Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed) - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed) - Veritas Net Backup ; A question for an expert. 1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX??? For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with Windows NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect ...

  1. Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed)

    A question for an expert.

    1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX???

    For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with Windows
    NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect it to an Exabyte X80 lybrary
    with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr capacity. we have 25 NT servers and 4
    small unix box.

    Some tells me to choose Unix as a master, do you have any solid reason. Becose
    i had to justify the 10K$ hier price for the unix version!

    Any problems with Netbackup version for NT master backup server and backuping
    Unix(restoring from scratch)?

    2- All the server are connect to 100mb ethenet switch. My second question
    is : I think the bottle neck gone be the network, should i install a second
    100mb ethernet card for dual homing or install one gigabyte card in my backup
    server connect directly with my other server switch.

    3- The PCI bus on my Sun ultra10(sparc cpu at 440mhz) server is only at 33mhz,
    but if ear that sun make something to boost the bus performance, do your
    unix guy know what they did? is this a bad idee to put my master backup and
    media server on it.

    Some one tell me that unix is betther and faster on I/O. do you think it
    is true and a good reason enought to put my master backup server on My Sun
    ultra10 server (running solaris 2.7)

  2. Re: Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed)

    Alain:

    Will this network eventually grow beyond the 29 servers you currently support?

    Is NT the primary operating system and Solaris there for a specialty application?

    The person who will be supporting NetBackup, would you consider them more
    of an NT or Unix person? If the answer is NT, go no further, you have answered
    your own question.

    If it were me (primarily a Unix person), I would lean towards Solaris. Basic
    reason for that is any custom scripting can be accomplished quite quickly
    with Solaris. Solaris is a much more stable operating system (I know I may
    catch heat here) than NT. I would rather trust Solaris to my NetBackup Master
    Server than NT. Have you ever applied a Service Pak to you NT servers and
    made Microsoft suggested security changes and had your machine 'blue screen'?
    Have you ever had this happen with Solaris when applying patches? I have
    had it happen with NT on several occasions and with Solaris, well it has
    never been a problem.

    Having said that...

    As far as the NetBackup NT version. I have had no problems with NetBackup
    Server for NT, none. Only the Operating system problems here and there,
    but the application works well. I have had no problems restoring a Unix
    server from an NT NetBackup Server.

    Hope this helps in your decision process.

    "Alain richard" wrote:

    >A question for an expert.
    >
    >1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX???
    >
    >For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with

    Windows
    >NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect it to an Exabyte X80 lybrary
    >with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr capacity. we have 25 NT servers and

    4
    >small unix box.
    >
    >Some tells me to choose Unix as a master, do you have any solid reason.

    Becose
    >i had to justify the 10K$ hier price for the unix version!
    >
    >Any problems with Netbackup version for NT master backup server and backuping
    >Unix(restoring from scratch)?
    >

    >2- All the server are connect to 100mb ethenet switch. My second question
    >is : I think the bottle neck gone be the network, should i install a second
    >100mb ethernet card for dual homing or install one gigabyte card in my backup
    >server connect directly with my other server switch.
    >

    >3- The PCI bus on my Sun ultra10(sparc cpu at 440mhz) server is only at

    33mhz,
    >but if ear that sun make something to boost the bus performance, do your
    >unix guy know what they did? is this a bad idee to put my master backup

    and
    >media server on it.
    >
    >Some one tell me that unix is betther and faster on I/O. do you think it
    >is true and a good reason enought to put my master backup server on My Sun
    >ultra10 server (running solaris 2.7)

  3. Re: Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed)

    More input - not a guru on Unix or NT but would definitely side with Unix for
    robustness, flexibility (scripting etc) and just for being there, better multiuser
    capability etc. We are running Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 backing up NT clients.

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

  4. Re: Netbackup on UNIX or NT (an speed)

    Thanks for your answer,
    What king of true put you got,on what kind of lan?
    I was wandering if my Sun ulta10 is to small for the job?

    Becose we just by a Exabyte X80 lybrary with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr
    capacity. we have 25 NT servers and 4 small unix box, 30 remote NT server(not
    in the central backup yet).

    Any one have a comment?

    Joseph Mannion wrote:
    >--------------BEC4672D460E9E9225B4D993
    >
    >More input - not a guru on Unix or NT but would definitely side with Unix

    for
    >robustness, flexibility (scripting etc) and just for being there, better

    multiuser
    >capability etc. We are running Netbackup 3.2 on Solaris 2.6 backing up NT

    clients.

    >Alain richard wrote:
    >
    >> A question for an expert.
    >>
    >> 1- We have to chose Netbackup Master backup server on NT or UNIX???
    >>
    >> For the technologie we have tho choose form a compaq 3500(scsi LVD)with

    Windows
    >> NT or a Sun Utra10(scsi LVD). we could connect it to an Exabyte X80 lybrary
    >> with two Mamouth2 drives = 864Gb/hr capacity. we have 25 NT servers and

    4
    >> small unix box.
    >>
    >> Some tells me to choose Unix as a master, do you have any solid reason.

    Becose
    >> i had to justify the 10K$ hier price for the unix version!
    >>
    >> Any problems with Netbackup version for NT master backup server and backuping
    >> Unix(restoring from scratch)?
    >>

    >> 2- All the server are connect to 100mb ethenet switch. My second question
    >> is : I think the bottle neck gone be the network, should i install a second
    >> 100mb ethernet card for dual homing or install one gigabyte card in my

    backup
    >> server connect directly with my other server switch.
    >>
    >> 3- The PCI bus on my Sun ultra10(sparc cpu at 440mhz) server is only at

    33mhz,
    >> but if ear that sun make something to boost the bus performance, do your
    >> unix guy know what they did? is this a bad idee to put my master backup

    and
    >> media server on it.
    >>
    >> Some one tell me that unix is betther and faster on I/O. do you think

    it
    >> is true and a good reason enought to put my master backup server on My

    Sun
    >> ultra10 server (running solaris 2.7)

    >--
    >Joe Mannion
    >Dept of Public Safety
    >State of Alaska
    >Ph: (907)269-5703
    >Fax907)269-5617
    >

    >--------------BEC4672D460E9E9225B4D993
    >
    >begin:vcard
    >n:Mannion;Joseph
    >tel;fax907)269-5617
    >tel;work907)269-5703
    >x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    >org:State of Alaska;Public Safety
    >adr:;;5700 Tudor Road;Anchorage;AK;99507;USA
    >version:2.1
    >email;internet:Joseph_Mannion@dps.state.ak.us
    >title:AP V
    >x-mozilla-cpt:;13216