Windows NT Pre Backup Script - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Windows NT Pre Backup Script - Veritas Net Backup ; Is it possible to get NB 3.2 run from Solaris 7 to excecute a script on an NT box before it backs up. ie. shut down DHCP, WINS etc ? And of course a post backup script to start them ...

  1. Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    Is it possible to get NB 3.2 run from Solaris 7 to excecute a script on an
    NT box before it backs up.

    ie. shut down DHCP, WINS etc ?

    And of course a post backup script to start them again =)

    Many thanks

    Pete

  2. Re: Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    No. NetBackup does not formally do pre/post backup scripts for NTFS/UFS/VFS
    and etc. file systems. For various NetBackup extensions like Oracle,
    NetBackup provides EBU/RMAN scripts which will do things like shutdown the
    database and etc.

    My 0.02.

    -jlh

    Pete Brooker wrote in message news:39112b97@hronntp01....
    > Is it possible to get NB 3.2 run from Solaris 7 to excecute a script on an
    > NT box before it backs up.
    >
    > ie. shut down DHCP, WINS etc ?
    >
    > And of course a post backup script to start them again =)
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Pete

  3. Re: Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    Pete Brooker wrote:

    > Is it possible to get NB 3.2 run from Solaris 7 to excecute a script on an
    > NT box before it backs up.
    >
    > ie. shut down DHCP, WINS etc ?
    >
    > And of course a post backup script to start them again =)

    Yes, read about the notify scripts in the System Administrator's
    Guide (NB for Unix) pages 300-316, especially about the
    bpstart_notify.bat and bpend_notify.bat scripts.

    Roland Wroblewski (wroblewski@gmd.de)
    GMD - Forschungszentrum Informationstechnik GmbH
    German National Research Center for Information Technology

  4. Re: Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    I would argue against putting things in the "bp start/notify" files. The
    reason being is because these neat, featureless scripts can become a
    complicated mess of hacked code and etc. These scripts were not meant for
    fancy pre/post jobs.

    Furthermore, what if you have several class each with various requirements
    for pre/post processing, what do you do then? I suppose you'd hack the "bp
    start" files to the point where they'd become applications versus scripts.

    Just my 0.02.

    -jlh
    Pete Brooker wrote in message news:39112b97@hronntp01....
    > Is it possible to get NB 3.2 run from Solaris 7 to excecute a script on an
    > NT box before it backs up.
    >
    > ie. shut down DHCP, WINS etc ?
    >
    > And of course a post backup script to start them again =)
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Pete

  5. Re: Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    Jason Harrell wrote:

    > Furthermore, what if you have several class each with various requirements
    > for pre/post processing, what do you do then? I suppose you'd hack the "bp
    > start" files to the point where they'd become applications versus scripts.

    No. You can create scripts which apply only to a specific class
    or even a specific class and schedule combination.
    It's all documented in the manual...

    --rw

  6. Re: Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    At version 3.2, we experienced a problem with hacking the bp_start/end_notify
    scripts to shutdown/startup the oracle database for a particular Class.
    It would appear that if you run a backup in muliple streams, then the start&end
    scripts will execute around each stream issued. This means that the first
    backup stream to complete will reload the database, whilst the other streams
    continue to backup. This in effect makes the backup un-usable for recovery
    purposes. I believe Veritas have raised a tech-note about this incident
    and I feel it may be something which you ought to be aware of.

    Roland Wroblewski wrote:
    >Jason Harrell wrote:
    >>
    >> Furthermore, what if you have several class each with various requirements
    >> for pre/post processing, what do you do then? I suppose you'd hack the

    "bp
    >> start" files to the point where they'd become applications versus scripts.
    >>

    >No. You can create scripts which apply only to a specific class
    >or even a specific class and schedule combination.
    >It's all documented in the manual...
    >

    >--rw

  7. Re: Windows NT Pre Backup Script

    Jason:

    If they weren't meant for pre/post processing, then what were they meant
    for?

    Naturally they were designed for this exact reason.

    Angela:

    Have you tried the Oracle DB Extension?

    "Angela Lister" wrote:

    >At version 3.2, we experienced a problem with hacking the bp_start/end_notify
    >scripts to shutdown/startup the oracle database for a particular Class.

    >It would appear that if you run a backup in muliple streams, then the start&end
    >scripts will execute around each stream issued. This means that the first
    >backup stream to complete will reload the database, whilst the other streams
    >continue to backup. This in effect makes the backup un-usable for recovery
    >purposes. I believe Veritas have raised a tech-note about this incident
    >and I feel it may be something which you ought to be aware of.
    >
    >Roland Wroblewski wrote:
    >>Jason Harrell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Furthermore, what if you have several class each with various requirements
    >>> for pre/post processing, what do you do then? I suppose you'd hack the

    >"bp
    >>> start" files to the point where they'd become applications versus scripts.
    >>>

    >>No. You can create scripts which apply only to a specific class
    >>or even a specific class and schedule combination.
    >>It's all documented in the manual...
    >>

    >>--rw

+ Reply to Thread