap a
    >different barcode on the tape.
    >
    >-- Sander

  3. Re: media mayhem

    What I ended up doing was using the "vmdelete -m " command to
    remove it from the database and then I added it with the "Update Volume
    Configuration" option. A little brute force, but quick and I didn't really
    need the contents of the tape (although I suppose I could now import the
    tape's contents...).

    Thanks for your help, your suggestion sounds like it would have been a
    little cleaner.

    -- Sander

    "David Chapa" wrote in message

    > I suggest you logically move the tape out of the robot (residence=NONE),

    replace
    > the barcode, then logically move the tape back in to the library. That

    should
    > work. You may also want to try to 'update barcodes' on the selected piece
    > of media.
    >
    > -David
    >
    > "Sander Wolf" wrote:
    > >I had a barcode fall off of a DLT tape in my robotic library. Before I

    fixed
    > >the label, I selected "Update Volume Configuration" and ended up putting

    > the
    > >tape in the database without a label. Now that I've fixed the label I

    want
    > >to stick it back into the database. When I select "Update Volume
    > >Configuration" again, it catches the difference between the robotic
    > >inventory and database contents and tries to update but gets the error
    > >"media ID not unique in database."
    > >
    > >I tried expiring the volume, but that didn't work because the volume

    isn't
    > >available for deletion.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions? The only thing that I can think to do is to slap a
    > >different barcode on the tape.
    > >
    > >-- Sander

+ Reply to Thread