questions about alternate methods of db backup - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on questions about alternate methods of db backup - Veritas Net Backup ; We are currently letting Veritas control the backup of the Veritas database after each successful schedule. This is causing us some problems when we have a gap between scheduled jobs, of say 15,30, even 60 minutes, and the our database ...

  1. questions about alternate methods of db backup

    We are currently letting Veritas control the backup of the Veritas database
    after each successful schedule. This is causing us some problems when we
    have a gap between scheduled jobs, of say 15,30, even 60 minutes, and the
    our database backup is taking 60+ minutes.

    1st question: If I disable the database backup in db configuration and
    schedule it through cron, does it react the same way, as far as locking the
    database and not permitting backups until it is finished?

    2nd question: If I choose to schedule the database as a backup job within
    the normal Veritas schedule and back up the /usr/openv directory, what
    issues do I need to consider, as far as disaster recovery, or simply
    database recovery using this backup method?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: questions about alternate methods of db backup

    Answer to your questions

    YES.

    The database will not be locked and therefore is not considered a true recovery
    method for DR purposes. bpbackupdb, is an application (much like oracles
    tools or informix tools) that allows you to backup the database independent
    of itself. The NetBackup database knows nothing of any bpbackupdb processes
    that have run. You will potentially have several problems in recovery if
    you rely on any other method other than bpbackupdb.

    Now, a way to get around this problem with the backup of the db happening
    when there are gaps is to consider overlapping your schedules so you take
    only one db backup per night. This has been quite effective for a number
    of my clients.

    -David Chapa
    "Brett Jenkins" wrote:
    >We are currently letting Veritas control the backup of the Veritas database
    >after each successful schedule. This is causing us some problems when we
    >have a gap between scheduled jobs, of say 15,30, even 60 minutes, and the
    >our database backup is taking 60+ minutes.
    >
    >1st question: If I disable the database backup in db configuration and
    >schedule it through cron, does it react the same way, as far as locking

    the
    >database and not permitting backups until it is finished?
    >
    >2nd question: If I choose to schedule the database as a backup job within
    >the normal Veritas schedule and back up the /usr/openv directory, what
    >issues do I need to consider, as far as disaster recovery, or simply
    >database recovery using this backup method?
    >
    >Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread